panther

anyone got an answer ,if I adopt g,fs 15 year old daughter can I get  UK passport issued here in the philippines ?

Canuck Joe

anyone got an answer ,if I adopt g,fs 15 year old daughter can I get  UK passport issued here in the philippines ?

Just email or call the UK embassy and ask to be sure. Somebody here may know but its easy to get false info as well.

I was hoping we could change my step daughters last name but the only way to do that is adoption, which I would like to do but it will cost 100,000-200,000 php and include no contest from bio father. Traveling outside country is also prohibited without bio father concent until adoption.

Paul

If no one else is able to offer you an answer, I would suggest contacting the UK Embassy in Manila, at: 

British Embassy (Luzon)
120 Upper McKinley Road
McKinley Hill
Taguig City 1634
Metro Manila
Philippines

Phone: (+63) (2) 858 2200 
Fax: (+63) (2) 858 2237

Office hours (Local time):
Mon-Thurs: 08:00-16:45
Friday: 08:00-13:00
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

Traveling outside country is also prohibited without bio father concent until adoption.

Just to clarify - are you saying that your step daughter can not travel outside the country with her mother without the bio fathers consent ??  

Paul

Just to clarify - are you saying that your step daughter can not travel outside the country with her mother without the bio fathers consent ??  

Until the adoption process has been completed, I believe, is what he is saying.

Canuck Joe

that's right, unless full custody was granted along with annullment which is a separate process. It was bad enough getting annullment....at the time full custody was not needed since bio was/is a non issue.

Canuck Joe

Until the adoption process has been completed, I believe, is what he is saying.

That's rights as well. But consent papers can be made up here with out involvement of bio....you know how it goes.

But I still want my daughter to have same name and do things properly.

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 2
panther

well i,m planning a trip to singapore with g f and her daughter who is 15 does this mean its a no no ?

Canuck Joe

well i,m planning a trip to singapore with g f and her daughter who is 15 does this mean its a no no ?

if mother has full legal custody(which is unlikely) than no problem, if not, then she will need a consent letter from lawyer signed by bio father.

Edited by Canuck Joe
Davaoeno

thats the question that i asked and the answer was " yes "  ie its a no no    - but i didnt think about custody 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
Canuck Joe

thats the question that i asked and the answer was "no"- but i didnt think about custody

Nothing worse than having big planes, plane tickets and getting turned away at the airport.

Even traveling within the country have all documents in order. When checking in and your daughters last name is different than yours and moms, red flags go up.

"Whose kid are you taking away?"

Edited by Canuck Joe
Paul

When checking in and your daughters last name is different than yours and moms, red flags go up.

This is exactly why I wanted my name on Quinn's birth certificate. From the day he was born, as far as Philippine officials are concerned, he is 100% mine and Vivian's. Either one of us can travel with him, in country, without issues. But, it doesn't seem to have helped much, when traveling from the Philippines to another country in Southeast Asia. Immigration officials are still pricks when it comes to allowing citizens to leave the country. 

What I am getting at regarding this topic is, it may be best until you wait until the adoption has been completed before trying to take the child abroad. It will probably cause fewer hassles for you at Immigration, upon leaving the country.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Jawny

An adoption is not a quick process here. In fact, the requirements for foreigners are more stringent than for Philippinos. I completed an adoption here, and it took four years from start to completion. It was completed in two years (had the judge's approval) but there was a delay when the solicitor general decided to appeal the ruling. That ended up adding more time as well as the mandatory processing time for the NSO documents.

Not sure if a child adopted would become a naturalized citizen of your homeland. In my case, the child retained her Philippino citizenship and passport. However, her name was changed to my surname. In my case, I was married. Not sure what requirements there are for adopting a child of a girlfriend. I suspect the solicitor general would have an issue in this regard as the intent behind adoption laws are to provide for the best interests of the child.

Davaoeno

Either one of us can travel with him, in country, without issues.

I am surprised at that .  Even though your name is on his birthcert its obvious that you are not his biological father.  Do you feel that you are safe from the laws that supposedly prohibit a filipino under age 12 ? from being alone with a foreigner without a family member present ?  [ these are not spurious questions btw  -- my 'son' is the same as yours  - its obvious that i arent his bio father ]   And i have not yet adopted him 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
Canuck Joe

An adoption is not a quick process here. In fact, the requirements for foreigners are more stringent than for Philippinos. I completed an adoption here, and it took four years from start to completion. It was completed in two years (had the judge's approval) but there was a delay when the solicitor general decided to appeal the ruling. That ended up adding more time as well as the mandatory processing time for the NSO documents.

Not sure if a child adopted would become a naturalized citizen of your homeland. In my case, the child retained her Philippino citizenship and passport. However, her name was changed to my surname. In my case, I was married. Not sure what requirements there are for adopting a child of a girlfriend. I suspect the solicitor general would have an issue in this regard as the intent behind adoption laws are to provide for the best interests of the child.

painfully slow...I'm afraid to ask you what it cost.