Jawny

The cost was not outrageous. I can't recall the amounts exactly. I believe it was less than 100,000 pesos for ecerything. However, the costs were essentially as follows:

Fee to lawyer for handling the case (a flat fee, 30,000 to 40,000)

Fees for each court appearance (can be negotiated, but usually 1500 to 2500)

Cost of publishing notice in paper (this was actually pricey as I recall, something like 10000 to 15000)

Court filing fees (these are fixed fees but I don't recall the amount....maybe 20000?)

Some miscellaneous fees associated such as photocopying, photos for various documents (nothing is free or included....kinda like at immigration)

I believe there was also a fee for the social worker who comes to interview the family

The only hassles, aside from the solicitor general wanting to appeal the judge's ruling, was a clerk in the local registrar who "lost" some important papers. This delayed the completion of the NSO process and was intended to get a bribe for "finding" the lost papers. Longer story than that, but it was the one irritating part of the process.

Everything took a long time, but for us, time was not critical.

• Like 1

While being not directly related, the French system is similiar.

My partner was married to a French guy and had a child with him. They split and finally got a divorce. She got awarded legal custody of the child but "shared parental authority"

Shared parental authority means that in order to undertake any decision concerning the child, father must give permission. Decisions are so petty as choice of school, moving house, choosing a doctor, going on holiday within the same country, overseas travel, in fact anything/ decision that concerns the child.

Upon deciding to move to the PI, he gave his permission, but only verbally. Three months before departing, he decided to change his mind. Talk about a spanner in the works!! 

In brief, my partner had to stay behind while i left, fight a court case,lose due to father lying, and leave her daughter behind in France because bastard dad would not give permission for daughter to leave France. We have subsequently done a deal with sperm donor and after 8 months wait, partner is flying to Paris next week to collect her daughter for good.

Really, seriously beware of such terms as shared parental authority or similiar. Find out in minute detail what it means!!! Custody meant squat, when we thought it meant everything!

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 1
bargeman

anyone got an answer ,if I adopt g,fs 15 year old daughter can I get  UK passport issued here in the philippines ?

You cannot get your GF's 15 year old daughter a UK passport after you have adopted her here in the Philippines. You need to take her to the UK and adopt her there. She can then get a UK passport and eventual citizenship.

Check with the UK Embassy in Manila or the British Consul in Cebu, if they have found a replacement for Mrs. Jackson, as this was the rule as of 5 years ago.

If you can manage it, make an appointment at the Embassy in Manila as that is probably the only way you will ever get someone to speak to you.!!!

• Like 1
Paul

I am surprised at that .  Even though your name is on his birthcert its obvious that you are not his biological father.  Do you feel that you are safe from the laws that supposedly prohibit a filipino under age 12 ? from being alone with a foreigner without a family member present ?  [ these are not spurious questions btw  -- my 'son' is the same as yours  - its obvious that i arent his bio father ]   And i have not yet adopted him 

There may be a bit different thing going on here. My name is on Quinn's birth certificate. In the Philippines, I would not have to adopt him. He is considered my son just as if I were his biological father anyway. I have signed statements stating that very thing. I have taken on the responsibility of his biological father since before he was born, and every day since. He lives with me full time. He calls me Papa. He knows me, and me alone, as his father, his daddy, and the one who is gonna hand out ass whippiin's when he needs 'em. :D 

If I am correct, you are not on your son's birth certificate as his biological father, right? If that is so, then, perhaps you should dig deeper to find out. In all honesty though, I don't think you being with him every day of his life, with him living with you, growing up with you, and only knowing you as his father would really make a difference. What I mean here is, I don't think anyone would attempt anything like that mess with you, as I imagine he calls you papa anyway? (Now sure how old your son is?) 

ThomsonJr

I am surprised at that .  Even though your name is on his birthcert its obvious that you are not his biological father.  Do you feel that you are safe from the laws that supposedly prohibit a filipino under age 12 ? from being alone with a foreigner without a family member present ?  [ these are not spurious questions btw  -- my 'son' is the same as yours  - its obvious that i arent his bio father ]   And i have not yet adopted him 

I don't think you understood what he wrote, he is the father, so he is a family member.

• Like 1