Sign in to follow this  
Angeldr

Question about bananas

Angeldr

Being spanish, I grew up eating green bananas. I was wondering if anyone know whether green bananas, a.k.a Plantains or Platanos, are available in the Philippines? I've seen videos of vendors in local markets selling something that looks like a short thick banana but the ones I am looking for are green when they are pulled of the tree and turn yellow after they have ripened.

post-13019-0-97015500-1377311828_thumb.jpg

Davaoeno

bananas -even green ones- are not plantains .   I have seen lots of plantain in Mexico and the DF but seldom here .

Britishandproud

When the banana peel is greenish, Is there a difference to a yellow peel banana?

Davaoeno

The inside of the plantain is usually a pinkish color, and they are not good eating raw.  In the DF they are a staple food item and served at most meals - instead of rice or potatoes. [ or poi in Hawaii]

Knowdafish

There is a very high starch banana grown here that is similar to a plantain. It is not sweet like a "regular" banana and most people would not enjoy peeling and eating one. They are used for all kinds of dishes including one of my favorites - banana-que! 

bananaque+(11)_timestamp.JPG

• Like 1

Davaoeno

There is a very high starch banana grown here that is similar to a plantain. It is not sweet like a "regular" banana and most people would not enjoy peeling and eating one. They are used for all kinds of dishes including one of my favorites - banana-que! 

bananaque+(11)_timestamp.JPG

judging by the shape i assume you are referring to what i have heard called native banana- which is shorter and wider, and often boiled before eating ??  And you are correct - I dont like them much . 

Canuck Joe

judging by the shape i assume you are referring to what i have heard called native banana- which is shorter and wider, and often boiled before eating ??  And you are correct - I dont like them much . 

that banana is called saba and I can only eat it cooked....we grow different varieties in the empty lots around our house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saba_banana

• Like 1

Knowdafish

Yes, they are boiled, fried, or mashed and served in other dishes. Banana-ques are fried in coconut oil then rolled in brown sugar and fried again to get a sugary-crunchy crust. It is one of the only ways I like this kind of banana. 

We have 40 or so banana trees on our farm and at least 10 of them are the banana-que variety. 

My wife knows which ones I like and which ones that her parents don't need to bother delivering.  :lol:

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 1

Siuk

but the ones I am looking for are green when they are pulled of the tree and turn yellow after they have ripened.

Yes, I eat that exact banana shown in the pic every day.   Cheaper than all the other bananas, but better tasting IMO.  You might have to shop around, not every vendor sells them.

Davaoeno

What is a Plantain? Plantains vs. Bananas?

What is a Plantain? • The Difference between Plantains & Bananas • Nutritional Information

What is a Plantain?

Plantains are a member of the banana family. They are a starchy, low in sugar variety that is cooked before serving as it is unsuitable raw. It is used in many savory dishes somewhat like a potato would be used and is very popular in Western Africa and the Caribbean countries. It is usually fried or baked. 

Plantain2.pngPlantains are native to India and are grown most widely in tropical climates. Plantains are sometimes referred to as the pasta and potatoes of the Caribbean. Sold in the fresh produce section of the supermarket, they usually resemble green bananas but ripe plantains may be black in color. This vegetable-banana can be eaten and tastes different at every stage of development. The interior color of the fruit will remain creamy, yellowish or lightly pink. When the peel is green to yellow, the flavor of the flesh is bland and its texture is starchy. As the peel changes to brown or black, it has a sweeter flavor and more of a banana aroma, but still keeps a firm shape when cooked. 

The plantain averages about 65% moisture content and the banana averages about 83% moisture content. Since hydrolysis, the process by which starches are converted to sugars, acts fastest in fruit of higher moisture content it converts starches to sugars faster in bananas than it does in plantains. A banana is ready to eat when the skin is yellow whereas a plantain is not ready to eat "out of hand" until hydrolysis has progressed to the point where the skin is almost black.

Davezilla

The little green Bananas are the best  they stay green when ripe but taste the best  and Yes my other half boils and mashes the other ones like potatoes

Canuck Joe

Another useful fruit that can be cooked is papaya, just pick it when green its rock hard like a squash. Its another tree that grows like a weed...just throw the seeds at the ground.

hyaku

I harvest bananas most weeks. Here they are already ripe when green. Cut them when yellow they are already over and have to be thrown away within 48 hours. It's just too hot here to leave out. The big plantain type for toron are picked yellow. Lots of kurikong now in banana and cacao. (a black disease). I don't know how it's treated. Does anyone know?

Knowdafish

Anyone know how to graft one like this? I want to cover all the bases in as little space as possible.  :lol:

1185050_548048565276048_797741769_n.jpg

Canuck Joe

Anyone know how to graft one like this? I want to cover all the bases in as little space as possible.  :lol:

1185050_548048565276048_797741769_n.jpg

at first I was like :o....then I saw the strings