Philippine ferry collision rescue operation under way

USCebuana

How tragic. Rest in peace to those who perished.

Actually the boats are a lot safer now compared to the boats even a decade ago. Some of them don't even have adequate firefighting systems which is very crucial when it comes to ships. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky

• hyaku

• Woolf

• panther

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a short description about the port of Cebu from     LLOYD'S LIST PORTS OF THE WORLD     CEBU   Lat 10° 18' N; Long 123° 54' E.   International Ship and Ports Security Compliant       Ap

Took these photos from SRP road  half way to Talisay about cargo vessel  involved, must be the ship, looking at the bow damage.  Several smaller boats and a helicopter seemingly searching around.  Pas

Keep the handrail close, and your life jacket closer.

Posted Images

How can two vessels collide on open water?, its outrageous in this day and age, poor seamanship wasted all those lives, the incompetency is shameful.

• Like 1
mactanfamily

Its not open water that channel is restricted there. There should have been a pilot on the cargo ship but the ferries dont take pilots. Usually there is a deckhand steering with an officer overseeing him and calling out commands usually this is the Captain when entering and leaving port. Tough to think that all these guys were not holding a proper lookout at that location. Its always busy there. Could be they made passing arrangements, then the helmsman lost his concentration for a few seconds, but enough to cross the others bow because of how tight the channel is there? Maybe a steering gear failure?

Also wondering why the ferry did not run his ship aground right away. Lauis ledge is very shallow. 

SomeRandomGuy

any news on how many deceased yet?

if it was a head on collision port and starboard lights would be clearly visable plus the main mast light how on earth can any watch keeper miss them plus being so close to port the captains of both vessels would be on the bridge at the time .

Passenger ferries in Europe and the US have managed to produce accurate manifests consistently. On the larger cruise ships I've sailed on we've always had an accurate manifest prior to sailing, even with 4000+ people onboard, it's not difficult, just needs a proper process.

We can assume that the ferry had pilotage exemption (Captain experienced enough in the channel), and the cargo ship depending in whether it was a regular trade would have either had a pilot or pilotage exemption also, so in theory they should have a skilled bridge team on both vessels and be at a heightened state of alertness during this part of the passage. There are so many possible reasons for the accident that its hard to speculate, but the Philippines has had it's fair share of accidents in recent years, and I'd say that flying in the Philippines probably has a better track record then the ferries, which is not often the case worldwide... Sadly I can't see improvement happening anytime soon...

Edited by Ricky
streak03

Ferries sink in Philippines all the time..you would think that someone, somewhere would take a hard look at the maritime industry and make some serious changes, but I really don't think that will ever happen.  Sort of like everyone knows that illegal logging is one of the causes of mudslides during the monsoon season, but everyone talks about it and end up doing nothing. 

The reality is that passenger ferries are expensive to operate, if they kept up with international standards they would become uneconomical to operate in the Philippines, and the fat cats would become skinny....

• Like 1
shadow

if it was a head on collision port and starboard lights would be clearly visable plus the main mast light how on earth can any watch keeper miss them plus being so close to port the captains of both vessels would be on the bridge at the time .

LOL, port and starboard lights? In the Philippines? Surely you jest, many cargo ships don't even have a mast light! 

• Like 1
SirMadrigal

An Paul has talked about airplanes, this is why I don't want to take a Ferry in RP, the worst peacetime maritime loss of life in history in PH.

SomeRandomGuy

ahh  so I am guessing add to that the 56 un accounted for    sad  

senseless

NAVIGATIONAL BEACONS? THAT'S NOT HOW WE DO IT HERE SIR.

LIGHTS? THAT'S NOT HOW WE DO IT HERE SIR.

RADAR? THAT'S NOT HOW WE DO IT HERE SIR.

RACING OTHER BOATS INTO PORT; ITS MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES!

This is why they need the 60/40 provision in the constitution, because they're mentally incapable of doing the most basic things necessary for safety and security. Any foreign service would put them out of business. Now that Delta is here in the Philippines and is allowed to take passengers out of the country I will never fly Philippine Airlines again.

P.S. I took superferry once and the boat was listing to one side the entire way from Manila to Cebu. If there had been bad weather the boat would have overturned for sure.

God forbid anyone break the philippines delusional spell about it's actual placement in the world. I would rank this country down with Nigeria or Zimbabwe in terms of quality of governance. Then they wonder why no foreigners want to invest here.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 2

LOL, port and starboard lights? In the Philippines? Surely you jest, many cargo ships don't even have a mast light! 

if they have,nt got the basics working then they should,nt be at sea .if those main 3 lights aint working your just an accident waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

The 40-year-old ferry St Thomas of Aquinas

1670510.jpg

Sulpicio Express Siete...so this must be the cargo one...quite big also

105488_8.jpg