Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

What to do when REAL Human Trafficking is suspected?

Davaoeno

And she might find herself married to a peasant farmer in some backwater in China.

well they do have a huge shortage of women there, so she could probably have the pick of the crop !!

Headshot

well they do have a huge shortage of women there, so she could probably have the pick of the crop !!

The only crops she would be allowed to pick are rice, vegetables and fruits. Just because she might get married wouldn't make her any less a slave. It just means she will be expected to have children in addition to working in the fields. .

Edited by Headshot

tom_shor

How about contacting the GMA TV station?

I think they have a program similar to the Nightline and have them make a featured program to protect Filipinas from potential human trafficking…

They can give her a 15-min fame and possiblly some monetary rewards, so she may go for it and fly all the way to Serbia, while the officers from PNP, DSWP, NBI, Interpol, EU, UN, NPO, etc. and the TV crew shadowing her to possibly expose an organized human trafficking group…

She may not get anywhere near Serbia. Her first stop is Hong Kong with no onward ticket. Hmmmm.

Davaoeno

The only crops she will be allowed to pick are rice, vegetables and fruits. Just because she might get married wouldn't make her any less a slave. It just means she will be expected to have children in addition to working in the fields. .

In other words pretty much the same as her future in much of the Philippines .  At least there she will only be expected to have 2 and not 8 

posaris

Read this Republic act very carefully

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2013/ra_10364_2013.html

Section 3. Section 3 of Republic Act No. 9208 is

hereby amended to read as follows:

"SEC. 3. Definition of Terms. – As used in this

Act:

"(a) Trafficking in Persons – refers to the

recruitment, obtaining, hiring, providing,

offering, transportation, transfer, maintaining,

harboring, or receipt of persons with or without

the victim’s consent or knowledge, within or

across national borders by means of threat, or

use of force, or other forms of coercion,

abduction, fraud, deception, abuse of power or

of position, taking advantage of the vulnerability

of the person, or, the giving or receiving of

payments or benefits to achieve the consent of

a person having control over another person for

the purpose of exploitation which includes at a

minimum, the exploitation or the prostitution of

others or other forms of sexual exploitation,

forced labor or services, slavery, servitude or

the removal or sale of organs.

"The recruitment, transportation, transfer,

harboring, adoption or receipt of a child for the

purpose of exploitation or when the adoption is

consideration

of

form

any

by

induced

exploitative purposes shall also be considered as

‘trafficking in persons’ even if it does not involve

any of the means set forth in the preceding

paragraph.

"(b) Child – refers to a person below eighteen

(18) years of age or one who is over eighteen

(18) but is unable to fully take care of or protect

himself/herself from abuse, neglect, cruelty,

exploitation, or discrimination because of a

physical or mental disability or condition.

gmb8585

A Simple Man:  Although this is absolutely none my business, i have carefully read all your posts on this subject and it is my opinion (and that of many others here) that this whole situation stinks and you know it. We're not talking about some minor bullshit Philippine inconvenience but a young girls life, and a family member at that. Offers have to been to fix this if only temporarily with minimal involvement on your part. If you have any doubts at all and only you know in your heart the answer to that, i suggest you serious thinking real quick and take advantage of the help offered. If this guy is not legit he will lose interest quickly and  move on to someone else (unfortunately) and you will have helped to save a life. If you do nothing and she does disappear, well you'll have to live with that, but then so will she.

Edited by gmb8585
  • Like 1

tomaw

If you really care about her and a willing to spend some money, see if you can hire a private detective to check this guy out in that country.

• Like 1

Art

A Simple Man:  Although this is absolutely none my business, i have carefully read all your posts on this subject and it is my opinion (and that of many others here) that this whole situation stinks and you know it. We're not talking about some minor bullshit Philippine inconvenience but a young girls life, and a family member at that. Offers have to been to fix this if only temporarily with minimal involvement on your part. If you have any doubts at all and only you know in your heart the answer to that, i suggest you serious thinking real quick and take advantage of the help offered. If this guy is not legit he will lose interest quickly and  move on to someone else (unfortunately) and you will have helped to save a life. If you do nothing and she does disappear, well you'll have to live with that, but then so will she.

You raise ethical questions about actions based on fears without full knowledge.  The ethics of the individual to self determinism is something we all would fight for if others were going to be interfering with our own decisions.  The problem here for A_Simple_Man is he is not directly involved and like the rest of us is really a spectator.   She has her relative's blessings and most importantly her mother's permission and aid.  We don't have all the facts we are thinking with our fear of what's possible.  In this scenerio it is A_Simple_man who is the rebel and out of step with the family.  A casual search on the internet does throw up Filipinas married and living in Serbia who have normal lives.  

You can be cautionary with fears but to make a decision based on fear alone well I can't see any member advocating that action.   I need to know more before I can act and the family quite rightly can tell me to mind my own business.   A_Simple_Man has expressed his concerns to both family and the forum and the family have shut him out I can't see what more he can do without knowing all the details of the man and his intentions and he is prevented from knowing them.   I can't see acting on a suspicion alone is fully justified.   If she is prevented from going and the family blames him he could be in a world of hurt for the rest of his life.  A principle of self preservation comes into play do you have the moral right to ask him to jeapodize his life there over a suspicion? 

• Like 2

posaris

1 thing i can say is that immigration naia is very strict, they will actually interogate Pilipinos wanting to leave. In my earlier post, this girl wont get past check in!

gmb8585

Art, I don;t have the right to ask him to do anything. I tend to listen to my gut feelings and act on them and usually those feelings are correct. From reading his posts, i believe he has these gut feelings, otherwise why give it more than a second thought. I'm simply saying act on those feelings. If somehow she is stopped by immigration through the act of some intermediary, the world does not end, she still has the opportunity at a later date to go with the trip and the cooling off period may give more insight into this guy is and what his true intentions are. If he is carefull the family need never know he is the instigator of the caper.  Of course it could all legit, each man has to judge for himself what to do when that time comes, I just hope it all works out for the girl. The alternative is too grim to contemplate

• Like 1

Davaoeno

which includes at a
minimum, the exploitation or the prostitution of
others or other forms of sexual exploitation,
forced labor or services, slavery, servitude or
the removal or sale of organs.

so in order for this to be an offence there has to be some evidence that - AT A MINIMUM - she is going to be used for prostitution, forced labor,slavery,servitude or to have her organs removed

so far I have not seen such evidence 

• Like 4

Headshot

Read this Republic act very carefully

While that is all very true, there is no hard evidence to show that this girl is doing anything besides visiting her mother in Hong Kong. If the girl's family has sided with her on this, and have closed ranks, then there is nothing that Simple Man can do to stop her from leaving. To even attempt to do so would undoubtedly destroy his relationship with the family. He has already warned them that he doesn't think this is legit, so at least they won't come back and ask him why he didn't warn them if she goes missing. The "Serbian" guy has no intention of setting foot in the Philippines, so he will never be liable to Philippine laws. You are beating a dead horse.

• Like 4

miles-high

1 thing i can say is that immigration naia is very strict, they will actually interogate Pilipinos wanting to leave. In my earlier post, this girl wont get past check in!

No use quoting the Republic Act or any Philippine statute for that matter, I am sure most guys know or are aware of the law. In any case, if you read the post from the beginning, you will know that no crime has been committed… We are discussing the possible preventive measures assuming that in fact the Serbian person (‘BF”) is about to commit a crime.

You also know that the minor child in question can legally leave the country to visit her mother who is an OFW in Hong Kong. There are flghts to Hong Kong leaving from Cebu as well...

Even if BF comes to Hong Kong, no crime may be committed there – you will need to research the criminal statutes and case laws of Hong Kong.

If she goes on to Serbia (you will have to do some more research if she can get a visa to Serbia and also a transit visa), no crime may be committed there either considering that the age of consent in Serbia appears to be 14.

Even if a crime was committed, there are no extraterritorial powers to apply any Philippine laws to punish a crime committed by a foreigner in a foreign country, nor is it an extraditable offense (only when punishable by both countries, no treaty with Serbia in any case).

Soooooooooooo, let’s discuss/come up wtih some possible, legal, politically-correct hehe ;), justifiable preventive measures the OP could take… ;)

• Like 3

T.S.

The whole idea of needing to enter Hong Kong as a tourist first before continuing to Serbia makes it seem like a shady deal.

Why not just a plane ticket from Cebu to Serbia if legit? The cheapest route that I see from Cebu to Serbia is through Doha on Qatar Airways.

Even if her flight is through Hong Kong, then continues to Serbia, there should be no reason to enter Hong Kong as a tourist on the way.

Has he specified how she will be traveling from Hong Kong to Serbia?

Edited by T.S.
  • Like 1

Headshot

Art, I don;t have the right to ask him to do anything. I tend to listen to my gut feelings and act on them and usually those feelings are correct. From reading his posts, i believe he has these gut feelings, otherwise why give it more than a second thought. I'm simply saying act on those feelings. If somehow she is stopped by immigration through the act of some intermediary, the world does not end, she still has the opportunity at a later date to go with the trip and the cooling off period may give more insight into this guy is and what his true intentions are. If he is carefull the family need never know he is the instigator of the caper.  Of course it could all legit, each man has to judge for himself what to do when that time comes, I just hope it all works out for the girl. The alternative is too grim to contemplate

I really don't think you fully understand the dynamics of a Filipino family. Since Simple Man has already voiced his objections to the family and was basically told to mind his own business, If she is prevented from leaving the Philippines (for any reason) he will be blamed. Do you know what shunning is? The Amish have nothing on Filipinos when it comes to shunning, and doing anything at this point could risk his own marriage. Everybody hopes it works out for the girl, but her mother (and the rest of the family...including Simple Man's wife) has sided with her on this decision. Simple Man really has no choice but to just hope the family is right...regardless of his gut feelings.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2