Sign in to follow this  
ILoveCyrus

Highly considering a "meatless" diet.....

ILoveCyrus

There may be a few of you here that are vegetarian OR vegan (or maybe I'm wrong.....all you carnivores...!!!)

Besides that known health benefits of going meatless, I just want to see IF I have the mental fortitude to do it. 

So my questions are:

1. is going veggie more expensive than not?  I think yes.

2. are there many selections of veggie-meat in the grocery sections?

3. will I start to salivate when I smell BBQ and such? Most likely

4. if you are vegetarian, how did you do it and why?

I've done this a few times for short periods, like a few weeks to 2 months.  My energy levels are increased and my sense of well being are greatly heightened when I go meatless.....

Your thoughts......???

SomeRandomGuy

i had a mate that moved here and was vegetarian    after about 2 months he gave up as it was costing him and arm and a leg.

very hard here to be a non meat eater. 

Monsoon

Well you may have felt more energetic in your short term trials of that diet, but what was your diet like otherwise? 

i had a mate that moved here and was vegetarian    after about 2 months he gave up as it was costing him and arm and a leg.

very hard here to be a non meat eater. 

I don't know why. Plenty of tofu and plenty of veg available at the markets. ANd seeing how the local diet is majority rice...

I don't advocate let alone believe anyone should be a vegetarian - but Idon;t see how it would be more expensive in the 'pines. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

His word and story not mine.   But i think with all the cheese and nuts and exotic vegetarian dishes he liked preparing it was expensive.

SkyMan

I don't know why. Plenty of tofu and plenty of veg available at the markets. ANd seeing how the local diet is majority rice...

He didn't say it was hard to find, just hard to pay for.  Veggies aren't cheap.

ILoveCyrus

I better start a veggie garden asap.......

• Like 1

Knowdafish

I think it is do-able here if one has the budget and the skills to pull it off in a healthy way. There is a lot more to it than just not eating meat. Proper nutrition is the important part. Where will all the necessary nutrients for a healthy diet come from, especially iron, and all the b-vitamins? Where will all the necessary types of protein come from - all the necessary amino acids and in the right balance? 

For me, I prefer a diet of all the fruits, veggies, and lean meat I can eat!  :D Besides that, I would have to retrain my wife/cook if I went to a totally meatless diet!  :lol:

ILoveCyrus

It's experimental my friends.  I like to lift weights and totally know what you mean about Aminos, nutrition, etc....

poby

I was totally vegetarian, before I came here but I found it too hard here to find edible vegetarian food.  Or any sort of edible food really.  Anyway, since settling down with my Mrs a few years ago, she has learnt to make the most amazing vegetarian meals that I enjoy far more than any flesh food.

IMHO The best flavors and most delicious meals are vegetarian.  But only when made by someone talented who knows what they doing.  I do eat fish though.  And sometimes a bit of chicken in salad so I'm not totally religious about it.

I strive to be vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons.

• Like 2

ILoveCyrus

I strive to be vegetarian for both ethical and health reasons.

Ethical..........reminds me of the the Smiths album "Meat is Murder"

Edited by ILoveCyrus

HeyMike

There is a pro poker player (Tom Dwan) who bet another player (Phil Ivey)1 million dollars that he could not go without eating meat for 1 year. Ivey took the bet. After a few weeks Ivey bought out the bet. Dwan agreed to the buy-out. For a million dollars Ivey could not go vegetarian.

For a million dollars I think I could live on rice and cheese for a year.

• Like 1

hyaku

No fish? Plenty here. We have raw fish (sashimi) tonight. I'm amazed at the number of expats in this country that don't like seafood.

Lordblacknail

Well I have been a veggie since 1975. I don't miss meat at all. And if you eat fish, your not a vegetarian, your a person who doesn't eat a lot of meat. I have not willingly consumed animal flesh since 9/13/1975. My wife cooks like a chef and we have good food everyday. We just had a indian food feast that we try to do a couple of times a month. She makes homemade pizza, cheese enchiladas, stir fry rice, a wonderful potato, leek, cabbage etc etc soup. It helps that I don't eat dinner, maybe some toast or an egg sandwich in the morning, and a good lunch then I'm good for the day. I am the most liberal of veggies, I am an ovo lacto veggie, which means that I eat eggs and dairy products. The most strict is a fruitarian, who will only eat items that do not kill the plant. I couldn't do that. I have never seriously considered going back to eating meat. For me, it is as natural as breathing. If I had to do it for health or religion or whatever, I probably couldn't do it, as I have no willpower. I have tons of eBook cook books for veggie meals that I would be happy to share with you for free of course. And as to the reason, it's the same reason a man ever does something that changes his life. It's a woman.

I didn't eat a lot of seafood when I ate meat, never had lobster or crab, clams had a shrimp or two when I was a kid, hated it. Wouldn't eat any fish here if I ate fish, unless it came from the ocean, not from one of the fish farms.

• Like 3

batman2525

I havent eaten any meat,fish,bread,butter,eggs,milk etc for about 6 months...I have more energy and ive lost a few lbs,I now eat lots of the right fruit and veg,I like the occasional can of Heinze baked beans.It was tough at first but I find its getting easier.

I did it for health reasons,Im currently in the UK and the fruit and veg is preety cheap.

• Like 1

Monsoon

He didn't say it was hard to find, just hard to pay for.  Veggies aren't cheap.

Thats what I meant. Since when are veggies expensive in the Philippines? 

I guess 'expensive' is like 'pretty' - very much subjective. 

• Like 1