Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

S & R Membership Shopping August 2nd, 2013

Wolfpack

Our shopping evening at S & R Cebu August 2nd, 2013:

FROZEN FOODS OF CHOICE

Foster Farm Party Chicken Wings 2 1/2 pound bag

Foster Farm Chicken Breast (boneless/skinless) 2 1/2 pound bag

Daily Chef Franks in a blanket (60 pieces)

Gortons Fishsticks (44 pieces)

Lloyds St. Louis Style Pork Ribs

Farmland Honey Cured Ham

Hormel Black Label Bacon 1 pound

S & R packaged USDA Ground Beef 1 kilo

Blue Bunny Premium Double Strawberry Ice Cream 1.75 qt

DRINKS OF CHOICE

Califonia Milk (sell by date Sept 4)

Florida Orange Juice (sell by date Aug 20)

Welch's Grape Juice

Budweiser Beer pint size cans (born on date March 2013)

Budweiser Beer 12 oz bottles (born on date April 2013)

A & W Rootbeer

Canada Dry Ginger Ale

Cherry 7up

BAKERY

Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

S & R made Apple Pie

FRUIT

Autumn Royal Grapes

Black Cherries, Peaches, Plums, Strawberries in stock...we passed

JUNK FOOD

Lay's Variety Pack (Doritos, Cheetos, Potato Chips, Fritos)

Items "NOT IN STOCK SIR"

Johnsonville sausage...no hot links...no breakfast sausage...not one Johnsonville product on the grounds

TOTAL DAMAGE: 12,000 pesos plus 1000 pesos in combined travel costs (taxi/multicab/trike)

oh yeah, spent about 1000 pesos at their deli on snacks (Hot Dogs, Pizza, Fries and such)

note: Angus Beef Burgers and Miller's Beef Franks were in stock...we did not need them this trip...still plenty in our home stock

Half Baked

Daniel, were those the Angus beef "patties" that were in stock? Last time I was there, they only had the "whole" frozen Angus burgers. They had some angus beef patties in a bag, but I bought them before at S & R in a box. I really liked those. Can't recall the name, though. They were on sale at that time.

Edit: And nobody better smart-off about my post with "angus" and "whole" in it! :)

Edited by Half Baked
  • Like 1

Wolfpack

Daniel, were those the Angus beef "patties" that were in stock? Last time I was there, they only had the "whole" frozen Angus burgers. They had some angus beef patties in a bag, but I bought them before at S & R in a box. I really liked those. Can't recall the name, though. They were on sale at that time.

Edit: And nobody better smart-off about my post with "angus" and "whole" in it! :)

The ones in the bag are "Angus" beef burgers...those are in stock at regular price 1299...the one you speak of they were selling in red box before...were smaller burgers and were not "Angus" beef...I believe they were 12 to a box for 599 pesos...where the Angus are 18 to a bag...for 1299 today...sometimes you will see them on sale for as low as 899...thus the reason I am still stocked up on them...next month..around the 21st...they will have a big sale again...hopefully, those are one of the items again...

SkyMan

Did you notice any Bullseye or KC Masterpiece bbq sauce?

tim

So I figure about 300 usd ( @ 43 php = 1 USD exchange rate) for the whole haul. Will this last U (Mr. Wonderful)  and your family a week - bi weekly or monthly... ? 

I am just trying to figure some basic costs for long time visits ... I will probably join S & R at some point. It looks like I can supplement my diet with some good ole USA food basics while there, and try to slowly  adjust to eating more local foods.. by using S & R 

I am hoping to visit next summer for about 3 months and see how I  adjust to life there.  I am hoping to find a place to rent and stay in the city. I can store things at my wife's family homes in Talisay City - such as grills, coffee makers, slow cookers,  etc, and bring them into the city during my stay and then repack them and put them back in storage for my next trip. I would like to make two trips a year at 3 months per trip. A little Cebu a little Memphis... now that is retirement ....

Wolfpack

Did you notice any Bullseye or KC Masterpiece bbq sauce?

I tend to buy all my fixins at Ayala...so I did not notice the bbq sauce at S & R (they tend to sell things in giant sizes)

Wolfpack

So I figure about 300 usd ( @ 43 php = 1 USD exchange rate) for the whole haul. Will this last U (Mr. Wonderful)  and your family a week - bi weekly or monthly... ? 

I am just trying to figure some basic costs for long time visits ... I will probably join S & R at some point. It looks like I can supplement my diet with some good ole USA food basics while there, and try to slowly  adjust to eating more local foods.. by using S & R 

I am hoping to visit next summer for about 3 months and see how I  adjust to life there.  I am hoping to find a place to rent and stay in the city. I can store things at my wife's family homes in Talisay City - such as grills, coffee makers, slow cookers,  etc, and bring them into the city during my stay and then repack them and put them back in storage for my next trip. I would like to make two trips a year at 3 months per trip. A little Cebu a little Memphis... now that is retirement ....

I do different food shopping at different places...that is a month worth of frozen food and drinks...if I go back to S & R again this month..it would be for a milk run...

Fresh meat and veggies...we buy closer to home...Robinson's or Fiesta Mall in Talisay...

I will make a bread run to SM Mall (I like the breads at French Baker) once a month...

I will also bring my cooler to Ayala once a month, scope some frozen foods there...and buy ketchup, mustard, Manwich and such there (because they sell them in smaller sizes, which I prefer)

• Like 1

cebubird

I enjoy reading your shopping lists.Actually they have quite a few things at a good sale right now-thru the 21st I beleive.

Like those Lloyds ribs, I believe are 200 off, and that ham you bought is also on sale. Are you planning on keeping that ham in freezer for awhile or cooking soon? I thought about buying  one of those last week also. I kept picking one up and putting it down, but we were at 13k without it I also looked at those chicken breasts and wondered how good they are.

Talking about the millk, I'm sure glad we have a larger fridge now so I can keep more in stock at home, tho' it takes up lot of room in my 2 coolers.

You're right about Ayala frozen stuff too. I forget if it's Rustan's or Metro, but one of them now has lots of frozen goodies that can't be found elsewhere

smokey

I enjoy reading your shopping lists.Actually they have quite a few things at a good sale right now-thru the 21st I beleive.

Like those Lloyds ribs, I believe are 200 off, and that ham you bought is also on sale. Are you planning on keeping that ham in freezer for awhile or cooking soon? I thought about buying  one of those last week also. I kept picking one up and putting it down, but we were at 13k without it I also looked at those chicken breasts and wondered how good they are.

Talking about the millk, I'm sure glad we have a larger fridge now so I can keep more in stock at home, tho' it takes up lot of room in my 2 coolers.

You're right about Ayala frozen stuff too. I forget if it's Rustan's or Metro, but one of them now has lots of frozen goodies that can't be found elsewhere

shopping is a real adventure

Half Baked

Watch out for those "sales" at S n r.

The past two times we were there, some of the gourmet salami was "on sale". I forget now how much but it was something like this:

the sale sign said it was 1299/kg but now 999/kg. Well, I happened to do the cypherin' and the price listed on the package was 1299/kg. I thought maybe they will take it off at the counter. Got to the counter, lady scanned it, same price as on the package. And I've found that its better to not even argue, so I just said no, I didnt want it. That was the first trip. Second time (a few days later) the sign was still up... I looked at the price on a pack, did the math again, and yep! it was still 1299/kg.

So be very mindful when shopping there. One needs to be as scrupulous as the exit guard when reviewing their receipt.

blaze pontaine

I think the French Bakery at SM cebu puts all their stuff at half price at closing time.  There was a line of about 15 filipinos so i didn't bother.

smokey

The past two times we were there, some of the gourmet salami was "on sale". I forget now how much but it was something like this:

the sale sign said it was 1299/kg but now 999/kg. Well, I happened to do the cypherin' and the price listed on the package was 1299/kg. I thought maybe they will take it off at the counter. Got to the counter, lady scanned it, same price as on the package. And I've found that its better to not even argue, so I just said no, I didnt want it. That was the first trip. Second time (a few days later) the sign was still up... I looked at the price on a pack, did the math again, and yep! it was still 1299/kg.

So be very mindful when shopping there. One needs to be as scrupulous as the exit guard when reviewing their receipt.

thats still about 15 dollar a pound heck fire ...

Monsoon

I will also bring my cooler to Ayala once a month, scope some frozen foods there...and buy ketchup, mustard, Manwich and such there (because they sell them in smaller sizes, which I prefer)

FYI - When in the Pinas, I usually make my own version of Manwich. I have grown to like my own version far better. The basic recipe is:

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (of course we use the bags in Philippines)

1 cup ketchup   ** Whatever you do, don't use delmonte ketchup... It will taste like shit (IMO). But then who the hell would buy delmonte ketchup is beyond me... 

1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (Ive seen them at S&R but Idont use them actually I just saute grated onions or use onion powder depending on my mood)

1 tablespoon green pepper, chopped fine (I use the red peppers, I like them better or skip them when I use jalepenos)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon mustard

1 lb ground beef

I have made some changes to my own taste. E,g. I add jalepenos, tend to like a bit more chili powder etc. Note, you will need to adjust the amount of chili powder anyway as some available there isn't very good. Watch S&R for the large bottle of it, I think I bought one there, which is good of course for making your own chili

Even in the states where manwich is cheap and plentiful I just make my own from scratch. Throw a slice of swiss cheese on there and enjoy! 

Edited by Monsoon

Monsoon

Oh yea! And definately watch the regular prices as well. I remember the $40 box of Q-Tips... Did you guys get that pallet down in Cebu? I was shaking my head wondering who would be silly enough to buy them.

Also somebody mentioned USDA ground beef. If you are buying that regularly at S&R, I would recommend you get a meat grinder and do your own. Just do the math on the S&R prices for "USDA" ground beef and make your own. You will be shocked. The product I produced for my freezer was VERY VERY MUCH better than anything packaged. My friend who is a chef does the same thing and caters to big shots and runs a very sucessful restaurant doing the same thing. You can use local beef even. I did and it was better than the so called "USDA" ground beef. 

Edited by Monsoon

cebubird

Well if you had wanted that product all you would have needed to do is have them go check and if the sign is still there, they will sell it for what the sign says. Sales signs don't always get removed on time

We recently had that happen to us on a product that was like 300 off(only reason I bought it)I didn't notice as the girl was ringing it up and was looking at sales slip while waiting for wife to get our dali order, and saw reg price was rung up.

I went back inside to customer service counter, and girl looked it up and said, "no sir, computer says--". I was sure I read right sign so asked her to go check-she did and came back with the sign that should have been removed, so they gave me creit for the 300, and I used it next time.