Snake ID Time Again !

SirMadrigal

unfortunately without being able to see its head better, mainly from the top hard to tell if its a viper but it does have some semblance of a diamond shaped head. It is safe to say when in down avoid a snake at all costs.

Even a non-venomous snakebite hurts like hell and can become infected.

tom_shor

So we seem to agree it is a snake in a tree.

• Like 1
Headshot

So we seem to agree it is a snake in a tree.

It might be in a large bush the snake is in. The picture is too close to tell whether it's a tree or bush...   :cool:

• Like 1
hookedtothenet

While Reticulated and Burmese pythons are prevalent in the Philippines, the snake in the pic is not a python. 

Actually Burmese pythons are not native to the Philippines, the only Python that occurs here is the Reticulated python.

Knowdafish

Actually Burmese pythons are not native to the Philippines, the only Python that occurs here is the Reticulated python.

Maybe Burmese pythons are not "native" here, but they sure are prevalent. I've seen 3 that the locals caught in only a year in Dumaguete. 

hookedtothenet

OK, So I have been communicating with a Philippine snake expert in regards this photo an although it's not really clear he thinks it is a sub-adult King cobra. 

He stated the following:

King cobras have been recorded from Dinagat Island but not on Siargao Island (Ross & Lazell, 1990. Amphibians & Reptiles of Dinagat and Siargao Islands, Philippines. Philippine Journal of Science.)

But that does not mean to say that just because it hasn't been recorded that it isn't there.

Needless to say that if it is a King cobra, extreme caution should be called for.

Headshot

If it is a king cobra, all of the other snakes in the area will soon be disappearing, since that's what king's eat. Of course, that doesn't make the cobra any less dangerous to people in the area.

hookedtothenet

If it is a king cobra, all of the other snakes in the area will soon be disappearing, since that's what king's eat. Of course, that doesn't make the cobra any less dangerous to people in the area.

Yes, King cobra's do eat other snakes, they also eat lizards also. However there tends to be a balance in the ecosystem and so you will still see other reptiles in and around the area.

My friend wants to ask the OP for the exact location of this snake and how high up in the tree the snake was. Thanks :)

BossHog

Thanks for the info and interest, Hooked.

Do you have a PDF of that book/article that you cited?

The snake was exactly at my eye level, and less than a meter away, as we passed by the second time on the return trip downriver.  I was seated in a canoe at the time, So the snake was about a meter above the water line. The snake was nestled into the low-hanging canopy directly in the center of a narrowing river.

The ecosystem is healthy there and we saw a large monitor lizard on the shore a few hundred meters upriver.

The location is about 4-5 kilometers inland from the ocean on a brackish tidal river on the eastern side of the island.

Here's a photo of general habitat:

post-5791-0-19648800-1377231023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
hookedtothenet

Do you have a PDF of that book/article that you cited?

Hi Bosshog,

Thanks for the additional info I will pass it on to my friend. I will copy the photo and send it to him also if that's OK. Could he use the photo of the snake for a paper he's writing(Happy to give credits if you want to PM me your name)?

Please let me know if you have anymore sightings.

The paper he had was a hard copy, but I will ask him if he has it on PDF.

Thanks again, and be careful out there ;)

• Like 1