Sign in to follow this  
agent17

Costco vs. S&R price comparison

agent17

For references, here is some price comparsion between S&R (Manila) and Costco (2012 price).

Cheesecake Factory New York Cheesecake frozen

Costco $11.79

S&R $23.80

Kirkland 4-Cheese Ravioli frozen

Costco $10.99

S&R $20.23

Kirkland Chopped Onions dehydrated

Costco $3.39

S&R $5.95

Kirkland Italian Meatballs 6 lbs frozen

Costco $17.43

S&R $30.95

Victoria Marinara Sauce 40oz

Costco $4.32

S&R $8.33

Costco fresh baked cookies

Costco $0.29 cents per piece

S&R $0.99 cents per piece (yes, this is not a typo but the cookies are identical to Costco)

Other S&R prices:

V8 low sodium 64 oz = P200

Kirkland macha green tea (100 tea bags) = P1,000

Kirkland crushed red peppers (dehydrated) = P230

Millers Garlic Sausages frozen 1 lbs & 14 oz = P310

Diet Cherry 7UP 12 cans = P290 or P24.16 per can

Edited by agent17

Monsoon

So my rough estimate of 'about double' wasn't too far off. At least for the items you have listed. 

Its funny, I walk by some things in Costco that I like and still have to remind myself that they aren't grossly overpriced here. 

agent17

I guess if you factor in the membership cost, it narrows the gap a bit overall.

Costco Membership = $55

S&R membership = P700 or $17

I find the imported asian items (ie. Thailand) are cheaper than other grocery stores, at least in Manila.

Sodas are cheap too.

Edited by agent17

burnttoast

How does the pricing work out for the food court items? Does Costco do the food court thing back in the us? That seems to be the biggest draw of s&r by far. The year I was a member the pizza was never disapointing or lacking in any respect. I can't remember too many times I've eaten out here and consistanly been satisfied with what I got for the money. 

smokey

hot dog and drink 1.50 at costco... cooked chicken 4.99  ... bagels 12 pieces 6.00   wait maybe its the high cost of labor in cebu      cost co 20 dollars an hour average ... S/R well maybe 12 dollars a day ... 

milk 6 dollars 2 gallons... S/R 20 plus 2 gallons ...  sure there is shipping i understand that but come on the labor at S/R is what 5% of the cost of labor at costco

with all the money they save on labor alone it should be at least the same prices or lower ..

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

Monsoon

Hard to beat an S&R pizza though, especially considering all the other crappy alternatives one is stuck with there. 

• Like 1

ILoveCyrus

Costco where....?  Costco in USA....?

I really don't get the comparison unless there is a Costco in Pinas (of which I would be ignorant of)....haha

• Like 1

Monsoon

hot dog and drink 1.50 at costco... cooked chicken 4.99  ... bagels 12 pieces 6.00   wait maybe its the high cost of labor in cebu      cost co 20 dollars an hour average ... S/R well maybe 12 dollars a day ... 

milk 6 dollars 2 gallons... S/R 20 plus 2 gallons ...  sure there is shipping i understand that but come on the labor at S/R is what 5% of the cost of labor at costco

with all the money they save on labor alone it should be at least the same prices or lower ..

Not to mention, go to Costco on any given day and leave absolutely stuffed with all the free stuff they throw at you. 

Costco where....?  Costco in USA....?

I really don't get the comparison unless there is a Costco in Pinas (of which I would be ignorant of)....haha

I think in part, the comparison is being made because S&R carries a lot of Costco brand items, and many of the same things that Costco carries. 

agent17

How does the pricing work out for the food court items? Does Costco do the food court thing back in the us? That seems to be the biggest draw of s&r by far. The year I was a member the pizza was never disapointing or lacking in any respect. I can't remember too many times I've eaten out here and consistanly been satisfied with what I got for the money. 

A slice of pizza at Costco is $2.  I think it's P99 at S&R.  It's almost the same price.  The pizza are exactly the same.  Taste the same, same quality, and the same size.  The beef baked roll is P159, almost the same price as Costco.

Edited by agent17

ILoveCyrus

Thanks Monsoon.  Are there many S&R in country?  Cebu?  I haven't been out much....

smokey

A slice of pizza at Costco is $2.  I think it's P99 at S&R.  It's almost the same price.  The pizza are exactly the same.  Taste the same, same quality, and the same size.  The beef baked roll is P159, almost the same price as Costco.

and how much is the hot dog and drink 50 peso ?

Monsoon

Thanks Monsoon.  Are there many S&R in country?  Cebu?  I haven't been out much....

Yes, there is an S&R in Cebu and 3 or 4 in Metro Manila. Brace yourself for some real price shockers, but you will also find some nice things there and some items are more competitive than in regular grocery stores. Also depending on where you come from, some things from home maybe you haven't had in a while. Just make sure you think about those prices for reality check. Some of the price shockers are: Digiorno frozen pizzas, cheesecake factory cheesecakes, frozen Alaskan crab legs.

I have a place within walking distance of an S&R in Ft. Bonifacio and it is by far my preferred lunch spot. But you guys are spread out more in Cebu, so you might not find it worth the commute for a slice of pizza for lunch or hot dog.  

Monsoon

I

Sodas are cheap too.

And the fountain drinks are self serve bottomless. Rare in the Philippines. 

no one

lol you cant compare costco versus s&r 

s&r is buying some items from costco first of all 

second costco is buying in such a huge amounts they get the lowest price possible 

costco sells to 300+ mil people 

s&r is selling to what maybe 20 +mil that can  afford to go there ???

kirkland is a costco brand 

smokey

lol you cant compare costco versus s&r 

s&r is buying some items from costco first of all 

second costco is buying in such a huge amounts they get the lowest price possible 

costco sells to 300+ mil people 

s&r is selling to what maybe 20 +mil that can  afford to go there ???

kirkland is a costco brand 

true and costco pays an average of 20 dollar per hour plus bennies 

• Like 1

agent17

I used to haul back Taster's Choice coffee here from the states because I thought I was saving money.  Later I found out that the price is almost the same.

Taster's Choice original blend 7 oz (198g)

Grocery store in the US = $11.59

Savemore supermarket = P514.50 ($12.25)

broden

you guys would keep notes .. my wife and i keep a note book with sections of the different stores we shop in with items we get broken down by price weight price per ounce or price per piece or what ever works for a given item .. so we can compare them apples to apples when we are deciding what we want to get .. especially when we buy bulk items

some time soon she intends to put all the info we have in a spread sheet so it will be easier to change as prices do compare and print out to take with us..

it saves us a lot of money and time and i suppose gas to as we know when and where to go as we put together our shopping lists.

sams,walmart,h.e.b., even big lots and occasionally we will hit a small chain down here called la fiesta cause they have good sales like pork for a buck a pound or bacon for the same price stuff like that

T.S.

It was 138 php last time I was there, 99 for the hot dog and 39 for the soda.

Slightly more than double the US Costco price for the same product.

Monsoon

It was 138 php last time I was there, 99 for the hot dog and 39 for the soda.

Slightly more than double the US Costco price for the same product.

And they don't sell those hot dogs in the store. Took an hour to get that question answered once. The whole time people looking at each other like I was asking where to get an abortion. 

• Like 1

TorJay

Don't forget that S&R has to import the Kirkland stuff.  There are shipping costs involved too.

• Like 1

agent17

Don't forget that S&R has to import the Kirkland stuff.  There are shipping costs involved too.

That's right.  Kirkland Signature items aren't considered generic here.  There's only a few peso difference between KS 12-pack canned sodas to Coke.  The KS green tea (100 tea bags) is more expensive than the Lipton brand.

I do wish S&R carry more imported stuff from our neighboring countries.  There are a lot of high-end quality goods from Singapore, HK, Thai, and Malaysia.  Like beer, for example.

smokey

yes it does and there is also a HUGE difference in pay for the workers 

easy44

It was 99 pesos for a hotdog and drink last time I was there, but I think that was a promo.  It seems they run that promo frequently though.  Isn't Costco $1.50 for the same?

tomaw

I guess if you factor in the membership cost, it narrows the gap a bit overall.

Costco Membership = $55

S&R membership = P700 or $17

I find the imported asian items (ie. Thailand) are cheaper than other grocery stores, at least in Manila.

Sodas are cheap too.

........ IMPORTED is the key word here. I think just about everything on that list was imported into the Philippines. Imported items are likely to be more expensive. Example: Compare Budweiser with San Miguel in Cebu, then do the same thing in The U.S. You'll see what I mean.

tomaw

hot dog and drink 1.50 at costco... cooked chicken 4.99 ... bagels 12 pieces 6.00 wait maybe its the high cost of labor in cebu cost co 20 dollars an hour average ... S/R well maybe 12 dollars a day ...

milk 6 dollars 2 gallons... S/R 20 plus 2 gallons ... sure there is shipping i understand that but come on the labor at S/R is what 5% of the cost of labor at costco

....... There was an article on Yahoo's front page just a few days ago that Costco is paying their employees $20 an hour to start. I agree, the difference in labor costs alone should make a big difference in the prices.