One of the Only things I will miss about living in USA :-(

SirMadrigal

2877638108.png

Gonna be soooooo hard to say goodbye, everything I research about internet in Cebu is gutwrenching, will be slowest net I have had in 16 years

Edited by SirMadrigal
  • Like 3
ThomsonJr

I used to download movies in less than an hour in Cebu City and I also streamed Youtube videos quite easily. Had no problem doing my online work either, guess you're exagerating, oh wait, you haven't even been to Cebu yet... :)

miles-high

Gonna he soooooo hard to say goodbye, everything I research about internet in Cebu is gutwrenching, will be slowest net I have had in 16 years

Well then, you may wish to "upgrade" to the Makati area for a similar speed... at a price, however... ;)

SirMadrigal

I used to download movies in less than an hour in Cebu City and I also streamed Youtube videos quite easily. Had no problem doing my online work either, guess you're exagerating, oh wait, you haven't even been to Cebu yet... :)

must have been a 700mb movie in 480p hah, otherwise you were in one of the very small tiny select areas of Cebu that have fiber and a connection like mine costs 20,000p a month from Globe

ThomsonJr

must have been a 700mb movie in 480p hah, otherwise you were in one of the very small tiny select areas of Cebu that have fiber and a connection like mine costs 20,000p a month from Globe

I was using a 1299p /month 2 mbps line from Globe, some hours are better than others, but I was very satisfied with it, good enough to download movies, stream videos and upload stuff.

Only problem I had was that my internet connection was down once for more than a week or so, and I was living at walking distance from IT park, in the city centre, and it was not only my compound but the whole neighborhood.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Here in the province we get the trickle down effect.  Whatever bandwidth is left after you city folk suck it dry trickles down to us.  And that ain't much.  It is getting so I look forward to the frequent brownouts so I can get away from the agonizingly slow Internet that I am addicted to.  But I also miss the TV which is out when there are brownouts or too much rain.

My need for infrastructure leaves me frustrated here, but then I go for a walk in the fresh mountain air (well high hills anyway) and the exercise and scenery reminds me why I still choose to be here.

• Like 2
SirMadrigal

I was using a 1299p /month 2 mbps line from Globe, some hours are better than others, but I was very satisfied with it, good enough to download movies, stream videos and upload stuff.

Only problem I had was that my internet connection was down once for more than a week or so, and I was living at walking distance from IT park, in the city centre, and it was not only my compound but the whole neighborhood.

That is completely unacceptable! I would wither into a small pile and die.

Here in the province we get the trickle down effect.  Whatever bandwidth is left after you city folk suck it dry trickles down to us.  And that ain't much.  It is getting so I look forward to the frequent brownouts so I can get away from the agonizingly slow Internet that I am addicted to.  But I also miss the TV which is out when there are brownouts or too much rain.

My need for infrastructure leaves me frustrated here, but then I go for a walk in the fresh mountain air (well high hills anyway) and the exercise and scenery reminds me why I still choose to be here.

I didn't say I couldn't cope, its just sad to see they are so far behind the times of the modern world still. It's still going to be better quality of life in Cebu than the states in my opinion.

smokey

its a trade off no more walmart whales but slow internet... no more traffic cops ,,, but 20 mph driving..... no more red light camera... no red lights

• Like 4
A_Simple_Man

I didn't say I couldn't cope,

Neither did I.  Did you infer that?

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I can download files at about 1MB per second when all is going well. Not sure how fast that works out to but I usually get around 8Mbs on speed test.

SirMadrigal

a MB is 1,000KB so times that by 8

1,000 * 8 = 8000mbps so that is spot on.

Paul

2877638108.png

Gonna be soooooo hard to say goodbye, everything I research about internet in Cebu is gutwrenching, will be slowest net I have had in 16 years

Well, you could always move to Thailand, if it means that much to you. :P 

Jawny

When I came to live here, the only Internet access in the area I lived was at Internet cafes. This meant a bus ride to the nearest location. When I got to the cafe, I had to hope it wasn't full of students cutting classes and playing games. Additionally, for a while, there were the booths with the curtains allowing the users some "privacy". Of course, this could be interrupted with a brown out once in a while just for good measure or some other technical issue preventing use of the system. Of course, I was restricted in what I could do, using a public Internet service.

Of course, some of you would say, why didn't of just get service at your home. No such thing then, in 2004. As I watched fiber optic cables being placed a few hundred meters from my home, and knew there were also lines strung on poles, along the same highway, it was frustrating to know there was good service, just not to my home. No matter how many mb or kb per second were flowing, it was not to my home.

Around 2009 we were allowed to set up wireless Internet to our home. It was the best that could be had.

As I read the posts of some of you who are frustrated by the slowness of your connection, I am comforted by the fact that I have a connection that works, most of the time.

Of course, I can also recall the days of party lines.