Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

the Philippines seems the likeliest place for foreigners to get murdered

smokey

12 American homicides per year with 300,000 Americans in the Philippines translates to a homicide rate of 4 per 100,000. The Wikipedia worldwide rate is 6.9, the Philipines is 5.4, Thailand is 4.8, and the US is 4.8 per 100,000 people.

So, if these numbers are close to accurate it is safer for an American to be in the Philippines than in the US(4.0 vs 5.4). Interesting also, it is safer for an American to be in the Philippines than in the US(4.0 vs 4.8).

The US gets screwed with worldwide statistics because of the influence of one large ethnic group that absolutely destroys all the numbers in America. If this unnamed group was left out of the equation the US stats would be much closer to Australia and Europe. Things like homicide rates, test scores, literacy rates and so on are all thrown way off. The homicide rates in New Orleans and Detroit are around 50 per 100,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

what ??????????????? ok how many people from the philippines are killed in the usa compared to killed in the philippines wow safer to live in the usa if your from the philippines
  • Like 1

Alan S

From those stats it looks like one North American a year is murdered. 

And he is getting fed-up with it.

• Like 4

mikewright

Good link OP, thanks for posting.

Interesting that there were many more non-natural deaths in Angeles City over the 10 year period (17) than in any other place, including Manila. And that Davao City only had 1.

Is there something intrinsically dangerous about Angeles City?

Headshot

Is there something intrinsically dangerous about Angeles City?

Duh...

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Guy60417

About these stats:

... We don't know how many Americans (or other expats) are here, because people are here on several different visa types

... Because of the screwed-up police/justice system, I wouldn't trust them as to classifying a given death as a homicide or other

... I doubt the Philippine government is capable of keeping accurate statistics on anything

My impression is that it's more dangerous here for a Kano than in many places, less so than a few others (some Middle East, Latin America countries), but I really don't think there are reliable statistics that can tell us that with certainty.

Edited by Guy60417
  • Like 2

Art

I think personality and the kind of activities the deceased were engaged in could also be factors that contribute to their deaths.  These are important to know to dispel the idea that homicides are random attacks on innocent tourists.   And how many wives are implicated in their husbands deaths it would be good if there were figures on that?  

• Like 1

udonthani

there cannot be hardly any other places in the world, apart from the Philippines, where more Americans are murdered, than die in auto accidents.

in the USA, 12,000 people were murdered last year. But more than double that number died in auto accidents. And that is when just about everyone would agree that road safety in the USA is at a much higher level, than the Philippines.

goldote

I think personality and the kind of activities the deceased were engaged in could also be factors that contribute to their deaths.  These are important to know to dispel the idea that homicides are random attacks on innocent tourists.   And how many wives are implicated in their husbands deaths it would be good if there were figures on that?  

A behavioral formula for murder.  Assign values for each activity.  

Bitch, insult, cheat, fight, gamble, drink, marry wrong, break laws and being worth more dead equals homicide. 

udonthani

above all this I also think that more people are murdered in the Philippines, than even the incredibly high official figures say.

there are always more kanos - many elderly and in the last years of their lives - tucked up in the sticks than you think. That have no, or almost no contact with any other foreigner. Who might be sick and in need of relatively expensive medication. Expensive medication, which might be withdrawn. Which would, of course, be classed as a straight up murder, in the USA.

I also suspect, that there may be quite a number of kanos, that as far as the State Department knows, are still alive when in fact they have been dead for years.

• Like 1

ThomsonJr

Does this even surprise anyone? it can cost only a few hundred dollars to get someone killed in the Philippines

Edited by ThomsonJr

Skywalker

I also suspect, that there may be quite a number of kanos, that as far as the State Department knows, are still alive when in fact they have been dead for years.

That is undoubtedly true, I've seen a few in Silver Dollar Bar.

• Like 5

hyaku

but you are missing the point that it is not about relative safety of Americans in the USA and Americans in the Philippines. And it is nothing to do with overall crime, but only one crime in particular - murder.

the comparison is nothing to do with the USA itself. it is between how many Americans get murdered in the Philippines, a foreign country, compared to other foreign countries like Thailand.

and there does not seem to be much doubt, according to the State Department site (although it would take dozens of hours to do the figures properly and comprehensively right through from 2001 to 2011) that more Americans have been getting murdered in the Philippines, compared to accidents, suicide and other non-natural causes of death, than just about any other foreign country.

What I meant was if you want to up the percentage on chances of death, America is a better bet. Yes the figures I had are old. But as mentioned by the person that had posted them, now the figures are undoubtedly higher.

Edited by hyaku

udonthani

the most telling comparison is the one between number of murders, and the number of fatal victims in all auto accidents.

in the USA, even though everyone would agree that the roads and traffic conditions in general are much safer than the Philippines, the number of victims of auto accidents is DOUBLE the number of murder victims.

but the Philippines - judging from a quick once over of the stats of a few other foreign countries - appears to be the only place where the number of murder victims comfortably outnumbers the amount of victims of auto accidents, even though everyone would agree that the roads and traffic conditions in the Philippines are much less safe than the USA.

rainymike

If you are concerned about murder, worry less about which country you're in. Worry more about your lifestyle and who you hang with. Those are probably the more relevant things as far as murder is concerned. 

I'd only be concerned about the country if I was going to someplace like Yemen, Afghanistan or Nigeria.

To understand traffic deaths, think about the mileage and time that one spends on the road as being important as national driving habits.

• Like 1

Skywalker

but the Philippines - judging from a quick once over of the stats of a few other foreign countries - appears to be the only place where the number of murder victims comfortably outnumbers the amount of victims of auto accidents, even though everyone would agree that the roads and traffic conditions in the Philippines are much less safe than the USA.

Interesting conclusion.  I have only recently started driving (an SUV) in Cebu, and the thing I noticed more than the blatant bad driving, was that they don't go particularly fast - which might go some way to explaining why there are less fatalities.