Philippine ferry collision rescue operation under way

Nangulo

How hard could it be really?

Hire a teenager with a Galaxy s4 or what ever to enter the manifesto to face book or some thing?

Maybe it's just that there's no central repository and the gov't has to go to the ferry line to get the info.  Just guessing.

When I took the SuperFerry (now 2Go) from Surigao City, each passenger had his/her picture taken and digitally stored on their (SuperFerry) computer, as well as other passenger data.

When I got my ticket on the 2Go ferry from Manila, it was all done electronically at the point of purchase.  I imagine all of that data is held, but only by 2Go.

Same with the Cokalioing line - I pre-purchase a ticket and all of my personal data is entered into a computer at the Cokaliong office.

But I have to wonder about the folks who purchase their tickets on a walk-up basis at the terminals.  I don't know how those tickets are handled, whether they're handwritten or computerized.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky

• hyaku

• Woolf

• panther

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a short description about the port of Cebu from     LLOYD'S LIST PORTS OF THE WORLD     CEBU   Lat 10° 18' N; Long 123° 54' E.   International Ship and Ports Security Compliant       Ap

Took these photos from SRP road  half way to Talisay about cargo vessel  involved, must be the ship, looking at the bow damage.  Several smaller boats and a helicopter seemingly searching around.  Pas

Keep the handrail close, and your life jacket closer.

Posted Images

smokey

well do the companies pay tax per person if so that is not a good thing

bargeman

Another sad statistic to add to the Philippines having the worst marine safety record in the world.

bargeman

Its not open water that channel is restricted there. There should have been a pilot on the cargo ship but the ferries dont take pilots. Usually there is a deckhand steering with an officer overseeing him and calling out commands usually this is the Captain when entering and leaving port. Tough to think that all these guys were not holding a proper lookout at that location. Its always busy there. Could be they made passing arrangements, then the helmsman lost his concentration for a few seconds, but enough to cross the others bow because of how tight the channel is there? Maybe a steering gear failure?

Also wondering why the ferry did not run his ship aground right away. Lauis ledge is very shallow. 

One vessel should have given the appropriate signals and give way, but unheard of here. Suggest some of these mariners take the time to read 'Browns Rule of The Road Manual'.

A tragic accident

i have frequently made the trip from Cebu to Calbayog in Samar by overnight ferry normally in economy  on bunks - easy to jump off the vessel. On one occasion I stayed in the air con accomodation block and made the mistake of wondering through to the Bridge.

The compass was broken

They had a big searchlight

Radar

No AIS ( ships ID system)   No radios  No obvious ship to shore communication   No weather reporting fax

But they did have............a kareoke machine!

I guess any communication with Port authorities was by cell phone

Ricbak

• Like 1

Took these photos from SRP road  half way to Talisay about cargo vessel  involved, must be the ship, looking at the bow damage. 
Several smaller boats and a helicopter seemingly searching around.  Passenger ferry from this angle not to be seen from mainland

post-7853-0-06324700-1376721784_thumb.jpg

post-7853-0-22790600-1376722214_thumb.jpg

post-7853-0-90458000-1376721355_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
USCebuana

What's makes it worse too is that for an island nation few Filipinos know how to swim. Hopefully, they find more survivors. Condolence to the families.

• Like 1

What's makes it worse too is that for an island nation few Filipinos know how to swim. Hopefully, they find more survivors. Condolence to the families.

They don't learn to swim because they're afraid of getting a tan.

udonthani

about once every year, a news story from the Philippines, makes it onto the hourly UK Radio 4 news bulletin, though there has never been one I have seen that is the absolute top story. It is never higher than about third or fourth. This ferry disaster is this years.

biggest news story from the Philippines in recent years was the Manila bus hijack, which would have been the top foreign news story of the day, had not it been beaten by the discovery that the Chilean miners, were alive which happened on the exact same day.

I used to drink red horse with the sulpicio crew before we sailed. They were a "happy" group. Maritime is I guess the same vehicles, driving, anything else in the Philippines. Its o.k. Thats something we all have to live with if we want to stay here.

Edited by hyaku
udonthani

I remember once waiting for a ferry in Cebu when this car pulled up, and two guys got out of it. Then they helped this older guy, who was sitting in the back passenger seat, out of the car who looked like he was drunk - he could hardly walk. The elder guy leaned on to the the two younger guys, who walked him up to this door that said STAFF ONLY and the three of them went through it.

I said to the girl I was with, oh look. That is the captain of the ship we are sailing on tonight. He just got here. We shouldn't have to wait any longer than a couple of hours before it leaves.

36674938_-_17_08_20_960235m.jpg

USCebuana

News like this always make me nervous. My brother is a marine engineer in one of the domestic ships that serves Cebu. Hoping for more survivors.

SkyMan

Keep the handrail close, and your life jacket closer.

• Like 3