Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Installation Costs For Elevated Tank

cebubird

Hate to start new topic here, but really need idea of cost for this as we want to start on this next week. 

We're buying polyethylene 660 liter for 8k and planning on 6 meter tower. What would be a reasonable price to build/install this tank?

Edited by Paul
added tags

cebubird

Only "guess" I saw on that thread was The Bob guessing 50-80k. Was trying to find out if someone actually knew from firsthand experience what it would cost.

My engineer has given me a price of 56, and he says maybe he is overdesignong/overbuilding it.

• Like 1

CebuKano

I Understand CB.

I can't say about a tower because I never needed one built but you may want to check with these guys regarding your tank. They had the type you want in stock when I bought our stainless ones. Might save you a few pesos. They have pumps and associated hardware also. Might be worth a look.

Granite Industrial Corp.

http://www.affordablecebu.com/board/stuff/machines_tools_accessories/firstank_stainless_water_storagetank_for_sale_in_cebu/145-1-0-2898

Located at Herman Cortes St. on the opposite side of the road from Mandaue Foam.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Knowdafish

Can you post a picture of his design or give us some idea of how it is to be constructed? Then maybe we can offer an opinion on the materials he wants to use and the overall price. 

• Like 1

Jawny

I can't give you a photo of the tower I have, but it was built several years ago, using GI pipe. Height was six meters, the length of the pipe. I paid materials and labor to a welder who was experienced making such towers. Pretty basic, really. A cement foundation was prepared, the basic frame was four larger pipes with smaller cross pieces to support the "deck" on the top. The deck was made of flat and angle bar with a railing around the deck. A ladder was assembled also using angle and flat bar.

A couple of hints. Make the deck large enough to feel comfortable walking around the tank. You may have a need in the future to gain access, and unless you're pretty good at moving around six meters off the ground, you'll want a bit of extra space.

The ladder should be to your liking, for the same reasons.

A neighbor made a tower off site using a angle iron and flat bar, also six meters high. He then transported it to the site and the tower was elevated using ropes and a lot of grunting.

As to cost, if you can get a welder with skills, it will be whatever he charges per day. For the materials, it is the metal as well as the welding rods and rental ?? of a welder.

The estimate of 56k sounds about right, just using a hunch.

I really don't think you need the services of an engineer. This adds to your costs and a skilled welder will know how to make such a tower. Pretty common here.

• Like 1

Knowdafish

Be sure to add cross bracing to prevent any lateral movement. Water up high is like a clock pendulum and can get the tower to sway in a significant earthquake. 

• Like 1

Paul

Bill, 

Personally, I would suggest no less than 1,000 liters. Trust me, during a water shortage, you will appreciate the extra capacity.

Just my opinion, of course. 

Jawny

I have to agree about the size of the tank. I realize you may already have bought the tank. If there is an opportunity to go for a larger capacity, it will be worth it.

cebubird

Thanks fellows. about the tank I am sure you are all right about the larger tank, but all in with the smaller one now. The platform around the top is 2x2 and the base is 1 and 1/2 by 1 and1/2. we are in former rice field and footers and tie beams will be 1 meter deep with 16mm rebar and most of the angle iron is 3/16 x 2 and flat bar is 3/16 x 1 and 1/2. I could knock off about 12k on the foundation column/wall footings, but guess I would rather err on the side of caution. If I knew how to post pics on here, I would take pics of the drawings and post them As to why I am using an engineer, he built our house and is also going to build a swimming pool for us. I am pretty sure I could get it done for less, as he is a little more expensive than other folks, but I know it will be done right. I appreciate imput from you guys and maybe my imput about pricing will be of benefit to someone else.

BTW the labor cost on this is 15500.

Edited by cebubird

SkyMan

The platform is bigger than the base?  I guess you must be talking about meters right? 

One thing is that a steel tower will likely cost more than concrete. 

Knowdafish

BTW the labor cost on this is 15500.

With this figure you should be able to come up with a price for the materials (15,500 minus the total you were quoted) based on a materials list and quantity of each, shop them, then see where the money is going I would think. 

cebubird

Well he has everything broke down by section as to materials and the steel tower materials are 17k.

Davaoeno

So you have a bid of 56K- which people have told you is reasonable.  This from a guy that you apparently know and trust and who has expertise .  Do you really want to shop around and use the villiage idiot who will probably give you a lower quote ??   Do you really want to be worrying everytime there is a high wind or a bit of a tremor ?   Lets see - a quote for 52000 pesos would save you about  $93  !!  Seems like a no brainer to me .

cebubird

So you have a bid of 56K- which people have told you is reasonable.  This from a guy that you apparently know and trust and who has expertise .  Do you really want to shop around and use the villiage idiot who will probably give you a lower quote ??   Do you really want to be worrying everytime there is a high wind or a bit of a tremor ?   Lets see - a quote for 52000 pesos would save you about  $93  !!  Seems like a no brainer to me .

Guess you must have imagined that I wrote something I didn't write, and don't think I even implied I was shopping around. I never had any questions about WHO was going to do the job. I simply was curious to see what others might have paid.

Most of comments I receive locally are from folks/family who always think CHEAP, and have NEVER installed one, or if they have, it was done "on the cheap". Also wanted to be able to show a couple comments to my wife who hears those kind of comments, and naturally she ALWAYS thinks the price is too much because I'm a foreigner.

Of course she thought same thing about cost of our house going in, as her family/friends, etc convinced her I was paying way too much, when in fact, I knew from you and others on this forum that I was getting a VERY good deal from a VERY reputable contractor.

Now that our house is finished, most people think it costs twice what we paid

• Like 1