Yamaha XT225 (Serow) Information

Ronin

Just thought I'd start a new topic for anyone that has or needs information on the Serow.

I'll start with my Chain Roller debacle...

In another thread a member mentioned that the lower chain roller has a tendency to self destruct (Thanks Lin).  I looked at my lower chain roller and it was missing!

I ordered this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OSB1BK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it did not fit.  Apparently there are differences in bikes shipped to Asia and bikes shipped to the US.

I went to the local Yamaha dealer (with the part number).  Although they did not have it in stock they were able to order it from Manila - total cost 189 pesos.

Here's some pictures:

Left stock roller, Right Amazon Roller.

post-8276-0-38705100-1375345213_thumb.jpg

The amazon roller is very nice with two sealed bearings.  However it did not fit on my bike because the roller fits on a threaded spindle that is part of the frame.

post-8276-0-49061500-1375345430_thumb.jpg

The stock roller slides onto a piece of plastic that then slides onto the spindle.

post-8276-0-73304400-1375345624_thumb.jpg

post-8276-0-55894300-1375345645_thumb.jpg

Everyone feel free to add info or comments about the XT225 to this post.

Canuck Joe

...if the stock one gives up quick again i would cut off that spindle and use that nice roller you have.

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 1
Ronin

...if the stock one gives up quick again i would cut off that spindle and use that nice roller you have.

Good idea.

Good you spotted the missing roller Ronin.  As I think I said, without the roller the chain can whip and bunch up, jamming the output sprocket which can lead to a really lurid and unexpected slide....  

I think David has further info on where to source chain rollers.  

Concerning cutting that spindle off.  Before doing that, just better confirm that the Amazon roller has a compression spacer between the bearings.  If not, when the bolt is tightened it will thrust load the bearings and they will rapidly fail.

Ronin

confirm that the Amazon roller has a compression spacer between the bearings

It does have the spacer but I don't think I would cut any part of my frame.  I'd just order a new one from Yamaha.  If that was not possible, I think I could use it by removing the bearings and putting it on the spindle, may be a little loose but it would probably work.

post-8276-0-02911300-1375352796_thumb.jpg

Davaoeno

or leave the outer bearing in place [ basically as a spacer] ??   Just cut out the red part 

David_LivinginTalisay

Just thought I'd start a new topic for anyone that has or needs information on the Serow.

I'll start with my Chain Roller debacle...

In another thread a member mentioned that the lower chain roller has a tendency to self destruct (Thanks Lin).  I looked at my lower chain roller and it was missing!

I ordered this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OSB1BK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it did not fit.  Apparently there are differences in bikes shipped to Asia and bikes shipped to the US.

I went to the local Yamaha dealer (with the part number).  Although they did not have it in stock they were able to order it from Manila - total cost 189 pesos.

Here's some pictures:

Left stock roller, Right Amazon Roller.

attachicon.gifChainRollers1.jpg

The amazon roller is very nice with two sealed bearings.  However it did not fit on my bike because the roller fits on a threaded spindle that is part of the frame.

post-198-0-01613100-1375372363_thumb.jpg

The stock roller slides onto a piece of plastic that then slides onto the spindle.

attachicon.gifChainRoller3.jpg

attachicon.gifchainroller4.jpg

Everyone feel free to add info or comments about the XT225 to this post.

My XT225 Lower Chain Roller is starting to break up, so I will be looking for a replacement.

Thanks Ronin, for the Photos, as I have not looked how the roller attaches, except I could see a hole on the outside, but no bolt protruding through.

if you are happy with the stock Yamaha item, I will buy that 1992-2007 Yamaha XT225 Dirt Bike Lower Chain Roller by MSR off you, if you will not be using it, as it does not fit?

I have a mind to make it fit by removing that 'spindle' (by sawing that spindle tube off, close to the frame bracket, and file it flat, down to the welds that attached it.  One could use an angle grinder, but dangerous if slip, or spark ignites fuel!).  Thus, there will then be just a hole in the Frame Bracket - no spindle on the other side just a flat surface!  That bolt with nyloc nut can can then attach to, with chain roller on it.

31OxRFUum2L._SX385_.jpg

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/26144-green-trail-riding-in-cebu-on-dual-sport-motorbike/?view=findpost&p=669863

I did suggest we place a 'bulk order' for all those with XT225's that would probably need such a Chain Roller at some point.

I had no idea this would be yet another difference between Jap 'Serow' and USA 'Serow' (like 10mm pivot pins in footrests, not 8mm like on USA Footrests.  I had to have them drilled out to suit the larger 10mm pins.

I am sure that spindle can be removed, leaving just a hole in that bracket.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

If that was not possible, I think I could use it by removing the bearings and putting it on the spindle, may be a little loose but it would probably work

In my view (and considering the possibility of the rear wheel locking) retaining the integrity of the original design would be desirable. 

David_LivinginTalisay

In my view (and considering the possibility of the rear wheel locking) retaining the integrity of the original design would be desirable. 

Lin, what about my idea of removing the Japan welded on spindle, to make it like the USA version (with a hole in the frame bracket), rather than welded on spindle, so that the MSR /2BallsRacing roller could be attached (with its double sealed dual bearing)

79-5008-a.jpg

• Like 1
Ronin

David,

The bracket the spindle on is very thin.  The OEM part is 189 pesos.  I would suggest you go that route.

Canuck Joe

David,

The bracket the spindle on is very thin.  The OEM part is 189 pesos.  I would suggest you go that route.

David must have me on block....oh the irony lol
Davaoeno

David must have me on block....oh the irony lol

You arent special - I think there are about 45 of us that are on block ! 

I like your idea of replacing the spindle  

Edited by Davaoeno
David_LivinginTalisay

David,

Ronin,

I did a 4 Year Engineering apprenticeship with the MOD in the UK, when I was 16! 

I did acquire some mechanical skills in the 1st year, that would enable me to saw off that spindle, relatively close to the bracket it was welded to, and then finish with some filing.

post-198-0-68128000-1375440084_thumb.jpg

Ronin, can you please advise if the supplied bolt with that MSR Chain Roller will screw into the existing spindle?

I am just trying to ascertain if I will also need to drill, and perhaps tap the hole that will be in the frame welded attachment plate to take the MSR attachment bolt?

Ronin

I didn't try the supplied  bolt but if I understand what you're doing correctly, you might be able to use the original bolt.

David_LivinginTalisay

I didn't try the supplied  bolt but if I understand what you're doing correctly, you might be able to use the original bolt.

post-198-0-07622700-1375446585_thumb.jpg

If that MST Chain Roller attachment Bolt is the same thread, then it should be a relatively easy conversion. (If the the bolt is bigger than the threaded hole, then it may need drilling and tapping to same size and thread - metric I assume).

post-198-0-74766300-1375446587_thumb.jpg

post-198-0-86600800-1375448988_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the images, as the bolt and the MSR Chain Roller images are not from the same 'angle' as your photo of XT225 Chain Roller spindle, so not very accurate.  I just quickly knocked them up, to illustrate the 'conversion' that I envisage. 

Hopefully they are good enough to explain how such MSR or 2BallsRacing Chain Roller could be made to fit a Jap version Serow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Balls-Sealed-Lower-Chain-Roller-YAMAHA-XT-225-1992-2007-/230946719352

$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsyHeBRQsOfE3V!~~60_12.J

Price:US $12.93
  • Reduce the friction dragging down your drivetrain 
  • Polyurethane roller with 98A durometer hardness for long life 
  • Precision contact sealed bearings keep water and dirt away 
  • Rollers made from Delrin are self-lubricating and offer significant improvement over OEM

If you don't consider a Double-Sealed, Dual Bearing, 'Delrin' polyurethane roller (with 98A durometer hardness) as being superior, and giving longer life than the Yamaha OEM item, than stick with that OEM version (and I would buy that MSR Chain Roller  @ Amazon.com price, if you are willing to sell it to me?).

Or perhaps I just place an Order with Lytle Racing Group on eBay (along with some other items perhaps?), after I am in China and have some extra funds.

310x90.gif

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay