Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

What to do when REAL Human Trafficking is suspected?

Cipro

On the other hand it could be legit. But yeah, she's 17, just on that basis, bad idea. Should travel with a relative.

Denis

I can give you a public web site... you would need to satisfy yourself if it is an acceptable organization.

It is called the grey man and its mission is up front on their home page -

Our main role is the rescue of children from traffickers   

http://www.thegreyman.org/

Terry

I agree completely. They're looking for the golden goose and like far too many others that's ALL they see. Get your "I told you so" look ready. This will NOT go well. It has ALL the earmarks of, "She was never heard from again".

T

Bad situation to be in, as you seem to be the only one close to this who has a clue.  And anything you do to prevent this girl from leaving is going to make some serious waves with your wife's relatives.  If it was me, I would develop a plan to educate the girl and her family on the dangers and risks of travelling alone to another country to meet a stranger.  This will all be done through your wife and other relatives that are close to the girl.  News stories and anecdotal tales would work.  If just one lola or lolo can be convinced that its a really bad idea, maybe their influence would be enough.  It's sad to see such desperation and even if the guy is legit, it's still a bad idea and will not end well.   Hopefully her family is just naive about the risks involved and not consciously selling their daughter down the river in hopes of a big payday. 

easy44

Of all places to go, Serbia has got to be one of the more risky places for a 17 year old girl.  That place has more than it's share of scary people.

A_Simple_Man

hhmm, if im told to shut up then i will and wish then good luck if u alredy told them danger, that is all u can and shuld do. 

Its why I mention this here and not to wife or her family.  No one here has told me to shut up   :snap:  . . .  wait for it . . . . .

If it works out fine then I worried for nothing.  I'm sure there are lots of Serbian men who are legitimate and yet have no problem telling her how to get around the DFA and BI rules.  Hmmm,  I just don't know any.  I also don't know what I will do to comfort my wife IF her cousin is never heard from again and the wife is crying on my shoulder about why I listened to people tell me to shut up when I am the one to know better.  (But do I?)

Thanks to all for the advice in this thread.  I will follow some of it  :rose:

• Like 1

Denis

Thanks to all for the advice in this thread. I will follow some of it :rose:

all the best for you and your family.

I am sure you will make the best decision.

Paul

Just because she has a ticket out of the Philippines does not mean she will be allowed to board the plane. Immigration is pretty strict about letting younger Filipinos leave the country. I imagine that, being only 17, her chances are pretty much zero. 

• Like 2

USMC-Retired

If you want to stop her PM me. She will not be allowed to board. I am not sure it is what you have decided yet. Why do you not talk to the guy. How much harm can come from that. You speak english he speaks english. Then you can get a feel for it. 17 I do not think a minor can travel international without parent or gaurdian. At least my tickets for my kids state this.

• Like 1

JohnSurrey

Hmmm... I think I'd drop the Human Trafficking bit but via a trusted native third party probably try something like:

Don't go there yet stay here and keep on getting him to send you money - maybe he's only got enough to pay for your flight... tell him you need a lap top and a cam so you can get to know him better and see more of each other...

You can say my parents want me to finish school or work in the Sari2x or study nursing or look after my dying aunt or I'm too young or some other crap...

Then if he keeps sending the money fine - everyone can party and go to Jolibee on Sunday...

If he doesn't keep sending the money then he's a time waster...

If he does then he'll want to check her out at sometime and come here.

• Like 2

njb

Serbia (ex yougoslavia) is paradis for bad peopel -and there have been a  few cases where girls are involved but "Serbia may be a member of  EU 2015"  l would never allowed to let the girl travel if l had any power to stop it -- personlig l would never forgive meself if anything happen to the girl  "maybe never heard of again .-just desaper" l am from Denmark and we did se a lot in tv and news under the civil war and by gum they are bad peopel  and it is still the same ---and because Bosnia are member of "schengen" no borders in EU"  it is very easy to come to EU from Serbia-- 3-4 years ago there was a danish newpaper down there " to prove trafickking with girls"  they was offered to buy for $50 girls between 15/20 year old they did buy 1 to prove it- but ewcause she got all the help in denmark and was set free 

• Like 1

agent17

You should give her a DVD movie of "Taken" with Liam Neeson.  Better yet, the movie "Eden" is more grim.  Eden is more similar to her situation.

• Like 1

smidsy

What makes people think she'll ever get to Serbia ?

It possible that she gets to Hong Kong, her passport is taken, she's then told she has to pay the debt of her travel, and the rest is well documented, then who knows where she is sent ?

If I have read this correctly, there's a big question mark over how she gets from Hong Kong to Serbia ??

Anyway, your easiest route is to stall her until she's 18. You never know what might happen until then.

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

Just because she has a ticket out of the Philippines does not mean she will be allowed to board the plane. Immigration is pretty strict about letting younger Filipinos leave the country. I imagine that, being only 17, her chances are pretty much zero. 

I found out how she is slipping through the cracks:  Her mother is an OFW in Hong Kong so she is just going to visit her mother (yeah right) but there is an exception to the rule which will allow a 17 year old to go to Hong Kong by herself to visit her mother who is working there as an OFW  (maid to a Chinese couple).  Of course her mother thinks going to this foreigner in Serbia is a great idea and since this is how it is going down I suspect I will have no further say in it.  God be with her.

Art

Can you find an online Filipino community in Serbia or on Facebook so at least she has Filipino contacts she can meet there or keep an eye out for her.   

• Like 2

wacobay

I think the guy should go there at least once before inviting the girl to his country, Not just in this situation but any situation involving meeting someone of the Internet. Even more because she's only 17.

I know woman do fly to different country's to meet there boyfriends all over the world and are fine. Giving money to a 17 year old girl and paying for her to visit Serbia would probably feel great. (Any free money will make anyone happy)

When I went to Philippines on my own my family thought I was nuts and had my older brother telling me not to go an I'll be getting scammed, setup at customs and all that stuff. I'm 23 and I understand there worry, I also proved them wrong when I returned safely.

Reading your post does sound dodgy because of the age and also you saying Serbia is known for trafficking. The parents should be demanding her not to go. The guy could at least get a week to go to Philippines. If it's work not letting him go then he should play sick for a week and go fly to her.

Anyway at least you have some sense an have some concern even if it turns out to be ok. Hope they see sense or at least nothing happens badly.

I would think traveling to the Philippines and meeting the young lady and her family is a matter of courtesy and respect. Of course it's in his best interest also. The fact that he won't do so seems to me to be a bright red flag.

• Like 2