refurbish a worn out building

stevewool

its all there but a little tied, a good clean, and a few alterations plus a new roof, this is in marikina so how far would 1 million peso go

SomeRandomGuy

lol      good question       probably a lot less   if u are dealing with someone crooked

maximian

How many sqm is the house and apart from the roof what other alterations need doing?

Brucewayne

If you are talking about a cement building, it might be wise to just tear it down and start again.

Check the integrity of the cement because once the weather starts hitting it, it deteriorates rapidly.

This is due to three things, poor, to no footings, poor quality of the cement used and lack of cement mix used when originally built.

• Like 1
Ozbrum

Need a lot more information from you , apart from previous comments, you need to detail what you expect to get from this building, I.e. " just the basics" or 5 star ?

E.g. Simple 3 foot square louvre window 850 pesos

High quality aluminum window same size with fly screen and lockable 6,000 pesos

All building items have a massive price range, depending on quality, where manufacture or assembly and availability.

Renovating can be a bit like building a new car from new spare parts, substantially dearer than purchasing a new mass produced car.

You sound like you need a builder to look at the place and to offer you some options

All the best

Al

hyaku

its all there but a little tied, a good clean, and a few alterations plus a new roof, this is in marikina so how far would 1 million peso go

Is it old or just not finished? A few good deals around where people never got to finish. Plain walls. No tiles etc.

SomeRandomGuy

mate i am actually a carpenter  by trade      where are u abouts  in the phils   if its  close  i might come and have a bit of a squizz for ya        plus i am always curious    bit bored since i retired these days  and i am always up for a bit of something to do    dont mind helping people out and all

• Like 1
stevewool

thanks for all the replys,

the house is my wifes dads home and it needs bringing into this century, i understand what everyone is saying about size and the budget but i dont want to throw lots at it just to make it better and looking good,

new roof and beams wanted, wall made a little higher too if possible,electrics made safe and so on, a litle painting will make it look 100% better

i just dont want to be spending lots on it

stevewool

we have had a quote from a builder over in marikina for a new roof and electrics plus to raise the walls another few blocks higher too, that was for 350,000 peso, the lhouse size is around 100 sq mtrs

stevewool

yes part of that area, Marikina

fredanna

I'm reading that you want to upgrade or make safe a house for your father-in-law? Are you there now and are going to manage the work? There are a lot of scams in the Phils.

stevensanph

350k sounds a lot for a new roof and electrics to be honest.

Our roof on our house cost 65k material only for a 2 story 130sqm house (that didn't include the ceiling which was done cheaply with Coco lumber and plywood - its 3 years old and still looks good.  roof is galvanised steel on metal trusses).  Labor should be in the 300 - 400peso/day range for that area of Manila (we are in Laguna and pay 250 - 350peso/day).  

If your looking at painting walls, electrics and roof I would split it into 3.  Have the roof done first by a roof contractor (find at any of the hundreds of places that sell roofing along the streets), then the electrics (call the local electrician - ask at the sari sari stores), and finally hire a painter.  Pay for material yourself and pay daily rates for the labor.

Of course - that means someone has to be there to 'manage' and oversee the process otherwise nothing will get done.

If you are not here, then it all will depend upon who you can trust to oversee the work. I am not referring to being ripped off. That is always a risk. I am referring to have a trustworthy AND competent individual watching the work get done. A lot of contractors will use subcontractors or simply hire "skilled" guys to do the more specialized work. This is where it gets dicey. Their "skills" may be nonexistent. The contractor still gets paid if the work is done, unless you have a really good contract and are able to force him to complete as agreed.

The only time I had difficulties is when I used a contractor.

What has always worked out better for me was to hire people known to my (extended) family. Often it was my own relatives. I also had the advantage of being here to watch the work being done. Again, the times I had troubles is when I was away from the job site and didn't discover the problems till later.

What you are describing is a fairly common renovation in my area. Building roofs is pretty straightforward in most places (I live in the provinces so some city dwellers may disagree). Wiring is the same so long as it is basic stuff like new circuits and simple fuse panels. If you are going into things like extra circuits for generator back up (for brown outs) and stuff like that, then it can push the skill level of some of the electricians.

A price of 350000 for what you describe does not seem extreme. Just keep in mind, there is a profit margin built into that for the contractor. If you can hire the labor yourself, then the price is materials plus labor.......maybe with a party thrown in as a bonus if done on time!