American Assaulted in City

JamesMusslewhite

Are you accusing the membership of being ass-hole expats and sleazy sex tourists.  (Well, other than the one.)  Normally when members exhibit that kind of behavior they're beat down by the rest of the membership so I don't think you're correct here. 

You think we should get up some expat vigilante groups or something? 

No, Why? Where in my post did I state that I was referring to any members of this forum? I am quite sure I said expats and not members. Your just trying to be silly or you are trying to flame which is a bit unbecoming and disingenuous. I was quite clear in my post... I was responding to post #12 were "SomeRandomGuy" talked about a disturbing attitude he sees as a prevailing and increasing trend in his neighborhood and in the provocative actions of some of the locals he had personally experienced.

I do not expect most expats to do a damn thing, as they always do. I am sure most will simply keep turning their heads or turning their backs and opt to simply do nothing if they observe inappropriate behavior from another expat. I am also quite sure the locals who observe that inaction will conclude that it was a sign of support for this bad behavior they see directed at fellow Filipinos, and the locals will remember and judge all of us by the actions and inaction of expats. The locals attitudes are changing towards expats and it will only be getting worse. I expect expats to live in denial until such time they must live in fear.

• Like 2
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• Davaoeno

• shadow

• Open_Ended

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too many fleas will kill a healthy dog.   Almost 6 years ago I said that the behavior of ass-hole expats and sleazy sex tourist would eventually start to turn the locals to such acts. Members did no

There or two sides of the butter knife. The few will taint for the whole, and the larger mass which is good will be adversely affected due to the actions of the few. Like termites nibbling at the base

If I saw a "lady" in a "nice area" of the city being "randomly assaulted" in the "daytime" I'd probably get my ass kicked in her defense. But that doesn't happen much so I am safe.   I am not so stu

Davaoeno

I am sure most will simply keep turning their heads or turning their backs and opt to simply do nothing if they observe inappropriate behavior from another expat.

From the description of events it seems that Paul did not turn his back  when he observed inappropriate behaviour - and paid the price for it . I'm sure that given the same situation again he would tend to mind his own business.   Surely you wouldnt say that when we see an expat doing something wrong we should react- but not do so it we see a filipino doing something wrong ?  

• Like 2
shadow

Colon is properly named drinking on the street at night and commenting on the local escapades is a recipe for a ass kicking .

I hope the older gentleman recovers with little side effects  

The area is full of drug users and pimps as well as shady characters  who are looking for trouble   getting involved in thier world is just asking for trouble

I do not feel safe in the day light there never mind at night drinking on the street   .  

Better to hang out in our place or with a group of expats you know have your back 

Our place is no longer a hangout for expats, unless you count Koreans as expats.

Canuck Joe

paul was beatup,,including broken jaw,,for voicing his disapproval to a phils bloke beating up on a local well known girl!

he currently stays Cebu view,,waiting hospital 2moro.

some of u blokes on this particular post have very little else to do eh!

ya...sorry, easy to drift from topic when you don't know the person or are not personally affected. 

Hope the man will be ok....and make better choices in the future.

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 1
CNE Tower

Educated Filipinos don't drink on Colon or socialize with lowlife Filipinos hanging out there. Expats who think they are superior by demonstrating their prowess in drinking or penchant for debating with drug addicts, pimps, and desperate morons are gambling with their lives. If their home country or another country is better than Cebu or the Philippines why are they still here? Those who left the Philippines and are still bellyaching about the Philippines are chronic masochists who deserve to drown on their own saliva if they haven't mercifully succumbed to it yet. 

Canuck Joe

Educated Filipinos don't drink on Colon or socialize with lowlife Filipinos hanging out there. Expats who think they are superior by demonstrating their prowess in drinking or penchant for debating with drug addicts, pimps, and desperate morons are gambling with their lives. If their home country or another country is better than Cebu or the Philippines why are they still here? Those who left the Philippines and are still bellyaching about the Philippines are chronic masochists who deserve to drown on their own saliva if they haven't mercifully succumbed to it yet. 

So true...but the drowning in saliva is over the top lol

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

From the description of events it seems that Paul did not turn his back  when he observed inappropriate behaviour - and paid the price for it . I'm sure that given the same situation again he would tend to mind his own business.   Surely you wouldnt say that when we see an expat doing something wrong we should react- but not do so it we see a filipino doing something wrong ?  

It sounds like he tried to get involved in a domestic dispute with a local couple. One should always walk careful in that mine field. I had two friends who stop a husband from beating the wife only to be stabbed by the wife. But the problem mentioned in post #12 is the changing attitudes of locals towards expats living here. 

If I witnessed a locals in certain situations would I interfere? Yes, and any man should in many cases. Most cases between the locals are handled quite well on their own and in their own ways. 

If I witness a fellow expat yelling about and acting like a damn fool I would tell him to act like his parents raised him right. If I see an expat committing acts to purposely harm other expats or things to harm the locals? I will stand up to stop such behavior every time.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3
A_Simple_Man

It sounds like he tried to get involved in a domestic dispute with a local couple.

In that area?  Pimps

• Like 2
smokey

IM not sure why I have been singled out in that area before.  I am not a pervert and I am not after underage girls. Not stalking girls there either I just sometimes go shopping there as I have found colon to have a lot of cheap stuff that I like and use at home.

Before the incident I am talking of happened I have never had problems there and I am a big wet market fan.

I am starting to think that there is maybe another foreigner that looks a bit like me in cebu as the last few months I was there I was getting hassled somewhat more then normal.

Last time I was in colon for the first half an hour I had numerous underage girls and sickly looking young women asking me if I am looking for a good time ( well that is not how they said it but you know the drill).

After about half an hour of this I decided to go to seasame hut for a coke and chill  before continuing my journey ( I often go down there not because I know anyone I just like to hear all the hard done by stories of others and be a bit of a eaves dropping fly on the wall)

afterwards on the way towards the wet markets I was followed by these 4 dudes. I have lived in some bad area's in my life and I always watch what is going on around me so I went into the seven 11 and ordered a coffee  to see who it was that was following me.

Sure enough these guys walked past then came back again 5 mins later with a young kid. The kid stayed out the front for awhile and I went outside for a smoke. The kid left and I went back inside the 4 guys came back around the corner saw me back at the 7 11 ( I was playing dumb that I coudnt see them) and ordered another coffee. After about 10 more minutes the guys walk past the window staring at me like; I had well ,not sure what I had done, and made finger jestures and comments in bisaya which I choose not to repeat here.

Was a rather weird experience since it has never happened to me before and I have been shopping down there since I have been living in cebu.

Just sharing my experience. Dont get me wrong I was not overly worried as I know how to handle myself but these guys were not the type you want to screw with either.

I have spent a bit of time around here and these were def bad ass slums boys.

its everywhere not just down there you just notice it more  say hello to drugs it turns the decent person into a real a?? 

redman69

Anybody with a lick of common sense knows colon is a bad area. has been since my first trip in 91.

But there are numerous gov. centers there which people need to go to.

St Peters Fort is very near.

Minor Basilica of san to Nino is in the area.

The Cebu Cathedral is in the area.

After dark the area has had a reputation for years. Many on this board now or in their past have enjoyed playing in the ghetto or slums. I know I have. And I have been to all the above mentioned places after dark. Well not the gov. center. But the locals have to start lines there at 5 to 6 am which time it can be dark.

So Cebu is a big city. Even little city's can have a bad area. Most big ones in the world I have been to have bad area's. And the local's will point it out to you. This has happened in Rome for me with my wife and kids. Me along in London in the Piccadilly circus area. Many places in New York. can not keep count,  And in my home town of DC. I still work in any area of DC. I was born here and my union is here and I have to answer calls. Yes I keep my eys open for sure. And when looking for a cab in colon I keep my fiancé in the street after Mass. I think Asian school of technology is there also. Just as Temple is in a bad area in Philly. but areas change also with time. Rent control has changed Broklyn where I read brownstones on the east river go for millions. When I was a kid in Brooklyn there were not many yuppies on the docks.

I do hope the guy is ok, I am 58 and am sure I could not fight like I could. In the 70's you got to have a gun and a cane to keep it equal. Look at the old man just beat to death in Seattle by only 2 young Black men. At that age the first sucker punch has you.  I know I have taken a few in my 20"s and it is hard to get back into the game fast.  Well again I hope he makes it.

• Like 6
Davezilla

"paul was beatup,,including broken jaw,,for voicing his disapproval to a phils bloke beating up on a local well known girl!"

sounds more like a pimp and his girl   .. The guy can,t back down to some smart ass kano  telling him how to treat his girls 

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

my Dad and his buddy from work used to drive around down town brooklyn in his buddies car during lunch they worked the late shift

his buddy is really more like his brother they are closer than best friends and so were are our entire families .. he's a second father to me

the car he owned was the same car the cops used in NYC at the time and my Dad being white and his buddy being black people would just assume they were cops driving around at that time of night in that part of town. 

they broke up a few 3 card monte games here and there not really by doing much other than slowing down and telling them to go away

one night they saw a woman getting roughed up by a couple guys so they stopped and were going to help.. when the woman started cursing them out and telling them to get the hell out of their and mind their own business

so they did

ya just never know

tokyoman

The lesson to learn for newbies to Cebu  from this is post is :

Go and drink at the bars at Ayala

They are cheap enough and have plenty of security

If you get into a dispute with a local and have had enough, go down and hang out in the Marriot for a while then take a cab from there

• Like 2
shadow

If I witness a fellow expat yelling about and acting like a damn fool I would tell him to act like his parents raised him right. If I see an expat committing acts to purposely harm other expats or things to harm the locals? I will stand up to stop such behavior every time.

I used to enjoy sitting at Sesame and the particular convenience store in question and just watching the people, it can be very entertaining. However, increasingly I found myself setting near old, fat, and sleazy, (or parts thereof) foreigners who were making leud comments and playing grabass with high school girls walking by in their school uniform, or worse, actively seeking sex with seriously underage girls.

It made me feel ashamed to have white skin. However I don't try to stop such behavior, I just leave.

We still often stay in the area when in Cebu, but now I only go into the Convenience store to buy ice and a beer once in a while for consumption in our hotel room. Even Our Place, which has been one of my favorite Cebu hangouts since the 90s, is now overrun by Koreans and no longer enjoyable. Time to move back uptown I guess. And then when uptown follows suit? It will, it's only a matter of time...

• Like 3
Wolfpack

The lesson to learn for newbies to Cebu  from this is post is :

Go and drink at the bars at Ayala

They are cheap enough and have plenty of security

If you get into a dispute with a local and have had enough, go down and hang out in the Marriot for a while then take a cab from there

yeah, what he just said!!!