Best Travel Health Insurance for 90 day stay in Cebu

SirMadrigal

Ok so I have talked to my health insurance provider in the US and they said they will cover me for emergency services in the Philippines but I have pay upfront and submit my bills to them and they will re-imburse me. Well, hmmm....I don't really care for that plan so i am looking at travel health insurance plans that will be accepted in the Philippines.

Any suggestions?

enoonmai

Any suggestions?

The policy of the hospital will determine that and I wouldn't count on any of them admitting you and doing direct billing to a foreign insurance company. Carry a credit/debit card and plan on paying up front and being reimbursed no matter what the agent or insurance company tells you.

• Like 1
SirMadrigal

yeah i always have a credit or debit card handy but I also was looking into travelers insurance as well.

ThomsonJr

Health insurance is something very important especially in countries such as the Philippines. I actually tested my health insurance company, although it wasn't an emergency, I just didn't feel like paying anything that day for health care, same as what i'm used to back home.

So what I did is I called my insurance company back home, which covers me worldwide, and exagerated a little bit saying that it is an emergency and I need to go to the hospital as soon as possible, first they insisted me to go and pay myself but I kept telling them that's not what I want to do, so they agreed and called me back a few hours later with an address they got from a local Phil health insurance with who they are partners with, if it truely was an emergency I would have probably died during that time, but anyway, so I went to that said hospital and got myself checked up but it took a while for them to understand that I was sent by a health insurance company and that they will cover the costs, but I ended up somehow leaving without paying because the local partner health insurance company called the hospital, but if your a softie they will make you pay not only the hospital but also your health insurance, just depends on how much of a negotiator you are.

SirMadrigal

Health insurance is something very important especially in countries such as the Philippines. I actually tested my health insurance company, although it wasn't an emergency, I just didn't feel like paying anything that day for health care, same as what i'm used to back home.

So what I did is I called my insurance company back home, which covers me worldwide, and exagerated a little bit saying that it is an emergency and I need to go to the hospital as soon as possible, first they insisted me to go and pay myself but I kept telling them that's not what I want to do, so they agreed and called me back a few hours later with an address they got from a local Phil health insurance with who they are partners with, if it truely was an emergency I would have probably died during that time, but anyway, so I went to that said hospital and got myself checked up but it took a while for them to understand that I was sent by a health insurance company and that they will cover the costs, but I ended up somehow leaving without paying because the local partner health insurance company called the hospital, but if your a softie they will make you pay not only the hospital but also your health insurance, just depends on how much of a negotiator you are.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield in the USA, they say they will Reimburse me in the Philippines if I had emergency medical expenses that were "In-Patient" if it is Out-Patient is it subject to my deductible before they will pay. I am mainly concerned about Emergency medical and getting some additional coverage possibly, I have looked at some travel insurance companies to see who would pay what so that even if I had to come out of pocket the Travel Insurance would cover my Deductibles and Co-pays.

My concern is that even though I may have insurance, if I show up unconcious (because some good Samaritan saw it fit to scare me up and put me in the ambulance) that they would be like "Hmm, well maybe he can't pay, let's let him die". I read someone else said they had to provide a Down payment which is fine, I have the funds to do so but what if you are not "awake" whence you arrive to the hospital? What happens then? I could pay 25,000p down payment on a CC without issue but I would have to be awake to consent to it no?

Do I need a Filipino Fairy GodMother as an emergency contact to prove I am not a scallywag and can pay my bills? If so who can be my Fairy Godmother? :)

What I was curious about and can't seem to get a straight answer is "IF" a tourist or expat can purchase Local Filipino insurance from a local provider like BCBS Philippines I see they have "Travel Insurance" that for 90 days would cost about $180US but it only offers $50,000US in coverage that doesn't seem like much but then again I could be thinking about things in a "United States Anal Rape" healthcare cost system where $50K gets me an Aspirin and a Lollipop

SirMadrigal

I use Europ-Assistance which is worldwide, their USA website is http://www.worldwideassistance.com/

and yes, if you show up to the wrong hospital and you can't somehow pay the upfront deposit requested, they will let you die. 

do they actually pay claims? I have read so many horror stories about how all these travel insurance companies don't pay the claims submitted

enoonmai

My concern is that even though I may have insurance, if I show up unconcious (because some good Samaritan saw it fit to scare me up and put me in the ambulance) that they would be like "Hmm, well maybe he can't pay, let's let him die".

Philippine hospitals are required by law to treat you if your condition is "serious". But that doesn't mean that they will and being admitted is where the subject of payment will likely come up. Carry an "in case of emergency" card or paper with the name of an immediate family member who can be contacted. You're never going to nail down everything 100% in advance, be careful and don't take unnecessary risks. 

SirMadrigal

Philippine hospitals are required by law to treat you if your condition is "serious". But that doesn't mean that they will and being admitted is where the subject of payment will likely come up. Carry an "in case of emergency" card or paper with the name of an immediate family member who can be contacted. You're never going to nail down everything 100% in advance, be careful and don't take unnecessary risks. 

Yeah I will cancel my Tshirt and Sandals an Helmet-less Motorbike tour of Cebu (sigh) ;)

ThomsonJr

do they actually pay claims? I have read so many horror stories about how all these travel insurance companies don't pay the claims submitted

I am very satisfied with them, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I didn't even submit a claim when I used them the last time in Cebu, but of course they actually wanted me to pay first but I strongly refused and after a while on the phone the guy agreed and called a partner health insurance company in the Philippines to see where I can go without paying and which hospitals are partners with them, and they took care of the bill. But like I said in case of an emergency, it might take a while, a few hours or so.

Actually, now I know it is better to call them first if you can, then go to the hospital they suggest, becareful because some of the hospitals in the Philippines might not be covered by your health insurance and you won't see your money ever again.

I know this because another time I was feeling very dizzy and had serious headaches for a while so ended up going to Cebu Doctors Hospital and they suggested that I should do an X-Ray scan of my head, they quoted 26,000 pesos or something, which is quite ridiculous because that very same X-Ray scan would cost me nothing back home, when I asked the receptionist if they can just contact my insurance company and bill them, they refused and when I called my insurance company they said that they are not partners with Cebu Doctors Hospital so even if I would have paid the 26,000 pesos then I would have never seen it again.

In fact, you always better call your health insurance first, or atleast know a list of hospitals in the Philippines which are covered by them so you know where to go.

SirMadrigal

I am very satisfied with them, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I didn't even submit a claim when I used them the last time in Cebu, but of course they actually wanted me to pay first but I strongly refused and after a while on the phone the guy agreed and called a partner health insurance company in the Philippines to see where I can go without paying and which hospitals are partners with them, and they took care of the bill. But like I said in case of an emergency, it might take a while, a few hours or so.

Actually, now I know it is better to call them first if you can, then go to the hospital they suggest, becareful because some of the hospitals in the Philippines might not be covered by your health insurance and you won't see your money ever again.

I know this because another time I was feeling very dizzy and had serious headaches for a while so ended up going to Cebu Doctors Hospital and they suggested that I should do an X-Ray scan of my head, they quoted 26,000 pesos or something, which is quite ridiculous because that very same X-Ray scan would cost me nothing back home, when I asked the receptionist if they can just contact my insurance company and bill them, they refused and when I called my insurance company they said that they are not partners with Cebu Doctors Hospital so even if I would have paid the 26,000 pesos then I would have never seen it again.

In fact, you always better call your health insurance first, or atleast know a list of hospitals in the Philippines which are covered by them so you know where to go.

Apparently my insurance says the ONLY hospital in Cebu they approve of is Chong Hua??

ThomsonJr

Apparently my insurance says the ONLY hospital in Cebu they approve of is Chong Hua??

Not bad, it's a good hospital, probably even the best in Cebu, also the most expensive from my experience, it's in the city centre not far from Fuente circle and Robinsons Mall.