Snake ID Time Again !

BossHog

(and no I didn't kill this one)...

Was guiding a young Spanish couple this afternoon on a nature trip up-river.

Passed right under this snake while paddling a dugout canoe.

The woman took this picture.

I would guesstimate 1.5-2 meters but it was all wrapped up in this branch in the canopy over the river.

Kind of a low light picture. Zoom in for detail.

post-5791-0-76920100-1376556286_thumb.jpg

ID please.

BossHog

Hmm.

The original picture is 3 mb. Can't seem to upload it.

Here's a cropped version:

post-5791-0-08400900-1376558787_thumb.jpg

Knowdafish

Hard to tell from the pic, as a different (top or bottom) view of the head would be more helpful, but if I had to guess I would say it is some kind of rat snake.

Here is a very good pdf file (free) that shows the range or various snakes in the Philippines along with other snake "info".

http://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/HIOShoppingCart/Uploads/DownloadableProds/162_Philippine%20Snake%20Poster04-15-04.pdf

Edited by Knowdafish
tom_shor

its a snake

In a tree.

• Like 2
Half Baked

Might be a brown tree snake..(?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_tree_snake

Plenty of 'em in Guam.

But honestly, if I was you.. I'd be waiting for me a nice pair of snakeskin cowboy boots and belt to be made about right now! :)

Edited by Half Baked
  • Like 1
Headshot

That's a Leverite Snake. Just lever rite where it is and walk away.  :snap:

I'll leave it to our resident herpetologists to give us a definitive identification.   :cool:

• Like 1

It looks like a python. We've had them in our area, reticulated python. Often found in a tree.

Canuck Joe

so they come from above as well....well that's just great.

Wife saw a huge boa in yard, like man killer big. Had the gardener push the weeds back another 10ft so I had more running room.

• Like 2
Knowdafish

It looks like a python. We've had them in our area, reticulated python. Often found in a tree.

While Reticulated and Burmese pythons are prevalent in the Philippines, the snake in the pic is not a python. 

Headshot

Well Boss, before you reach out and touch it, you may want to look at this...

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/philippine-cobra-ulupong-worlds-dangerous-snake

post-6379-0-32036600-1376664516_thumb.jpg

The Northern Philippine Cobra (Naja philippinensis) is a stocky, very toxic snake native to the Philippines. They are found on the Luzon, Mindoro, Catanduanes and Masbate islands. Its average length is 1,70 m. Populations from Mindoro Island are known to be up to 2 Meter in length (Lutz, M., 2006). Its color is light to medium brown while the young cobra's color is a darker brown. They have twenty three to twenty scale rows around the neck and twenty one just above the middle part of the body. They prey upon mice, frogs and small mammals. The female lays eggs in clutches of ten to twenty with an incubation time of sixty to seventy days.

The venom is a neurotoxin which affects cardiac and respiratory function and can cause neurotoxicity and respiratory paralysis and death in thirty minutes. The bite causes only minimal tissue damage. The Philippine cobra is capable of spitting their venom up to three meters.

The Philippine Cobra is called "ulupong" in Tagalog.

Although the article doesn't list Siargao as being in the snake's range, you know how accurate that is (not very accurate at all). I don't know if your snake is a Philippine cobra, but there certainly seems to be a resemblance.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I've see cobras that are the same color and the head when it isn't puffed up looks similar. Not sure if they get in trees though.

Here is a picture of a Philippines cobra that isn't puffed up.

cobra.jpg

The wife shot one out of a soursop tree. Brown but smaller. Ive killed a few cobras. Here they have yellowish belly. They also killed two of my dogs!

Beautiful pythons with yellow and red markings. But they all end up 'adobo' when the locals catch them. I had a two ft monitor lizard in my chicken pen a few weeks ago. Shot it in the back but it still ran off.

Edited by hyaku