Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

the Philippines seems the likeliest place for foreigners to get murdered

udonthani

well for Americans at least.
http://www.travel.st....html?country=0

that is an excellently presented site but as it says on the main page they actually admit, very candidly and commendably, that the information may not be all that accurate.

however it was still worth doing a number crunch.

so here are the percentages of homicides of the total number of 'non
natural' deaths of Americans in some selected countries, between 2002-12 :

Philippines 11 out of 28 : 39%
Malaysia 2 out of 14 : 14%
Thailand 1 out of 25 : 4%
Vietnam 1 out of 25 : 4%
Indonesia 0
Cambodia 0
Laos 0 (but Laos seems to have a high proportion of 'drug related' cases)

some other random countries

Mexico 7 out of 21 : 33%
Russia 3 out of 26 : 12%
Korea 2 put of 24 : 8%
Brazil 1 out of 25 : 4%
Japan 0
UK 0
France 0
Germany 0

miles-high

Well, I would add the "Mainland USA" on the list, just to compare the homicide rate... ;)

• Like 2

Guy60417

What is the source? Clicking the link just refreshes this page. 

(Based on the part that I can read, I would guess that it might be something from the US State Department).

hchoate

Well, I would add the "Mainland USA" on the list, just to compare the homicide rate... ;)

Specifically Washington DC and Chicago.

Domain

10 deaths out of 300,000 Americans that live in the Philippines, let alone the 600,000 Americans that visit each year seems low. I wonder how this data looks when you consider the total concentration of Americans per country.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2794.htm

http://www.travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.htm

Headed that way

Whippy, if you are still alive after screwing over half of the provincial girls as you've claimed then the Philippines is pretty safe.

• Like 6

Art

From those stats it looks like one North American a year is murdered.  Thats not bad.

Last year, 2012, one Australian died every 5 days in the Philippines (68 deaths) and statistically 45% of 904 deaths of Australians overseas are unknown deaths meaning the deaths are still being investigated. 

25% from illness,

22% from natural causes

7% from accidents. 

45% unknown

So statistically last year

4.71  Australians died from accidents in the Philippines and

17 died from illnesses.  

15 died of natural causes.  

30 unknown causes.  Still being investigated.

These figures are not accurate they are statistics.

So statistically the chances of being killed in an accident in the Philippines is low compared to natural causes and illness.

2012 Australian overseas deaths - top 10
Rank - Country - Total deaths
1 Thailand 111
2 Philippines 68
3 Greece 60
4 Vietnam 54
5 US 51
6 Indonesia 48
7 Germany 41
8 Hong Kong 40
9 China 38
10 UK 28
*Source: DFAT

Edited by Art
  • Like 1

udonthani

I've just realised that there are many more pages than I thought there were. I was only looking at the first page of each country.

look at this page http://www.travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.html?country=151&yr=0&yr2=0&mth=0&mth2=0&start=150

18 - yes, 18 of the 25 deaths of Americans between 2004, and 2006 of 'non-natural' causes were homicides. That is an incredible 72%. Much much more likely to be a homicide victim than a victim of an auto accident.

udonthani

So statistically the chances of being killed in an accident in the Philippines is low compared to natural causes and illness.

that should not be a surprise to anybody. What is good about the State Department site is that it lists the 'non natural' cases seperately so you can see how homicide compares to stuff like drownings and drug related cases and especially auto accidents which I would have thought would be easily the leading 'non natural' cause of death. But as I have shown, on some pages there are actually more 'non natural' deaths as a result of homicide, than there is as a result of auto accidents. Which, even though I always supposed the murder rate of foreigners in the Philippines as being high, surprises me.

KID

From those stats it looks like one North American a year is murdered. Thats not bad.

We ALL know that can not be right---just the ones we know about on LINC adds up to more than that

• Like 2

Contango

There are simply more older Americans in the Philippines and Mexico than there are in other country's and older people are more likely to die than younger people...look at the Australian figures with Greece at #3 that's older Australian's of Greek heritage going home to die/retire, there was a big wave of Greek immigration to Aust in the 1950's and those people are now in their 70's and 80's

Edited by Contango

udonthani

There are simply more older Americans in the Philippines and Mexico than there are in other country's and older people are more likely to die than younger people...look at the Australian figures with Greece at #3 that's older Australian's of Greek heritage going home to die/retire, there was a big wave of Greek immigration to Aust in the 1950's and those people are now in their 70's and 80's

that is all true, but none of that should effect the homicide rate which the State Department site definitely does indicate as being higher in the Philippines, at least for Americans, than it is anywhere else.

however to go through all the pages for each country, and do the figures entirely between 2001 and 2011, would take a lot of time.

I was surprised by the low figure for homicides of Americans in Thailand. In about the same time frame as it took for 11 Americans to get murdered in the Philippines, only 1 in Thailand was.

hyaku

This thread came up a long time ago. At that time someone posted a crime in the USA table. Still have it in the comp but can't post it. Figures for major USA cities made Cebu and Manila look mild in comparison.

udonthani

but you are missing the point that it is not about relative safety of Americans in the USA and Americans in the Philippines. And it is nothing to do with overall crime, but only one crime in particular - murder.

the comparison is nothing to do with the USA itself. it is between how many Americans get murdered in the Philippines, a foreign country, compared to other foreign countries like Thailand.

and there does not seem to be much doubt, according to that State Department site (although it would take dozens of hours to do the figures properly and comprehensively right through from 2001 to 2011) that more Americans have been getting murdered in the Philippines, compared to accidents, suicide and other non-natural causes of death, than just about any other foreign country.