Philippine ferry collision rescue operation under way

As a Master Mariner (Unlimited) all I can reiterate is how unsafe the maritime industry is in the Philippines. Recent the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments was coordinated in Manila whilst at the same time considerations and recommendations were made for Philippine seafarers to be banned on EU registered ships, the embarrassment and economical impact prevented that occurring but stern warnings were reiterated, As a supposed maritime nation they have problems, I've sailed with excellent officers from the Philippines as I've also sailed with Officers and a Master who I wouldn't let near a sailing dinghy.... But the system lets them through.... Corruption at its best....

Sadly, I suspect the coastguard and marine investigation branch lack the expertise and facilities to properly investigate and incident like this.

Very sad for for all those innocent lives.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky

• hyaku

• Woolf

• panther

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a short description about the port of Cebu from     LLOYD'S LIST PORTS OF THE WORLD     CEBU   Lat 10° 18' N; Long 123° 54' E.   International Ship and Ports Security Compliant       Ap

Took these photos from SRP road  half way to Talisay about cargo vessel  involved, must be the ship, looking at the bow damage.  Several smaller boats and a helicopter seemingly searching around.  Pas

Keep the handrail close, and your life jacket closer.

Posted Images

Also note that the Philippines are supposedly a country which has ratified the SOLAS convention, hence the lag state (Philippines) should be ensuing that they account for all persons onboard and perform passenger drills. Etc,

one passenger said it took 10 minutes to sink well there will be far many more deaths than whats being stated if thats the case and in pitch darkness .another reason that I always sit next to a life jacket when i,m travelling on them dam boats . 

tom_shor

one passenger said it took 10 minutes to sink well there will be far many more deaths than whats being stated if thats the case and in pitch darkness .another reason that I always sit next to a life jacket when i,m travelling on them dam boats . 

Any bets that none of the life jackets had lights so people in the water at night can be seen.

• Like 1

I have read so many cases where they dont know how many people are on a ferry, and each time they promise (threaten) to tighten the rules so that the numbers are accurate. But nothing seems to happen.  

I think the passenger manifests are quite accurate nowadays, its just that they are kept at the port and when there are several ports of call, it takes time to collect and collate all the information on the various lists.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The reason they do not know numbers is simple. When I Boarded the ship my two children were not ticketed as they are undet 2. They are hand written at the port of exit. Also they must compare all the tickets sold to the tickets taken at the port of exit. None of this is computerized so they must first get all these tickets from the port (s) of departure. Then do a compare. There is no internet database or computer database. All stoneage....

Not to mention you can list "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" on the manifest. Not that I've done that or anything... 

throttleplate

when taking the banga boats from iloilo to guimaris island i never sign my name on the manafest and neither do many others.

Nangulo

I rode the MV St. Thomas Aquinas from Manila to Cebu last Oct.  That was a big ship (453' x 72'), comparatively speaking.  For it to sink in 10 minutes, it must have been T-boned.  

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/breaking-news/2013/08/16/passenger-vessel-collides-cargo-ship-sinks-298256

The M/V Saint Thomas Aquinas is 138 meters long and 22 meters wide. 

Mildred Lumapas, two months pregnant, said she heard a loud bang after the cargo ship collided with the 2Go Travel vessel.

She said it only took 10 minutes for the M/V Saint Thomas Aquinas to sink after the impact.

Want to play the lottery?  Go on a boat in the Philippines.

It's more fun in the Philippines!

After the Arroyo government closed down Sulpicio all those already questionable green and white vessels just sat in Cebu offshore for years. I wonder how many were refitted before they were repainted and put back to sea.

woodchopper

worst peacetime maritime is phils,,4300+,,,,,,,,,,,,,2GO is the name they adopted after their last big disaster,,800 I think?

I recently went CDO on 2GO and about 1 month later they put the same ship onto a rocky bottom!

enough said,,very sad affair/s eh

shadow

Sad, we have been on this ferry several times. The channel heading out of Cebu to the south is narrow, and many cargo ships run without adequate lighting. Sulpicio (now called Span Asia) has some of the most dilapidated  ships we have been on, and I vowed years ago (before Princess of the Stars) to never set foot on a Sulpicio boat again. I would be willing to bet when this all comes out the blame can be placed right directly on the Sulpicio vessel. Obviously, the captain of the Sulpicio vessel should have been able to see a large, well lit (2GO boats are always well lit) ship from miles away.

• Like 2
the boss

I think the passenger manifests are quite accurate nowadays, its just that they are kept at the port and when there are several ports of call, it takes time to collect and collate all the information on the various lists.

How hard could it be really?

Hire a teenager with a Galaxy s4 or what ever to enter the manifesto to face book or some thing?

I'm just guessing but my kid could do 700 names in a couple hours.

I'd ask a question about if safety had improved in the PI regards maritime travel. Last I read it seemed the consensus was 50/50. I could understand small bouts and all. But disasters of this magnitude seem to regularly occur. Who owns these rust buckets? Isn't there any liability in this country?

Edited by the boss