Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

What to do when REAL Human Trafficking is suspected?

hyaku

If your wife wanted to do something about it she could. She knows the people involved and could try to educate them that this is a bad thing. I have a feeling that she would join in the 'us vs foreigners' camp though. When it comes to the crunch, they only put up with us when we give money and keep our nose out of what they are doing.

However, what has happened since I started this thread, is that the relatives of the 17 year old have 'circled the wagons' to keep me out of the loop as they say I am a very bad man for trying to stand between this girl and her meal ticket. It has been pointed out that I do not give any money to those people so I should stop trying to keep her from the love of her life, (that she has only met on line), in Serbia. If I attempt to do anything further and the girl does disappear, it will somehow be my fault. I wash my hands of it.

So sorry to hear that. The wife tries to distance herself a bit. We live here but being from a neighboring barangay the locals treat her like an outsider unless they want something or need ammunition to gossip.

smokey

for the op the problem will be if the girl dont go and claims its on his advice he as effectively adopted her and will be expected to pay her school and any other problems and will forever hear if ONLY i had gone ,,,

two sayings come to mind,,,,,, Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont ,,,    Stuck between a rock and a hard place 

• Like 3

miles-high

effectively adopted her and will be expected to pay her school and any other problems

I suppose that is a viable option if I were him... Charity begins at home...

spleege

serbia?????? are you joking?? come on.  read the news...no single female in their right mind gets invites like that and goes at all let alone unattended.  If anyone truly cares about this girl they must insist the guy comes to the philippines and immigration can check him out.  

Davaoeno

or maybe all the concerned LinC members who want to control her life will start a fund and contribute monthly to pay for her to live and go to school here.  As they say - charity begins at home . 

A_Simple_Man

Its been done when she was younger but when do you cut the apron strings, how far into the extended family do you provide that charity, etc etc.  The girl in mind  would not starve if she stayed but she may actually be expected to do some work to earn her keep.  Did I mention laziness was another of her traits?  Methinks laziness and wanting the quick way to wealth is what started this girl on the path she is on.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 1

Art

I would back off now which you probably have done.  You have warned her and its her and her families due diligence to find out more you will only be a source of irritation to them.  If it turns out bad for the girl well the next time someone they know does the same thing they have a cautionary tale to tell them "Well you know one of our relatives went overseas and disappeared so you can't trust foreigners."  It sounds dubious but we don't have enough facts to judge the outcome.   What we are doing is generalising this one event with known bad outcomes, generalising is the way we learn things fast.  I still touch hot stoves to see if they are hot, its good to know my reflexes and cussing are normal just my generalising skills don't work all the time. 

Because of our fears we can see the reason why they have trafficking laws and why they give Filipinas a hard time in exiting the country because some do get exploited.   If it does turn out well for the girl you can rejoice with her relatives over her good fortune and say its great for her because some find trouble and they will nod their heads and say "yes its maybe trouble for some but not our girl". 

If it turns out bad I would not say anything just shake your head with them over the mystery of her fate.

My experience with Filipinos is they hate to be told things they don't want to hear of course the whole world is really Filipino we just dont notice it we rationalize we are not like them when really they are just like us.

• Like 1

hyaku

True but they don't seem to be able to take advice very well and constructive conversation draws a blank. One sees the same mistakes repeated over and over again when you would think that like most they would learn from them. Like another thread now mentions. We do get treated superficialy for years before being accepted. They have this thing about us "being rich" but I guess it doesn't occur to them that if we still have bit of cash it was from using common sense. Not encouraging a 17 year old to pop off to Serbia.

Headshot

Simple Man, the sad thing is that now, if ANYTHING causes her to be denied boarding, the family will blame YOU. However, if she has an invitation from her mother in Hong Kong, it is unlikely that she will be denied boarding. Be sure to say, "Goodbye" to her. If she gets on the plane, it will likely be the last time you ever see her.

• Like 1

panther

Its been done when she was younger but when do you cut the apron strings, how far into the extended family do you provide that charity, etc etc.  The girl in mind  would not starve if she stayed but she may actually be expected to do some work to earn her keep.  Did I mention laziness was another of her traits?  Methinks laziness and wanting the quick way to wealth is what started this girl on the path she is on.

well she will be made to work thats for sure ,day and night on her back not the kinda work she was expecting 

Headshot

well she will be made to work thats for sure ,day and night on her back not the kinda work she was expecting 

At least being lazy won't matter, since she will likely be on her back anyway.

• Like 1

panther

after reading this thread I wonder how many philippinas are locked up at this very moment in some dingy room somewhere in europe being used and abused with no way of escaping it don,t bare thinking about .

• Like 1

fred42

Just start some idle gossip that there is a big human organ trade in Serbia and then show Lola this page on your laptop..

Then its up to them..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atrocities+in+serbia&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wY0ZUqfmJuaQ7AbW8oCADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Edited by fred42

smokey

you guys are really getting skittish ,,,  next you will be claiming she is dinner ... too many of you have watched Hostel 

post-35-0-10669800-1377412610_thumb.jpg

i remember when i first came to meet my now wife she was afraid to go up to my hotel she was told i was going to toss her out the window to collect the insurance money ... and then same when we came to the usa that was so i could sell her organs..  I wish it was that easy for us in the usa just meet the girl on line and let her come to visit you instead of you going to visit her it would of made it much easier for my business 

• Like 3

Headshot

i remember when i first came to meet my now wife she was afraid to go up to my hotel she was told i was going to toss her out the window to collect the insurance money

So...did you?   :yahoo:

Edited by Headshot