One of the Only things I will miss about living in USA :-(

ILoveCyrus

slow Internet that I am addicted to.  But I also miss the TV which is out when there are brownouts or too much rain.

addicted to Internet or the hot girls on the internet...? j/k

My need for infrastructure leaves me frustrated here, but then I go for a walk in the fresh mountain air (well high hills anyway) and the exercise and scenery reminds me why I still choose to be here.

The peace and serenity of a fresh mountain walk in the province...........is also what draws me to the PH.

SirMadrigal

Well, you could always move to Thailand, if it means that much to you. :P

I actually would haha but Im too lazy for Visa Runs

• Like 1
Paul

I actually would haha but Im too lazy for Visa Runs

Of course, i haven't been to every country in Southeast Asia. However, Thailand's internet speeds were certainly the best I had appreciated while living anywhere here. I lived there just long enough to get spoiled by it. I was paying for an 8 Megabit connection, but getting 10 down, most of the time. I forget how much up, now. But, it only cost me ~$30 USD per month, 1,000 THB, per month. Never any disconnections. Never any lagging. Never any power cuts. And, still in Asia. Unfortunately, Thailand is also full of whores - TOO many of them. That is one reason, aside from the visas, that I chose to leave there.

If they had a decent visa, I would go back, mainly for the internet (connection speeds and reliability). I would just choose a (much) less "whorish" area to live in next time. Yep, the internet connections changed a lot, when I came here to see what it was like. I went from that 8 to 10 Megabits, down to (if I was lucky), 2 Megabits.

The only connection, until I finally went with Metfone ADSL when I moved into this house, was an USB dongle that gave me about 3 to 5 Megabit connection, but was pretty costly. For every 4 Gigabytes of bandwidth, it cost me $12.00. Later, Smart came out with one here, much faster packages offered, and for less money. On paper it was great. In reality it was the worst connection speeds I had in many years. I didn't keep that long, trust me. 

My current connection is not throttled, for $24 USD per month. It is supposed to be a 4 Megabit connection. But, I would say it is probably closer to 3, during the hours I mainly use it. Over a 24 hour period, it probably averages out to about 2 Megabits. But, to be honest, since I now can do most transfers server to server, rather than uploading and downloading larger files, it isn't that big of a deal anymore. 

Paul

Guys, do I really, I mean, feckin' REALLY have to continue to tell you to stay on topic? Please. I really don't want to see people ending up banned from a forum, simply because they can't stay on topic within a thread. 

SirMadrigal

Of course, i haven't been to every country in Southeast Asia. However, Thailand's internet speeds were certainly the best I had appreciated while living anywhere here. I lived there just long enough to get spoiled by it. I was paying for an 8 Megabit connection, but getting 10 down, most of the time. I forget how much up, now. But, it only cost me ~$30 USD per month, 1,000 THB, per month. Never any disconnections. Never any lagging. Never any power cuts. And, still in Asia. Unfortunately, Thailand is also full of whores - TOO many of them. That is one reason, aside from the visas, that I chose to leave there.

If they had a decent visa, I would go back, mainly for the internet (connection speeds and reliability). I would just choose a (much) less "whorish" area to live in next time. Yep, the internet connections changed a lot, when I came here to see what it was like. I went from that 8 to 10 Megabits, down to (if I was lucky), 2 Megabits.

The only connection, until I finally went with Metfone ADSL when I moved into this house, was an USB dongle that gave me about 3 to 5 Megabit connection, but was pretty costly. For every 4 Gigabytes of bandwidth, it cost me $12.00. Later, Smart came out with one here, much faster packages offered, and for less money. On paper it was great. In reality it was the worst connection speeds I had in many years. I didn't keep that long, trust me. 

My current connection is not throttled, for $24 USD per month. It is supposed to be a 4 Megabit connection. But, I would say it is probably closer to 3, during the hours I mainly use it. Over a 24 hour period, it probably averages out to about 2 Megabits. But, to be honest, since I now can do most transfers server to server, rather than uploading and downloading larger files, it isn't that big of a deal anymore. 

Today is a good day here heh.

I seriously would stay in Thailand if it were not for the 90 day visa run, its not even the cost, its the simple fact that I am literally too lazy to get off my arse and cross a border, one of the same reasons I left Ukraine got tired of the 90 day hassles.

So internet sucks in Cambodia too?

post-14930-0-61702100-1376068559_thumb.jpg

Edited by SirMadrigal
miles-high

Of course, i haven't been to every country in Southeast Asia.

In Tokyo, most hotels have 100up/down... although the speed test shows about 70 or so... They (most ISP's) are quoting in their ads 200down/100up for about PHP3,500 per month including fiber telephone connection... :)

Oooops, Japan is not in SEA... ;)

Paul

So internet sucks in Cambodia too?

Pretty much. If you want reliable (what they call reliable anyway) fast internet, it WILL cost you. We are talking hundreds of dollars here. They do offer fiber optic here now, though. So, eventually, when the supply and demand ratio changes a bit, it will probably be decent pricing and more reliability. To be honest, I am content with my internet now. However, I still have three dongles to use as back up, if my primary connection ever does drop out. (I have never had issues with USB dongles here, with the exception of them running out of credit / load / bandwidth, and having to be recharged.)

Edited by Paul
miles-high

By the way, in Makati (for only a few selcted areas), PLDT has a "promo" right now... 100down/96up for PHP20,000 per month!

SirMadrigal

By the way, in Makati (for only a few selcted areas), PLDT has a "promo" right now... 100down/96up for PHP20,000 per month!

man that is one hell of a deal!! Id much rather pay 4,000 more p for my internet than my rent. haha

• Like 1
Paul

It's 1:12am here now. I am downloading video files at more than 400 Kb/s, via FTP. So, not too bad, for Cambodia. 

SirMadrigal

400KB/s I would be fine with if I could get that in Cebu but it doesnt seem possible where I will be staying