Those mosquito light zappers - do they work?

BobX

USCebuana

I bought the cheap electric mosquito lamps at Unitop, one for each bedroom. They work quite well. I was surprised. I noticed that they are only good for the area within 10 to 15 ft. from the lamp.

I agree, the best thing to do is screen the doors and windows. You don't have to use the mosquito coil or have a netting.

Edited by USCebuana
  • Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USCebuana

• Kabisay-an gid

• BobX

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ace Hardware carries door sweeps which will stop critters from crawling under the door.  If you have aircon, it will also almost eliminate cool air flowing outside, under the door, and should reduce y

kinda,i and my gf both wear pjamas with footies and a hoodie,take a look.   _________________

how about netting for the bed?

Posted Images

fred42

Since we put in our Koi pond we have far less Mozzies than ever before.

• Like 1
USCebuana

If you have a lot of vegetation around the house you get a lot of them even if there are no standing water. 

• Like 2
Davaoeno

I can confirm, and watchguy can back me up on this, that hand held bug zappers do NOT work on cats !  A stray at his house bit me on the foot, and when it returned i tried to zap it to no avail.  Of course i only tried on the fur, and not on the nose [ i thought that was giving me too much of an advantage]

Headshot

The UV light-type bug zappers are much more effective at zapping moths than mossies. Moths are attracted to UV light. Mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide.

Kabisay-an gid

The UV light-type bug zappers are much more effective at zapping moths than mossies. Moths are attracted to UV light. Mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide.

Which is why I explained earlier in the thread that one should by a bug zapper that uses a mosquito attractant such as octenol, or merely tie a small strip of cloth with human sweat on it to the zapper. It will attract and zap plenty of mossies, without the use of chemicals, smoke etc.

questsea73

Houses/apartments even are built with little or no regard for tightness her in Asia. Installing window screens and door screens help but are far from infallible. I have fought this problem in Vietnam(3 years, 1960's), Thailand(5 years, 1990's), and now PI(3 months). The mosquitos are like the ants ...with an effort you can control them generally but not erradicate them.

I would use what I used in past decades: (a. large, quality small weave, mosquito-saturated-at-factory-with-repellant-chemical mosquito net (b. a heavy duty table fan oscillating in an arc covering your whole bed area (c. mosquito coil every night started 30 minutes or so before entering room to retire. Too bad Sanyo, Toshiba, etc don't still have available the great quality heavy duty table fans available to us in Vietnam in the PX's in the 1960's.

I am having no problems to speak of now in South Mindanao(small city) with mosquitos despite it being rainy season. I consider myself lucky. I am mostly inside house and use airconditioner in bedroom at night at present, trying to avoid chemicals in coils unless absolutely necessary.

Ken

Headshot

Even if you put screens on all of the windows, most exterior doors here have no threshold under the door, which means that mosquitos (and other critters) can walk right under the door and into the house...and they do.

• Like 1
USCebuana

It's true that most houses don't have tresholds in the doors.  Sometimes the water gets in during rains and when the wind is strong. Even so, screening the doors and windows help a lot in keeping the bugs out.

Jim in Cebu

It's true that most houses don't have tresholds in the doors.  Sometimes the water gets in during rains and when the wind is strong. Even so, screening the doors and windows help a lot in keeping the bugs out.

Ace Hardware carries door sweeps which will stop critters from crawling under the door.  If you have aircon, it will also almost eliminate cool air flowing outside, under the door, and should reduce your electric bill.

Here are some examples of door sweeps:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=door%20sweeps

• Like 4
Jim in Cebu

Just a note of thanks to those that posted about baygon liquid and pads.

We've tried the liquid in the sala/dining room area and it has all but eliminated the mosquitoes in that problem area.  Thanks!

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

put underwear over my head covering my face

sounds like you been to one of our house parties? 

post-4506-0-30576600-1378169278_thumb.jpg

HHJJ :)

• Like 2
USCebuana

Ace Hardware carries door sweeps which will stop critters from crawling under the door.  If you have aircon, it will also almost eliminate cool air flowing outside, under the door, and should reduce your electric bill.

Here are some examples of door sweeps:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=door%20sweeps

Thanks I should get out see the hardware stores when I come home. To be honest I can't drive stick shift that's why I can't move around that much plus the traffic is a bit daunting.

Dang, that post above me is a bit jarring. 

Edited by Headshot
Removed duplicate quote
Headshot

Thanks I should get out see the hardware stores when I come home. To be honest I can't drive stick shift that's why I can't move around that much plus the traffic is a bit daunting.

Dang, that post above me is a bit jarring. 

Ace Hardware is at both SM malls. True Value is at Ayala. That means they are easy to find even if you don't drive.

Jim in Cebu

Ace Hardware is at both SM malls. True Value is at Ayala. That means they are easy to find even if you don't drive.

Ace is also at J Centre Mall (A S Fortuna Street, Mandaue City) and SM Hypermart (near SM-Cebu City on Lugarta Avenue, Mandaue City).  See http://www.acehardware.ph/Acehardware/index.php?p=145&bid=20 for maps and contact info.

I think (but I'm not positive) that I've also seen door sweeps at Cebu Home & Builders and at Wilcon.