Balikbayan Privilege

I will be coming soon(so to speak). I searched the forum but did not see the info needed.

Is there any "trickyness" to getting 1 year stamp? I am US citizen and will be returning with my filipina wife.

We have is a Japanese marriage cert in kanji and eng along with her passport with my last name.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee

• Salty Dog

• hyaku

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had problems with Delta Airlines for the last few years refusing to allow me to board without a visa until each time I had to give them a copy of the law, so let me suggest you print a copy of

But there is no harm in having you marriage cert on you just in case....

During a 6 month period, I took separate trips from Philippines to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand, I used the same onward ticket for all of them. I had bought a throwaway ticket for about 8 months

philuk

cant see you having a problem, we have never needed to show a marriage cert, just give your wife your passport to hand in together with hers, if she asks for balikbayan there should be no problem

hyaku

I will be coming soon(so to speak). I searched the forum but did not see the info needed.

Is there any "trickyness" to getting 1 year stamp? I am US citizen and will be returning with my filipina wife.

We have is a Japanese marriage cert in kanji and eng along with her passport with my last name.

Do they print Kekkon Todoke in English now? Wow, that's an advancement.

Paul

Make sure you and your wife are together, when in the line. 

Make sure you request the Balikbayan stamp upon arrival. 

CHECK your passport after they stamp it, just to make sure. 

It should have "1 yr" written on it. Or, if they have changed it by now, it should be predated for one year. 

I have had problems with Delta Airlines for the last few years refusing to allow me to board without a visa until each time I had to give them a copy of the law, so let me suggest you print a copy of the law found HERE and HERE if you prefer PDF, to have for the occasional dumb airline personnel who may not allow you on your flight without a visa, be it in the US or elsewhere. If you use Delta then be sure to have it or you may not be able to board your flight.

The Balikbayan privilege is extendible to legitimate members of the family (i.e., spouse and children) of individuals in the above-mentioned categories, who are holders of foreign passports ONLY IF they are travelling to the Philippines together with the above-mentioned qualified individual.

• Like 4
musicman666

cant see you having a problem, we have never needed to show a marriage cert, just give your wife your passport to hand in together with hers, if she asks for balikbayan there should be no problem

But there is no harm in having you marriage cert on you just in case....

• Like 1

Good idea because they keep changing requirements. Since the commissioner resigned they already changed certain things and application forms.

johnboy999

I have had problems with Delta Airlines for the last few years refusing to allow me to board without a visa until each time I had to give them a copy of the law, so let me suggest you print a copy of the law found HERE and HERE if you prefer PDF, to have for the occasional dumb airline personnel who may not allow you on your flight without a visa, be it in the US or elsewhere. If you use Delta then be sure to have it or you may not be able to board your flight.

The Balikbayan privilege is extendible to legitimate members of the family (i.e., spouse and children) of individuals in the above-mentioned categories, who are holders of foreign passports ONLY IF they are travelling to the Philippines together with the above-mentioned qualified individual.

I'm puzzled as to how they could ask for a visa to allow boarding as you don't need one to be admitted in the Philippines - even if you're not going to be getting a balikbayan, there's still the 21 day (or should in theory now be 30 day) visa free entry here.

T

I'm puzzled as to how they could ask for a visa to allow boarding as you don't need one to be admitted in the Philippines - even if you're not going to be getting a balikbayan, there's still the 21 day (or should in theory now be 30 day) visa free entry here.

Tell it to Delta, I tried year after year and they would not let me on the flight without a copy of the law because I was staying over the 21 days, since my wife and I stay about 4 months every year and last year they almost did not let me on with a copy of the law so I provided them an email from the BI which said I can stay a year at a time without a visa. I even spoke to the executive offices of Delta and they told me the burden of proof was on the traveler and not on them to have it.

As for the new 30 day stay now, I suggest people print the law to show the airline if they insist on a visa beyond 21 days. We know the law, but do they? Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it. 

BI LAUNCHES LONG-STAY VISA

The law says you must have an onward ticket, it does not say you can only stay 21 or 30 days but they do not care what the law says even when I told the executive assistant the link to the actual law.

Skywalker

Let us know how it goes for you, and good luck with the move.

USMC-Retired

I had the same issue, since a BB stamp is a privelge and not a visa category or right the decision to award this privelge is given at the port of entry. Thus the airlines are still required to have an onward ticket. When I flew in with my wife from Singapore Cebu Pacific demanded an onward ticket. However showing them the related documents listed here I was able to travel in without it.

Sent from my A919i using Tapatalk 2

Governments have made airlines liable for passengers traveling to other countries without valid documents or intercountry agreements. When they wouldn't let me into USA and asked for money the airline had to fly me on somewhere else.

SkyMan

Tell it to Delta, I tried year after year and they would not let me on the flight without a copy of the law because I was staying over the 21 days, since my wife and I stay about 4 months every year and last year they almost did not let me on with a copy of the law so I provided them an email from the BI which said I can stay a year at a time without a visa. I even spoke to the executive offices of Delta and they told me the burden of proof was on the traveler and not on them to have it. As for the new 30 day stay now, I suggest people print the law to show the airline if they insist on a visa beyond 21 days. We know the law, but do they? Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

So, are you saying you had an exit ticket 4 months out but they wouldn't let you board because your return was beyond 21 days?  I thought they didn't care when it was as long as you had one.

I had the same issue, since a BB stamp is a privelge and not a visa category or right the decision to award this privelge is given at the port of entry. Thus the airlines are still required to have an onward ticket. When I flew in with my wife from Singapore Cebu Pacific demanded an onward ticket. However showing them the related documents listed here I was able to travel in without it.

Sent from my A919i using Tapatalk 2

Now I can understand Delta not knowing the law but damn Cebu Pacific should know what the heck a BB priv is.  Criminies.

mikewright

If you arrive in the Philippines on a different date than your wife, can you subsequently visit immigration with your wife and update to a balikbayan visa?