Balikbayan Privilege

• Administrator
Salty Dog

During a 6 month period, I took separate trips from Philippines to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand, I used the same onward ticket for all of them. I had bought a throwaway ticket for about 8 months later. Saved me buying one each time. Three different return airlines and they all asked to see my onward ticket, but no mention of it being months away. Last time I flew into Cebu there was a sign that said please show your Passport and onward ticket. Had it, but they didn't even look at it.

In fact the last time I flew here from the USA in 2009, I flew one way on Delta. It was to Manila via Atlanta and Detroit. They didn't even ask me about it, even though I had one just in case immigration needed to see it here. When I arrived in Manila they never asked either. However they had at least 6 Americans from various flights being held because they didn't have one.

The only thing you can count on for sure is that you can't count on anything for sure.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Lee

• hyaku

• sjp

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had problems with Delta Airlines for the last few years refusing to allow me to board without a visa until each time I had to give them a copy of the law, so let me suggest you print a copy of

But there is no harm in having you marriage cert on you just in case....

During a 6 month period, I took separate trips from Philippines to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand, I used the same onward ticket for all of them. I had bought a throwaway ticket for about 8 months

SkyMan

If you arrive in the Philippines on a different date than your wife, can you subsequently visit immigration with your wife and update to a balikbayan visa?

Yeah, no problem.  A friend of mine did just that and it only cost him about p30K.  p10K to get the BI agent to put the stamp in his passport and p20K about 6 months later when he got nailed with it.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
mikewright

Yeah, no problem.  A friend of mine did just that and it only cost him about p30K.  p10K to get the BI agent to pot the stamp in his passport and p20K about 6 months later when he got nailed with it.

OK, so that's out :sad_01:

So, are you saying you had an exit ticket 4 months out but they wouldn't let you board because your return was beyond 21 days?  I thought they didn't care when it was as long as you had one.

Now I can understand Delta not knowing the law but damn Cebu Pacific should know what the heck a BB priv is.  Criminies.

Yes that is what I am saying, I had a return ticket dated 4 months out on the very same airlines and the representative said she would have to pay to send me back and get a fine if the Philippines did not allow me entry and then when I presented the law and the supervisor looked at it, then they handed me a boarding pass. BTW each time this happened there was no problem for my wife who is a US citizen born in the Philippines to get a boarding pass, it seems that they know returning Filipinos can stay a year at a time but apparently do not wish to know or acknowledge that husbands and children can too.  :blink:

If you arrive in the Philippines on a different date than your wife, can you subsequently visit immigration with your wife and update to a balikbayan visa?

No, you must arrive with your wife according to the law.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I thought the law said you also had to be out of the country for a year. Unless your spouse has a foreign citizenship as in Lee's case.

From BI Website:

THE BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE (R.A.6768 as amended)

By legal definition, a Balikbayan is:

1.    A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least 1 year;
2.    A Filipino overseas worker; or
3.    A former Filipino citizen and his or her family, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

•    The “Balikbayan Privilege” may be availed of by foreign family members of all 3 classifications provided that they travel together everytime they enter the country (MEMORANDUM dated July 1, 2008 issued by Atty. Edgardo L. Mendoza, Chief, IRD).

•    “FAMILY” shall mean the spouse and the children of the Balikbayan who are not Balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines. (Section 2 ( of R.A. no. 9174, amending R.A. 6768, entitled: “An Act Instituting a “BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM”, by providing Additional Benefits and Privileges to Balikbayan and for other purposes”).

•    Correspondingly, all Balikbayans 14 years and below and 60 years of age shall be allowed to extend their temporary visitor visa under Section 9a of the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 as amended, for a maximum period of 6 months for every extension PROVIDED that all appropriate fees are paid. Thus, Balikbayans are allowed a maximum total stay of 2 years inclusive of all extensions. (MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. ADD – 02 – 011 dated 11 February 2002).

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

Yes that is what I am saying, I had a return ticket dated 4 months out on the very same airlines and the representative said she would have to pay to send me back and get a fine if the Philippines did not allow me entry and then when I presented the law and the supervisor looked at it, then they handed me a boarding pass. BTW each time this happened there was no problem for my wife who is a US citizen born in the Philippines to get a boarding pass, it seems that they know returning Filipinos can stay a year at a time but apparently do not wish to know or acknowledge that husbands and children can too.  :blink:

No, you must arrive with your wife according to the law.

Lee, I am buying a ticket to go to the Philippines for 6 months ( it is a return ticket dated for return in 6 months ) Your saying that Delta won,t let you board because I don,t have a 6 month visa ?. My wife is already in the Philippines so Balikbayan Visa is out.

Lee, I am buying a ticket to go to the Philippines for 6 months ( it is a return ticket dated for return in 6 months ) Your saying that Delta won,t let you board because I don,t have a 6 month visa ?. My wife is already in the Philippines so Balikbayan Visa is out.

Scott, I can only tell you and others what has happened to me with Delta not once but the last few times including earlier this year and to a friend of mine who was flying alone with Delta earlier this year. If I was you and flying again with Delta then I would have a copy of the law saying you can stay 30 days found HERE and have a cheap onward ticket within those 30 days or they MAY not allow you on your flight. That is the best advice I can give people flying with Delta or do not fly with Delta until they correct their misinterpretation of the law, that is if they have not corrected it since February. Call Delta yourself and speak to a big shot and get his or her name if they tell you otherwise but I suspect you may get an email shortly before your flight from a visa agency that works with Delta as I did in February telling me I needed a visa and even after I called them and gave them links to the law, when I showed up at the airport the same bs happened yet again in February of this year until I showed them the printed law.

Edit to add, since you will be flying out of Canada instead of the US, it could possibly be different but I suspect it is a corporate rule with Delta.

Edited by Lee
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Have a friend that comes here from Florida and stays 10-11 months, then returns for Christmas holidays. They have a round trip, always with Korean, but the domestic part of flight is a code share flight with Delta. Delta never ask about visa or anything to due with Philippines. Same when I flew them 3 times. Maybe Delta figures it's Koreans problem since they only fly them in the USA. You might want to check it out. Korean is best airlines I've ever flown and they have one of the top airports in the world. More like a fancy mall than an airport.

Have a friend that comes here from Florida and stays 10-11 months, then returns for Christmas holidays. They have a round trip, always with Korean, but the domestic part of flight is a code share flight with Delta. Delta never ask about visa or anything to due with Philippines. Same when I flew them 3 times. Maybe Delta figures it's Koreans problem since they only fly them in the USA. You might want to check it out. Korean is best airlines I've ever flown and they have one of the top airports in the world. More like a fancy mall than an airport.

I also fly with Delta to connect with Korean Air and then to the Philippines on Korean Air and Delta still has done the same thing each time even Feb of this year. Possibly it is the agent who is afraid of the fine, so it could be hit and miss or possibly the guy you are referring to has a 13a or a SRRV and then he would not need an onward ticket. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

No tourist, two months at a time. Did you book Delta then Korean or just book the entire flight with Korean?  All three of my flights were free using frequent flyer miles. Do you think that mattered? Also web check-in so no agent. Just dropped off luggage and went to gate.

Edited by Salty Dog

No tourist, two months at a time. Did you book Delta then Korean or just book the entire flight with Korean?  All three of my flights were free using frequent flyer miles. Do you think that mattered? Also web check-in so no agent. Just dropped off luggage and went to gate.

I booked the whole flight together and did a web check in each time but when I checked the luggage at the curb the guy looked at his computer and said wait here and went inside and after about 10 minutes of waiting, I went inside to hear the same bs, sorry sir you need a visa to stay over 21 days to which I handed her the law and in Feb of this year the clerk was still was not sure so I handed her a copy of an email the BI had sent me in reply with my name on it telling me I can stay a year at a time without a visa as long as I am traveling with my wife and that sealed the deal. If it had not also happened to a friend of mine, then I would say it was just my luck. Maybe it is hit and miss but I post it so no ones vacation plans are ruined. 

Edited by Lee
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I booked the whole flight together and did a web check in each time but when I checked the luggage at the curb the guy looked at his computer and said wait here and went inside and after about 10 minutes of waiting, I went inside to hear the same bs, sorry sir you need a visa to stay over 21 days to which I handed her the law and in Feb of this year the clerk was still was not sure so I handed her a copy of an email the BI had sent me in reply with my name on it telling me I can stay a year at a time without a visa as long as I am traveling with my wife and that sealed the deal. If it had not also happened to a friend of mine, then I would say it was just my luck. Maybe it is hit and miss but I post it so no ones vacation plans are ruined. 

Funny how the Philippines with all their BS doesn't care when your return flight is, but Delta has to be a hard ass.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

#salty dog, answering your question about 1 year. The original order was written in 1989 and modified in 2001 with statement added. This order has been posted on PH embassy websites around the world.

" All Immigration Officers at authorized

ports of entry shall grant the benefits and

privileges to all Balikbayan and former

Filipinos included every time they enter the

country to visit, regardless of their frequent

travel"

• Administrator
Salty Dog

#salty dog, answering your question about 1 year. The original order was written in 1989 and modified in 2001 with statement added. This order has been posted on PH embassy websites around the world.

" All Immigration Officers at authorized

ports of entry shall grant the benefits and

privileges to all Balikbayan and former

Filipinos included every time they enter the

country to visit, regardless of their frequent

travel"

Thanks for the reference.

Edited by Salty Dog
enoonmai

The stamp is a privilege, a courtesy. It is not a visa, it is not a "right". As has been stated, you cannot even request it until you are physically standing in front of the immigration officer, in your point of entry. It is also contingent upon the requester having certain valid legal documents. Should a ticket agent working for a foreign airline in a foreign country be responsible for determining the validity of foreign legal documents? Of course not. The carrier is 100% justified in denying anyone w/o an onward ticket who doesn't have the appropriate visa. Given that you get a free year without having to deal with BI at all for about a $20 ticket, I can't understand why anyone would want to risk missing a flight or arguing with gate agents. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.