Those mosquito light zappers - do they work?

BobX

The sort that attract mosquitoes with light and then zap them with electricity.  Do they work?  If so, how effective are they (at night)?

Edited by BobX
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USCebuana

• Kabisay-an gid

• BobX

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ace Hardware carries door sweeps which will stop critters from crawling under the door.  If you have aircon, it will also almost eliminate cool air flowing outside, under the door, and should reduce y

kinda,i and my gf both wear pjamas with footies and a hoodie,take a look.   _________________

how about netting for the bed?

Posted Images

Kabisay-an gid

They work well if you buy one which utilizes an octenol attractant. The light itself won't attract mosquitos, but the octenol definitely will.

USMC-Retired

what is your purpose indoor or outdoor? Odd question.. However indoor we use the bygone heated pads and they work wonders at killing them. Also use the bygone liquid 30 day that works good also though does not kill them its a deteriant.

Outside we use lion tiger coils set those a blaze 10 mins before heading out to your area and they work wonders.

Never had luck with those zapper things but other swear by them.

Kabisay-an gid

The people who use the bug zappers with an octenol attractant are the ones who have luck with them. If they don't utilize some sort of attractant like octenol, they're pretty much worthless, because the light itself does not attract mosquitos.

I use one with octenol in my backyard, and it works well. Turn it on at dusk and off in the morning. I live near a creek, and haven't been bitten by a single mosquito in several years.

what is your purpose indoor or outdoor?

Electric bug zappers are intended for outdoor use only.

I sleep naked, with no covering, it's too hot.  My girlfriend likes to have the doors and windows open the day, hence the house has them inside waiting to pounce.  Currently I'm waking up in the middle of the night with itchy bites over my body, obviously not an ideal situation.  Plan B is to use a fan while in bed, my gf does that.

USMC, I will look at Bygone heating pads.  Where do you get them from?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

how about netting for the bed?

• Like 2
easy44

I sleep naked, with no covering, it's too hot.  My girlfriend likes to have the doors and windows open the day, hence the house has them inside waiting to pounce.  Currently I'm waking up in the middle of the night with itchy bites over my body, obviously not an ideal situation.  Plan B is to use a fan while in bed, my gf does that.

It's spelled Baygon and it's available in any supermarket.

I've tried both the Baygon mat and the liquid.  The liquid works better for me.  Both won't work well if your doors and windows are wide open.  You should put screens on your window and use netting for the bed.  It's less expensive and more effective.

Every supermarket has stocks of them..

Look for this

http://kanintalks.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/img00455-20120207-0726.jpg

Personally life with out aircon, windows wide open and a little fan + baygon bug thing (my kid sleeps around 8PM till 6/7AM) no problems with musquito's what so ever.

I advice every one who lives here to invest in those. Also have a stock of Katol (the musquito coils) laying around in case of brown-out/disaster they will sell out faster then you expect once shit hits the fan.

On other beliefs, you could plant lemongrass in and around your vicinity/windows or put them in your room to scare the musquito's away naturally. Great for food to!

AetherischesLemongrasZitronengrasSereh.j

• Like 2
JasonEcos

The itchy bites are a minor annoyance. Wait til you get dengue from a bite. I did last year and it was no fun at all.

You have screens in your windows? That helps a lot.

USMC-Retired

Get a fan on over you and if the room is open air get Lion Tiger coils asap if you are getting bit. Dengue Fever is no joke had it 3 years ago and all I remember now is it felt like I was run over by a truck.

been here comin up for 3 years and have dodge the dengue all windows are meshed up fans and aircon .no water ponds around my house for the little feckers to breed ,bug spray I go through a can a week unreal but I hate dam bugs .

We get the occasional one in. They are usually active at dawn and dusk. Thats another reason I chose the mountain. No vast pools if still water except my fish pools. Mossys going there is death wish. I did place small tanks of fish around the house once after reading about it. Worked quite well. Our place has windows open 24/7. Mesh screens all around. Aircon, fan not needed. I can sleep with the buzz of a mosquito but not with the buzz of a fan.

Edited by hyaku
throttleplate

when i was in military and stationed in Puerto Rico i lived in a open bay barracks with moveable partitions separating me from all the other soldiers,open windows and no aircon,mosquiteos very bad.Heres what i did as they loved to bite my ankles,face and neck.Bought cans of OFF mosqto repellant and sprayed my ankles before lights out.Then i took clean pair of underwear and sprayed it with OFF and put underwear over my head covering my face  and neck.Then i turned on a fan and blew from feet up.No problems anymore,i dont reccomend that for today as a net would be much better but back in the military we improvised.

• Like 2