Phil Health and pre-existing conditions

hchoate

Any experiences with this? And I assume premiums go up with age.

shadow

Any experiences with this? And I assume premiums go up with age.

When you sign up for Philhealth there is a wait period (3 months?), that is to allow for possible preexisting conditions. Not sure what other regs they have in place. Premiums do not go up with age.

hchoate

When you sign up for Philhealth there is a wait period (3 months?), that is to allow for possible preexisting conditions. Not sure what other regs they have in place. Premiums do not go up with age.

Holy crap. That sounds just like the laws in the health insurance 'death spiral' States in the US. Either it ain't real insurance but rather government subsidized medical care or there's gotta be a big catch somewhere.

Nangulo

9 months (3 quarters) waiting period.  It's so you can't get pregnant and then sign up for coverage.  Also, PhilHealth only pays if you've been admitted to a hospital that carries their insurance.  No outpatient coverage at all.  Premiums are based on your income status and do not go up (unless you report an income status change).

• Like 1
hchoate

Premiums are based on your income status

So for a retired foreigner on pension premiums could be pretty high.

I was very impressed with care we both received at Silliman Medical Center. When my Fiance had to have emergency surgery because of a burst appendix, we only had to pay a deposit for the room and incurred emergency room fees of P20,000. The surgery was completed before they asked for additional fees for hospital charges and drugs which they had already provided. When the deposit only covered about 40% of the incurred fees, they requested additional deposit of P25,000. Phil Health pays a flat fee for an appendectomy of P24,000, so they probably factored that in. The total bill that included 6 nights in the hospital in a very nice private room, was P140,000 minus already paid deposits and Phil Health payments. Up to then I had only paid P45,000, about 32% of total due. The doctor's fees had to be paid in cash to each of the 3 doctors the day of discharge.

Surgeon P25,000

Anesthesiologist P10,000

Gastroenterologist P11,000

The room (P2,500 a night) was as nice as any hotel in Dumaguete and larger than most. There was a large cr, split aircon, extra bed for family member, refrigerator and flat screen tv.

Of the total bill P27,000 was for drugs.

If you subtract the doctors and drug fees from the total the hospital fees including operating room fees was around P57,000, less than P10,000 a day.

This post shows Phil Health paid 17% of total bill for an apparently straight-forward appendictomy.

shadow

Either it ain't real insurance but rather government subsidized medical care 

Bingo!!!

Nangulo

I don't think a 'foreigner' can sign up by himself.  If you're married and on a permanent resident visa, yes.  I have friends on PhilHealth but they're married to Pinay with 13(a) visa.  I'm not on PhilHealth and couldn't find an option for coverage for me in my residential status.

GF and kids run 900 pesos a quarter.  One kid in hospital for two nights with dengue.  Total bill 18,000.  PhilHealth paid 10,000.

hchoate

I don't think a 'foreigner' can sign up by himself.  If you're married and on a permanent resident visa, yes.  I have friends on PhilHealth but they're married to Pinay with 13(a) visa.  I'm not on PhilHealth and couldn't find an option for coverage for me in my residential status.

GF and kids run 900 pesos a quarter.  One kid in hospital for two nights with dengue.  Total bill 18,000.  PhilHealth paid 10,000.

P300 per person per QUARTER sounds a real deal.

Regarding a special case- how's the coverage for dialysis or kidney transplant, anyone know? Seems obvious outpatient meds must not be covered.

Nangulo

It's not per person.  It's dependent on income status.  I signed up the GF, first.  900 per quarter (she has no income).  Then we signed up the (her) kids (3) and there was no extra charge.  They're all covered, now.  Just not me.

Go to PhilHealth website for more info, but, in my experience, they'd rather do Facebook than update their own website.

Edited by Nangulo
  • 3 weeks later...

l am here on tourist visa ACR  card no problem signing in  they want a copy of CERTIFICATION you are not in the blacklist in BI and 3 photo 2x2 an copy of ACR card 1200 peso 

a year and l am not married

Skywalker

they want a copy of CERTIFICATION you are not in the blacklist in BI

Which is the certificate you receive every time you re-new your tourist visa.  So that's an easy one.   :Yay:

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anytime I've had hospital contact they made me sign a few forms clarifying that I did NOT have Philhealth. Which basically meant they had 'special' pricing for me... 

USMC-Retired

It is a good deal and everyone should sign up if married. (I guess you can if single let us know how that works out when you visit hospital). It would have saved me 75K in the two children and hospital visits. That is far more then I would ever paid in premiums. This is such a simple medical subsidy concept and another thing that works and works well.

Brucewayne

I had a problem with cataracts and our daughter was spending a lot of time in the hospital for lung problems due to allergies, so the wife signed up.

We had to wait until three months had elapsed before hospital coverage kicked in and my cataract surgery had to wait until six months had elapsed.

I also had herna surgery and they paid nearly a third of that.

Our monthly is only P200, or P2,400 per year, not bad considering we probably saved somewhere around P100,000.00 in the last 4 years because we did have Philhealth.

Every little help is always appreciated.

You are correct you can get Phil Health for your self dont need to be married also i know a guy who brought his Mom here she is cover under his policy as she over 60, Also there is a way to cover your girl friend and her children also talk to the manager she will know the tricks how to do .You hire your girl friend as your maid  you need something  like a notarized avadavit  and pay her SSS ,Last year i paid 1,200 pesos for 2013 that was a special running and if you paid early u got the deal.Now the rates are a little higher.Also dont belive any thing the nurses tell you talk to Phil Health . My daughter was in the hospital 7 hrs  durrng the day ,as she fell cut her lip needed some stiches ,so as minor surgey was covered ask a million questions and talk to many people. Good luck

Edited by tonny
  • Like 1