Yaesu FRG-7700 Communications Receiver

For Real

I understand there are a number of HAM's online.

Long story short, a mate passed away just before going for his licence. Left behind the radio (in working order).

What is involved with licensing me to use?

What are antenna options (I live in a flat)?

Just thinking out loud re a new hobby 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I understand there are a number of HAM's online.

Long story short, a mate passed away just before going for his licence. Left behind the radio (in working order).

What is involved with licensing me to use?

What are antenna options (I live in a flat)?

Just thinking out loud re a new hobby 

You in USA? Well, to answer most simply you don't need any license to use a Yaesu FRG-7700. 

Listen to your hearts content. 

Get yourself the longest wire you can possibly put up and an antenna tuner and connect it with some ladder line to the tuner.  Decent enough for SWLing. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Also if you'd like to be a licensed HAM there's no better time to do so from a requirements standpoint, as there is no longer any morse code proficiency  required for HF bands.  Unfortunately the hobby has been on the decline for several years. Many blame the internet for its demise. 

Find a local club, they will most likely sponsor the local VE program (volunteer examiners) or can point you in the right direction. Depending on where you live, there may be very active club(s) or not. In a flat, you won't have any problem getting onto local VHF/UHF repeaters. HF in a flat can be challenging but isn't impossible. I used to use a lot of various mobile / portable setups that could easily be used in an apartment setting. The biggest concern is going to be RFI (RF interference) in that kind of setting. At least hardly no one is watching broadcast television anymore. 

dc3driver

FRG-7700 is a good rig-recieve only.  As someone mentioned, just hang a wire out & you are in business, you don't even need an antenna tuner, that is more important for a  transmitter. 73's

Edited by dc3driver
Alan S

I had an FRG 7700 and they are excellent receivers.

Should give you lots of fun.