can i use the va in philippines?

smokey

Actually only certain Drs can write scripts for the fun meds.  And Oxys are like p750 each.  You wouldn't get any trying to live on $1230/mo.

dam 750 each ... i once had a doctor ask me if they could have my extra serqual i was getting double orders from the va and flushed about 500 of them in the cr bet my septic was bug crazy

as soon as he meets a GF he will be broke beyond broke anyway .. problem is he will not have enough to go back if he wants ..

ed villas

well when lots of the people have no electric or running water dental care is not at the top of the list

yes thats so true its not a priority yet drinking and breeding seems to be a #1 on the list,.

back to topic.

as other posts said

MUST BE SERVICE related disability, controlled substances are RARELY DISPENSE here,

on 1200$ a month yes you can survive but w/med costs and others ,

think hard and deep if this is what you want.  

and then the gf factor w/the parasites asking for your hard earn money.

i strongly suggest you DEEPLY READ all the past posts about the "family and gfs here" 

use the forum to make a WISE AND INFORMED decision before you even purchase that ticket .

Edited by ed villas
Jester

As you've read you have to have something service connected to get in the door.  Once in the door they may or may not treat other things.  Also, even without your medical needs I would strongly caution against someone coming here on a $1230/mo budget.  I would find such a budget very difficult to live on though there are some that do on less.  But it's a very meager existence.

My wifes entire family lives on way less than $1230 month!  Whiner

SkyMan

My wifes entire family lives on way less than $1230 month!  Whiner

Quite likely.  But do they pay an average of p2K/mo for visa extensions?  Do they buy expensive pain meds?  And do they live like an American would expect?  Even a poor American?

• Like 1
mpt1947

Here are some phone numbers that anyone might find useful:

Phone Number for VA 
02-550-3888

Phone Number for VA Certified VSO
02-550-3885

Call the VA Number and ask if they will re-fill non service connected Meds

You said you were in the military for 4 years?  If that is correct are you an Iraqi or Afghan Vet?  If yes, it is my understanding that the VA will provide Free Care for five years whether you are Service Connected or not - I am not sure if that extends to Manila or not

If you are not Retired or 100% Disabled, you cannot take advantage of the FPO Address provided by (Not Free) RAO

Regarding Guam - The VA has a Clinic there - there is no VA Hospital.  There is a Naval Hospital, but first comes Active Duty and their families, then Military Retirees, Disabled Vets, non Disabled Vets.  
Medical available in Hawaii are Clinic - there are two Military Hospitals in Hawaii, but see above for who gets served first.

Closed VA Medical Center would be California
mpt1947

On another Topic in this forum, Tim Posted a lot of very good information - as a Non Service Connected Vet you may be eligible for one or more of these services 

Foreign Medical Program (FMP) at 877- 345-8179 or go to the FMP website at:

care for non VA emergency care visit:

(Note: I tried the FMP link and found it not available but did find this on the VA website : Hope it helps...

Medical Benefits for Veterans Overseas 
Answer ID 1164   |    Published 10/28/2009 07:02 AM   |    Updated 11/17/2009 03:50 PM
Medical Benefits for Veterans Overseas

In certain circumstances, Veterans may receive medical care at VA expense when they're living or traveling abroad.

service-connected (SC) disability
OR
  •  
  •  
  • Any disability that is making an SC condition worse
    OR
  •  
  •  
  • Any disability of a Veteran who is participating in VA's vocational rehabilitation program

VA may provide this service for an SC disability of a Veteran who is not a citizen of the U.S. only if the Veteran is in—

•  
  • The Republic of the Philippines
    OR
  •  
  •  
  • Canada

VA Form 10-7959f-1, "Foreign Medical Program Registration Form."

Send the form to:

The Health Administration Center

P.O. Box 469061

Denver, CO 80246-9061

You can also get a form by calling 303-331-7590. This is not a toll-free number.

FMP will verify your information and then send you a letter that—

•  
  • Authorizes this benefit for you
    AND
  •  
  •  
  • Outlines the medical conditions for which you're covered

http://www.tricare.m...ma/default.aspx for more information. Once there, click the map of the U.S. to find an office in your area.

For information on overseas facilities, visit http://www.tricare.m...s/RegionsNonUS# .

Edited by tim, Today, 03:53 AM.

•  
smokey

yes your step children can go to school under the va if you have champva the school has to be approved ... san carlos.. uc are i should know i did all the leg work

Bill H

As you've noticed when you read this thread, the answers are all over the place.  Why?  Well there are VA regs and then there is the reality of what the VA does.  If they go by the book forget it, you will get nothing.  If you can manage to get through the door, and if the doctor is in a good mood and if he likes you at least a little bit, he might treat you for something that is not service connects.  The key here is getting through the door in the first place and that would be very, very difficult if you are non-service connected.  Just the way it is and why it's more fun in the Philippines.

As to having the VA stateside mail your meds here.  Won't work.  First you would have to change your address of record to your PH addy.  However, once you do that, you are no longer under the care of the VA in wherever you came from, you are now under the care of the VA in Manila.  But wait, there's more.  The VA in Manila will not see you if you are not service connected!  Is there an echo in the room?  I think there is also a problem mailing prescription medications here and getting them through customs.  (Always a problem here getting anything through customs.)  So you are facing a double whammy if you try to get meds mailed from the states.  One thing you might try is to have the meds mailed to your stateside addy then have someone there re-mail them to you here.  Very expensive to do that and see the areas under Customs.

In your case, flying to Guam might be your only viable option.  Sad but true.

Living here on $1,200ish a month can be done, but you can put your cock in a meat grinder and grind it up too.  The real question is would you really want to do that?  I think not.

Just remember, it's always more fun in the Philippines!