Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

What to do when REAL Human Trafficking is suspected?

tom_shor

I would think traveling to the Philippines and meeting the young lady and her family is a matter of courtesy and respect. Of course it's in his best interest also. The fact that he won't do so seems to me to be a bright red flag.

Unfortunately it looks like all the relatives can see is green.

• Like 5

blaze pontaine

I'm going to offer an alternative strategy: encourage her to go now, before she turns 18.

I don't want to get off topic, but there won't be a huge change in her body/maturity level/mental capacity in the 40 or so days between now and her 18th bday.  However, if something goes horribly wrong in Serbia, the "save the children" NGO's will act far quicker to help a 17 year old minor than they would an 18 year old adult, even if its only a difference of 40 days. 

You said he's sent money, how much?  Enough for a ticket to Serbia?  Perhaps he's sent a little money and he's dangling the chance of sending a bigger amount and the possibility of marriage to a lovestruck young girl.  Perhaps she even "shows" her love to him on webcam.  There's lots of filipinas that meet a guy online and they chat about her going to his country.  In the end, its all just chatting. 

A_Simple_Man

You said he's sent money, how much?  Enough for a ticket to Serbia?  Perhaps he's sent a little money and he's dangling the chance of sending a bigger amount and the possibility of marriage to a lovestruck young girl.  Perhaps she even "shows" her love to him on webcam.  There's lots of filipinas that meet a guy online and they chat about her going to his country.  In the end, its all just chatting. 

How much?  7000 pesos 2 times.  Promise of more to come.  She is stubborn and is going regardless.  One of the reasons family is encouraging this is that she is stubborn and 'hard to manage'.

It was all just chatting until she went to Cebu and got passport (its real easy for a filipina to do.  Its not what you know its who you blow) and ticket as far as Hong Kong.  This trip is going to be attempted if nothing else.  I admire her dedication to getting this done and maybe (I hope) I am just not giving her enough credit for being able to tell a real opportunity from an on line recruiter.  Nah, in reality it sounds way too much like an on line recruiter, but I'll never convince the family and no one can stop her from 'going to Hong Kong to visit her mother' and after that its out of my hands and I must put it out of my mind.

I emailed this young lady (via my wife) some info on Human trafficking in Serbia.  Young people these days believe everything they read on line so why not send the opposing view from what the guy is telling her.  Of course she will ask the guy and he will tell her that is all BS and that it is safe and then she will come.

Interestingly enough, my own daughter went when she was 17.  That was back in 1990 ish, just before the Kosovo crisis.  She went with a group of missionaries from her church group and nothing I could say would have had any impact.  She came back in one piece, minus her hair.  For some reason she shaved her head and she does not talk about that 6 month period of her life but its true that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

miles-high

How much? 7000 pesos 2 times. Promise of more to come.

Perhaps you could find an eligible kano bachelor locally? Give her more… Many a girl prefers to love someone closer when she cannot be closer to someone who she loves… hehe :D

Headshot

Well, Simple Man, be sure to tell her that when you say goodbye, it will almost certainly be forever, since girls caught up in this kind of human trafficking simply don't ever return. They just disappear...never to be heard from again. Tell her you would rather not see that happen to her, but if she won't listen that you would at least like to say "goodbye" before she leaves, since it will likely be the last chance you ever have to say anything to her.

• Like 3

posaris

She will never make it past the airport check in counter! BI officials interview all Philipinos that might seem suspicious, besides the fact she is still a minor, this Serbian Einstien will be charged with violating about 10 laws.

agent17

As a last resort, you could tip the authorities.  Go to the Bureau of Immigration website and write an e-mail to them about her situation.  Give them her full name, passport number, flight number, flight schedule, and a photo.

Headshot

She will never make it past the airport check in counter! BI officials interview all Philipinos that might seem suspicious, besides the fact she is still a minor, this Serbian Einstien will be charged with violating about 10 laws.

I don't think you were listening. Her mother is in Hong Kong and she is going to visit her mother. She will have a letter from her mother inviting her because her mother thinks this is a good idea, and she will most assuredly get through the airport here. Once she is in Hong Kong, there are no further roadblocks to keep a Filipina from going wherever she has a ticket. This girl is about to disappear...if she goes through with it. It doesn't some like anybody in her family (except Simple Man) is seeing the dangers in this situation. I hope they can live with themselves after they lose contact with her forever.

• Like 3

hyaku

OMG She's 17. What's wrong with these people. They would pimp their own mother if they thought they might get something out of it. She is under legal age. Will it make a difference in a few months.

Distant neighbor took her daughter up to Angeles. Can't pick up one herself anymore so she pimped the daughter. Latched onto a foreigner, came back, got herself pregnant with 16 year old Filipino boy.

Foreigner still paid as she "hid the bump" on the video cam. That ones long gone. Just got 10.000 credit to go pick up another. Came back empty handed. ..... Same old story I know but they get started on this even before they are out of school uniform with parents consent!

Edited by hyaku

no one

you can stop her just call bi the day she is leaving and tell them the story and they will not let her go 

but it will come back to hunt you with your family for sure 

any girl that age going on trip like this to place like that is 90% never going to be heard from again 

if he is so interested he could come here to manila to pick her up on a 2 or 3 day trip hard to do but if there is a will there is a way 

smidsy

OMG She's 17. What's wrong with these people. They would pimp their own mother if they thought they might get something out of it. She is under legal age. Will it make a difference in a few months.

Distant neighbor took her daughter up to Angeles. Can't pick up one herself anymore so she pimped the daughter. Latched onto a foreigner, came back, got herself pregnant with 16 year old Filipino boy.

Foreigner still paid as she "hid the bump" on the video cam. That ones long gone. Just got 10.000 credit to go pick up another. Came back empty handed. ..... Same old story I know but they get started on this even before they are out of school uniform with parents consent!

Its important not to generalise, especially in this situation.

There are bad people in every country, and good ones too.

Most Filipino families would not be happy about this, I know my Wife's family would never do anything like this.

panther

Don,t you just hate it when you see something is about to wrong and can,t do a dam thing about it .serbia and albanians are the worst 2 nations involved in the supply of women to the whole of europe this girl is on a one way ticket to hell ,and may never be seen again thats for sure .I would do whatever it took to stop her even if family turned against me .

agent17

BI can always find reasons for stopping someone from boarding the plane at NAIA.  They'll ask to see her return ticket, her show money, the hotel she'll be staying, her itinerary, and so on.  The fact that she's only 17 years old gives BI more reason to scrutinize her even more.

All you have to do is tip them off so they'll know when to expect her.

Dragonladies.org

I doubt having Pinoy contacts in Serbia would make a difference if she's being trafficked.    If she arrives there it will probably be with fake documents, and she'll be under the thumb of whoever brought her there, and not able to contact anyone.

She may never even step foot in Serbia, but end up somewhere else.

This stinks. 

I spend a lot of time trying to explain to guys if you think you can send money to  ladies you have met online and  not met in person before, and expect they will show up on your doorstep in your country, you're going to get scammed.

The same is true for ladies.

She could  be set up to be a drug mule, also.

A_Simple_Man

If your wife wanted to do something about it she could.  She knows the people involved and could try to educate them that this is a bad thing.  I have a feeling that she would join in the 'us vs foreigners' camp though.  When it comes to the crunch, they only put up with us when we give money and keep our nose out of what they are doing.

However, what has happened since I started this thread, is that the relatives of the 17 year old have 'circled the wagons' to keep me out of the loop as they say I am a very bad man for trying to stand between this girl and her meal ticket.  It has been pointed out that I do not give any money to those people so I should stop trying to keep her from the love of her life, (that she has only met on line), in Serbia.  If I attempt to do anything further and the girl does disappear, it will somehow be my fault.  I wash my hands of it.

• Like 1