Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

What to do when REAL Human Trafficking is suspected?

A_Simple_Man

A 17 year old filipina relative (of the wife) is excited about her foreign boyfriend.  He sends money.  He told her he cannot take time to come here to see her and get her but if she comes to Serbia, all will be well.  The family says the foreign boyfriend is a friend of a friend so 'its ok'.

Here are the red flags

He sent her money and told her how to go get a passport and a ticket to Hong Kong as a tourist. (Done and done)

He has arranged some kind of transport for a 17 yr old filipina, to travel alone from Hong Kong to Serbia.

Wikipedia says Serbia is a human trafficking hub.

Of course the girl and her family think her ship has come in.  I'm told to shut up when I voice any reasonable questions.  The answer is:  Maybe she will be lucky.  This could be the one.  Etc.  And that may be the case, but:

What discrete inquiries could be made to ensure this is not something sinister?  It may all be legitimate and I don't want to spoil a young girl's chance at happiness.  But I have a nagging doubt.

Denis

basically interpol is your best bet.

I have no contacts but maybe a member of this forum will send a PM.

• Like 2

broden

i would strongly advise anyone especially anyone that young to not fly off to see anyone they don't know

the problem is anyone that young knows everything and the prodding family is no help at all

good luck man hope it works out

• Like 7

miles-high

Well, the age of consent is 18 here. You may stretch a thing or two to warn them not to send off anyone under 18 to meet a BF in a foreign country, doing so would be an accessory to the crime punishable in the Philippines or something to that effect...

I would tell them to wait until she is at least 18 (use email, Skype for a while) and see how her BF would react to that news…

Besides, if he is really serious, he would fly all the way to the Philippines... I would... ;)

• Like 5

A_Simple_Man

Besides, if he is really serious, he would fly all the way to the Philippines.

I did, most guys would, or at the very least make arrangements for a traveling companion.  Anyway, there are some times when I understand why the Philippines has the silly rules that don't let a girl fly to Hong Kong without all the right documents.  That has hindered many a legitimate rendezvous and I hope it turns out to be a stumbling block for this one.

• Like 2

Denis

to travel alone from Hong Kong to Serbia

mate...

do you know where Serbia is located?

either go to your local Barangay captain and or the mayor and/or the head of the local police.

Leave it with them.

Salty Dog

At that age traveling alone, there is a good chance they won't let her leave the country. We all know how hard immigration can be on young Filipina's when it comes to leaving the country. I know one who was denied departure to Hong Kong when she tried to meet her fiance who she lived with here. He was returning from the USA and they wanted to have a few days vacation in Hong Kong before he got back here. She had a return ticket and hotel reservations, She is in her late 20s.

Alan S

Some here complain about Filipina scammers, but there are FAR more crooks in the world than just the Philippines.

Now, this guy might be honest, but there are plenty of facts in the opening post that would make me think twice,

Yes, the age thing might be a good way to hold things back a bit.

• Like 1

bahalina buong

Bad situation to be in, as you seem to be the only one close to this who has a clue.  And anything you do to prevent this girl from leaving is going to make some serious waves with your wife's relatives.  If it was me, I would develop a plan to educate the girl and her family on the dangers and risks of travelling alone to another country to meet a stranger.  This will all be done through your wife and other relatives that are close to the girl.  News stories and anecdotal tales would work.  If just one lola or lolo can be convinced that its a really bad idea, maybe their influence would be enough.  It's sad to see such desperation and even if the guy is legit, it's still a bad idea and will not end well.   Hopefully her family is just naive about the risks involved and not consciously selling their daughter down the river in hopes of a big payday. 

• Like 1

agent17

The Serbian is a friend of a friend.  It's not entirely random that those two met.  You should start by getting to know this friend first and why he or she vouches the Serbian.

A_Simple_Man

Hopefully her family is just naive about the risks involved

Yes.  That is the case.  Mother is an OFW and girl is raised by aunts, uncles, cousins etc

Britishandproud

I think the guy should go there at least once before inviting the girl to his country, Not just in this situation but any situation involving meeting someone of the Internet. Even more because she's only 17.

I know woman do fly to different country's to meet there boyfriends all over the world and are fine. Giving money to a 17 year old girl and paying for her to visit Serbia would probably feel great. (Any free money will make anyone happy)

When I went to Philippines on my own my family thought I was nuts and had my older brother telling me not to go an I'll be getting scammed, setup at customs and all that stuff. I'm 23 and I understand there worry, I also proved them wrong when I returned safely.

Reading your post does sound dodgy because of the age and also you saying Serbia is known for trafficking. The parents should be demanding her not to go. The guy could at least get a week to go to Philippines. If it's work not letting him go then he should play sick for a week and go fly to her.

Anyway at least you have some sense an have some concern even if it turns out to be ok. Hope they see sense or at least nothing happens badly.

samatm

Contact ECAPT - Cebu:   perhaps they can give you guidance and help put  stop to her travels.     The family wouldn't have to know it was you.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/organizations/305    Cebu contact info.

17 yo filipina traveling alone to Serbia ?  NO FREAKIN   no way. !       I am just now getting comfortable to the idea of my 17 yo traveling to CEBU from Lapu Lapu on the GT by herself. 

Edited by samatm
  • Like 4

tom_shor

Interesting that someone from Serbia knows all the details of obtaining a Philipine passport and travel documents. Be sure you say goodbye before she leaves odds are you will never see her again.

• Like 4

Ozepete

Interesting that someone from Serbia knows all the details of obtaining a Philipine passport and travel documents. Be sure you say goodbye before she leaves odds are you will never see her again.

Agreed, this is very sus.  Check out the friend of a friend etc but as said earlier, go to the authorities.  Like Samatm, I wouldn't let a 17 year old daughter out of sight!