Sign in to follow this  
Alfred E. Neuman

plumbing

Alfred E. Neuman

our house is as old as my brain which means the small pipes are dirty, we have an elevated water tank. Is it possible to pour drano to improve water pressure?

Knowdafish

Are you talking about the freshwater feed lines or the drain lines? 

Alfred E. Neuman

feed lines

Knowdafish

I wouldn't use draino in a freshwater line. Are your lines plastic of metal? If they are plastic they are likely lined with hard water deposits, and any low points may have a build-up of sediments and scale. Do you have or use any kind of a filter? 

If any of your lines are steel, even galvanized steel, the inside of your pipes are likely clogged with chunks of rust. 

You faucets will also get clogged with debris along with toilet valves. 

You might be able to blow some of the crap out by using compressed air, which is what I would try 1st with a limit of 40 psi or so. 

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Thirsty ? want a glass or water ?  do you want ice with that ?  how about some draino ?    :ROFLMAO:    Not only will it quench your thirst but it will probably keep you regular also !! 

Why not email the company that makes Drano and ask if they recommend that you put it into your fresh water supply ????  Your email will probably make their annual newsletter  ! 

RogerDat

Greetings! I will assume you are serious. If you got metal lines, or small blue plastic (1/2 inch size), both have problems.

metal rust, and plastic grows mold inside. Cheapest way is to run new 3/4 inch plastic lines, and use air conditioning insulation on any that have direct sunlight on them.

Clean inside the tank before you connect the new lines, and give it a good washing out, then connect the new lines.

I suggest you hire someone to do this as this does not appear your strong point.

philuk

I will be sending over copper pipe from here with all the other stuff in the container when i start my build

dont like the idea of steel or plastic. copper is good at killing bacteria.

roadhaze

YOU can not be serious. DRANO in your water. DRANO IS A TOILET CLEANER. I personaly don't want to be any where nere your water supply.

Knowdafish

I will be sending over copper pipe from here with all the other stuff in the container when i start my build

dont like the idea of steel or plastic. copper is good at killing bacteria.

What wall thickness? Just be aware that the often hard and alkaline water here eats copper. Be sure and bring a lot of pipe wrap too if you plan on running your copper pipe through concrete. 

Edited by Knowdafish

Alfred E. Neuman

it really does sound stupid but i was planning to only use the water until at least 5 watertank refills. we never use faucet water for drinking or cooking . Fixing/replacing the steel and plastic pipes will require building a new house.  Will try the compressed air method.

hyaku

One of my outside faucets stopped running. Took it off. There was an eel jammed in it. Needed pliers to get it out. Now thats what I call 'fresh water'. Too much chlorine coming up from underground when it rains heavy. Ok for us humans maybe but it wipes out my fish if I refill the pools.

hchoate

Do they make an electric snake that small?

Headshot

Actually, if you have lime build-up in your lines, you can put muriatic acid into an almost empty tank, and then let it fill the pipes so it can dissolve the lime. Muriatic acid is just a dilute form of hydrochloric acid. The more concentrated the muriatic acid, the quicker it will dissolve the lime. It will also kill algae and mold if they exist in your lines. It will not leave any residue in the lines after it is rinsed out. Certainly you should ensure that you run a few tanks worth of water through the lines before you use the water for anything but flushing the toilet, but after that the water is at least as safe as it was before your cleansing process. Draino has some really nasty chemicals in it that may not rinse out so easily.

When building here, people should really consider using larger diameter pipes. My house has one-inch polyethylene water pipes throughout. All joints are heat-welded, so there should never be any plumbing problems.

• Like 1

hchoate

Drano is sodium hydroxide and bits of aluminum.

The only reason it is dangerous is that it is so concentrated. It dissolves readily and dilutiion will make it harmless. It cannot get 'caught' anywhere to jump out and bite you later.

It's also not very good for cleaning pipes, only unblocking clogs.

Sodium hydroxide is food grade and consists of sodium ions and hydroxide ions. Sodium hydroxide has been widely used in drinking water as a pH adjusting agent and is also used in food processing. It therefore has a long history of safe use in these applications.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/ingredient-list

Aluminum is the most plentiful metal in the earth’s crust. It is present in the environment combined with other elements such as oxygen, silicon, and fluorine.

Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can cause serious health problems.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=164929

smokey

well my spa gets that thick calcium build up in the heater and i dump 5 gallons of vinegar in the spa run it a while then drain ... lots of white power comes out and vinegar is cheap

• Like 1