Philippine ferry collision rescue operation under way

Cannonball

A simple solution would be for the Marina / Port Authority to initiate mandatory one way traffic... In one end and out the other... I'm sure some would complain but it would be effective... it's not rocket science. Just an observation.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricky

• hyaku

• Woolf

• panther

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a short description about the port of Cebu from     LLOYD'S LIST PORTS OF THE WORLD     CEBU   Lat 10° 18' N; Long 123° 54' E.   International Ship and Ports Security Compliant       Ap

Took these photos from SRP road  half way to Talisay about cargo vessel  involved, must be the ship, looking at the bow damage.  Several smaller boats and a helicopter seemingly searching around.  Pas

Keep the handrail close, and your life jacket closer.

Posted Images

shadow

Wife says they dont actually own it. Will check tomorrow. Trying to buy a ticket from their agent is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Yet another pathetic service outlet.

I wonder if anyone has told 2GO that;

http://www.supercat.com.ph/  opens to the 2GO website.

brian alford

After 40 years at sea(retired Master Mariner) I've learned that no matter how safe the ship is & how shipshape the company that owns her is

we'll never stop human error no matter what we do. But complacency & a strong disregard for life has added to the problem & I dont think theirs a lot we can do about that either, minimize your odds,take a plane!

"2Go formerly Supercat" as they now call themselves is in operation between Ormoc-Cebu

Canuck Joe

I took the 11:30am OceanJet from Cebu to Bohol today...I was sitting in the open deck upstairs ... About 15 mins into the trip there was a very strong odor of fuel oil and of course a big oil slick..I was expecting to see some good size boats over the site but there only was a few small boats and a round inflatable rescue raft? ..The water was a little choppy so maybe thats why there was no good size recovery team there..Kind of sad thinking about all those poor souls that didnt have a chance of getting out...Silly question.. do you think that they will try to raise the ship?

oil is screwing up mangroves and prime fishing area around Cordova south tip of Mactan :(

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/469119/oil-spill-from-sunken-ship-in-cebu-spreads-to-5-villages-in-cordova

Knowdafish

oil is screwing up mangroves and prime fishing area around Cordova south tip of Mactan :(

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/469119/oil-spill-from-sunken-ship-in-cebu-spreads-to-5-villages-in-cordova

Sad. The oil spill will likely affect more people than the ships actual sinking in the long-term, kind of like the diesel spill in Manila Bay. 

SkyMan

They mentioned that "all foreigners who were on board are alive and accounted for." Which was strange

Foreigners can swim and are much more likely to have some presents of mind in a panic situation.  Also more likely to be aware of exits/life jackets, etc.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

You are completely right, the oil pollution is devastating to the environment, and is something that is being considered much more carefully in the west in relation to ships and dealing with the aftermath of incidents. 

Through the industry, I am hearing rumours that the cargo ship was in the wrong lane, it was sailing southbound in the Northbound lane and failed to make any alterations to its course, however the ferry ultimately failed to make a defensive maneuver early enough. In the west, both vessels would be apportioned some level of blame for this kind of incident, the ferry would have had sufficient time to assess the situation and perform a crash stop or alternative maneuver. 

• Like 2

Through the industry, I am hearing rumours that the cargo ship was in the wrong lane, it was sailing southbound in the Northbound lane and failed to make any alterations to its course, however the ferry ultimately failed to make a defensive maneuver early enough. In the west, both vessels would be apportioned some level of blame for this kind of incident, the ferry would have had sufficient time to assess the situation and perform a crash stop or alternative maneuver.

rumours ??

Listen to this video that I posted in post #68

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/regions/08/17/13/sea-mishap-survivors-get-p5000-each-2go

miles-high

rumours ??

Yes, just rumours until the investigation is complete and the final findings are published... it is just his side of the story, and it may or may not be true...

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Wife says they don't actually own it.

If you mean they dry lease it and put their own paint job on the side and operate it as if it was there own then I could believe they don't actually own it.

Lol, you still up Simple Man? It came from someone who works there.

A lot of ships are owned by banks and leasing companies and are on bareboat charters (leased) to operators with their own branding.

Take for instance Dennis Washington (billionaire American) who owns seaspan and charters ships to companies like Maersk and China Shipping, yes would you believe that most of the china shipping fleet is American owned...