Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

the Philippines seems the likeliest place for foreigners to get murdered

udonthani

the road traffic fatality rate in the Philippines is about the world's average, at around 20 killed per 100,000 slightly less than double the figure for the United States. It's about the same as Thailand, which has a car ownership five times that of the Philippines. Malaysia, which has a car ownership rate thirteen times that of the Philippines, has a slightly higher road traffic fatality rate than both of those, at 24 per 100,000 - the highest in SEA.

JamesMusslewhite

Whippy, I am surprised you dare even keep traveling here each year... Stay away chief it is far too dangerous and is conducive to short life.

udonthani

2011 was the worst year for murders of Americans in Mexico. There was an epidemic of them that year, when they rose from around the 30 odd they usually are, to over a hundred. But I checked the stats there, and even in that year the number of fatal RTA's and murders and was about the same (Mexico's road traffic fatality rate is also around 20 per 100,000). There really doesn't seem to be anywhere else other than the Philippines where there are more murders of Americans, than fatal auto accidents. In any year you care to choose, there is always more murders, in the Philippines.

Art

Are you suggesting there is a conspiracy in the Philippines to rid the world of Americans?

JamesMusslewhite

2011 was the worst year for murders of Americans in Mexico. There was an epidemic of them that year, when they rose from around the 30 odd they usually are, to over a hundred. But I checked the stats there, and even in that year the number of fatal RTA's and murders and was about the same (Mexico's road traffic fatality rate is also around 20 per 100,000). There really doesn't seem to be anywhere else other than the Philippines where there are more murders of Americans, than fatal auto accidents. In any year you care to choose, there is always more murders, in the Philippines.

So what about Brits, no citizens from the UK ever get murdered in the Philippines? If so, more or less?

udonthani

I think about one or two a year on average. John Lorne McDonald, from Aberdeen, was a widely reported case back in 2010, because it was an internet dating case where his internet girls' boyfriend stabbed him. But I am sure there have been others since. They caught Mcdonald's murderer, which itself is relatively rare as it seems to me most murderers of foreigners go unpunished. He got 10 years, if memory serves.

JamesMusslewhite

I just stumbled on this interesting site that seems to be a database of foreigners who are murdered in the Philippines.

http://clemonsr2001.tripod.com/murders-in-philippines.html

hyaku

So what about Brits, no citizens from the UK ever get murdered in the Philippines? If so, more or less?

This is one instance where maybe they don't say, "Where do you come from"?

A lot of US Military. R.I.P

Edited by hyaku

JamesMusslewhite

There are over 300 million Americans and 62 million brits so that is 4.8 Americans for every Brit. So if 3 Brits were killed last year in the Philippines then the expat/tourist murdered ratio could equal or exceed those US expat/tourist figures.

There are over 300 million Americans and 23 million Ozzies so that is 13 Americans for every Ozzie so 1-2 murders could well exceed those US expat/tourist figures.

Could it in fact be far more dangerous for Brits and Ozzies in the Philippines than it is for Americans? It seems I read recently that there are more murders of Brits and Ozies in Thailand then Americans, but that could just be conjecture.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

no one

i hate to say that 

but i doubt that before a foreigner gets killed they first make sure he is from usa or some place else and than act upon that

like i did say many times many people here get killed by there wife's, gf, or there family 

and couse lot of times they will go unpunished this trend is not to stop any time soon 

what about other countries how is the wife killer seen or dealt with there ????

there is lot to take in consideration not just few # 

also how many years did you go back on it 

you need to take a look at least 10 years 

• Like 2

udonthani

Could it in fact be far more dangerous for Brits and Ozzies in the Philippines than it is for Americans? It seems I read recently that there are more murders of Brits and Ozies in Thailand then Americans, but that could just be conjecture.

I would very much doubt that. I would have thought that Americans are likely to be the number 1 in both Philippines and Thailand. Just because there are more of them. Not because they are Americans.

I think Koreans may get murdered more even than Americans. Only those cases we don't hear about as often.

overall though I was surprised at how many more murders as a proportion of non natural deaths there are in the Philippines, than Thailand. Though I thought that there would be more in the Philippines, I didn't think that there'd be that much more. But that State Department site speaks for itself. On every Philippines page of about 25 non natural deaths, 7-10 are homicides. On the Thailand pages, it is only 1 or 2.

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite

I would very much doubt that. I would have thought that Americans are likely to be the number 1 in both Philippines and Thailand. Just because there are more of them. Not because they are Americans.

I think Koreans may get murdered more even than Americans. Only those cases we don't hear about as often.

overall though I was surprised at how many more murders as a proportion of non natural deaths there are in the Philippines, than Thailand. Though I thought that there would be more in the Philippines, I didn't think that there'd be that much more. But that State Department site speaks for itself. On every Philippines page of about 25 non natural deaths, 7-10 are homicides. On the Thailand pages, it is only 1 or 2.

What amazed me was the number of Germans and Scandinavians that are killed in the Philippines.

http://clemonsr2001.tripod.com/murders-in-philippines.html

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

udonthani

oh jeez that site is right mess compared to the orderly State Department one. And with some garbage written on the side. "on 24 Jun 2006, President Gloria Arroyo signed legislation abolishing the death penalty there.  Since then it clearly appears the murder of foreigners is rising." The author doesn't bother to make any statistical effort to back this claim up of course. Also perhaps the author had better inform us just precisely who was ever executed in the Philippines for murdering a foreigner before the death penalty was abolished.

• Like 1

ThomsonJr

I find it quite ridiculous that you guys are talking about nationalities rather than "Western foreigners" in general, which would make more sense while comparing the Philippines murder rate with Thailand for example because most Kanos (uhum, white foreigners in general) go to the Philippines for the same reasons.

I know many people who tried the Philippines after Thailand and many of them returned because they find that Filipinos seem to be more vicious than Thais, which might be true, but it's the Thais and their buddhism beliefs and fake smiles which make them believe that.

I wonder how many of those murders are love related (if you can call it like that), probably most of them.

• Like 1

udonthani

it really does appear, from that State Department website, that Americans in the Phlippines might be getting murdered, four or five times more often than they are in Thailand. I thought it might be only double, at the max because of course I have no illusions at all about the underlying violence of Thailand. It just seems, that the underlying violence in the Philippines, is much more even than Thailand, and which results in common aggression and the consequent higher murder rate.

Edited by udonthani