Sign in to follow this  
Monsoon

Lumpia invasion!

Monsoon

Recently spotted on the freezer shelves of my local Costco....

post-2454-0-32000200-1376338998_thumb.jpg

broden

wild only ever seen them in asian stores so far

luckily my wife's is far better

Monsoon

Seeing the box made me crave some lumpia. I wouldn't eat frozen, not when I went through all the trouble and expense to import a lumpia maker. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 5

broden

Seeing the box made me crave some lumpia. I wouldn't eat frozen, not when I went through all the trouble and expense to import a lumpia maker. 

just about the main reason we go to asian stores is to buy wrappers

• Like 1

afmayer

I agree... many ways to improve on the standard Philippines lumpia...

• Like 1

broden

I agree... many ways to improve on the standard Philippines lumpia...

yeah my wife usually makes them by the ton when she makes them.. ends up giving some away and we freeze some raw .. she makes probably 3/4 of them with her own standard recipe the last quarter are trying out different things

afmayer

yeah my wife usually makes them by the ton when she makes them.. ends up giving some away and we freeze some raw .. she makes probably 3/4 of them with her own standard recipe the last quarter are trying out different things

I know this may sound bizarre, but try steaming them instead. I modify the ingredients a tad... use the same wrappers... and steam them in a bamboo steamer. My wife's Filipina friends love them... but who knows... they may be lying to me...

afmayer

I know this may sound bizarre, but try steaming them instead. I modify the ingredients a tad... use the same wrappers... and steam them in a bamboo steamer. My wife's Filipina friends love them... but who knows... they may be lying to me...

I also make siao mai and siao pao that my wife and her friends love... I love them also... but very fattening... of course not to brag...

broden

yeah we'll try that some times .. we like to do that with potstickers .. actually those we steam then put in the oven or gently fry them just to get a little color on them

I also make siao mai and siao pao that my wife and her friends love... I love them also... but very fattening... of course not to brag...

both are great .. a long time ago i bought my wife a restaurant quality and size set of steamer pots .. 3 levels well over 2 feet tall .. when she cooks she cooks for an army haha

afmayer

yeah we'll try that some times .. we like to do that with potstickers .. actually those we steam then put in the oven or gently fry them just to get a little color on them

both are great .. a long time ago i bought my wife a restaurant quality and size set of steamer pots .. 3 levels well over 2 feet tall .. when she cooks she cooks for an army haha

To my taste... frying kills the flavor... steaming enhances the flavor...

Monsoon

I am amazed at how many people who have never been to the Philippines know what lumpia is. I've talked to several people who when they find out where I used to live will say, "I really like lumpia." 

• Like 1

broden

To my taste... frying kills the flavor... steaming enhances the flavor...

what else we like is making omelets with any left over filling

I am amazed at how many people who have never been to the Philippines know what lumpia is. I've talked to several people who when they find out where I used to live will say, "I really like lumpia." 

that's funny and true .. when people realize my wife is filipino it's usually one of the first things they mention or ask about ... they all had a friend at some previous job or some such who would bring some to work .. lumpia is a crowd pleaser indeed

afmayer

Really? I lived in the Philippines for 40 years (on/off)... and have never met an American outside of the Philippines (unless married to a Filipina) that knew what lumpia was. LOL...

Monsoon

just about the main reason we go to asian stores is to buy wrappers

We have huge Asian groceries here in Vegas. I like to go so I can check out all the hot Asian chicks shopping there.

• Like 3

afmayer

We have huge Asian groceries here in Vegas. I like to go so I can check out all the hot Asian chicks shopping there.

Yummy... you sound like me... the next step is to train your wife to point them out to you... our radar weakens as we age...

• Like 1