Sign in to follow this  
pittsburghguy

can i use the va in philippines?

pittsburghguy

hey does anybody know if i can use the va in the philippines this is my situation. i am an vet was in airforce 4 years so i do use the va in usa. i am disabled but it is not service related i had my neck fused and have degenertive disks so i have to take pain pills for pain management i would like to move to philippines preferbly cebu but i do need my pain pills and other meds my income will be limited to 1230 an mounth but i will not be able to afford my meds other then going threw the va or medicade with that type of income also i have read that phil. doctors do not prescribe pain pills in phil. and meds are expensive could anyone let meknow if i could go to va in phil. for my heath care

JamesMusslewhite

Sorry the VA facility in Manila only covers Service-connected conditions, and does not allow walk-ins. This is the only VA facility outside the US to do so. The closest VA facility for non-service connected conditions is in Guam I believe.

• Like 1

KadoKaru

I am a vet and have been to the Manila VA. many times and from my experience the VA.in Manila only accepts or treats service connected Vets.And even then it's different in Manila if you have a sevice connected disability then if you have the same disability using a VA,Facility in the States.It will be very difficult if even possible to find pain medications like you need in the Philippines.If you were service connected for your disability,the VA. in Manila would have some of the same pain medications as stateside VA.'s.In the Phil it's not unusual for a filippino to sit through a root canal or tooth extraction even without novocaine and definitely they don't leave the dentist's office with pain meds.About the best available at the pharmacies will be "Gardan".

Edited by KadoKaru

Edwin

Mike (mpt1952) posted once that non-service connected VA patients could get there meds at the Manila VA clinic. Maybe he can explain how that works.

• Like 1

SkyMan

As you've read you have to have something service connected to get in the door.  Once in the door they may or may not treat other things.  Also, even without your medical needs I would strongly caution against someone coming here on a $1230/mo budget.  I would find such a budget very difficult to live on though there are some that do on less.  But it's a very meager existence.

• Like 3

smokey

As you've read you have to have something service connected to get in the door.  Once in the door they may or may not treat other things.  Also, even without your medical needs I would strongly caution against someone coming here on a $1230/mo budget.  I would find such a budget very difficult to live on though there are some that do on less.  But it's a very meager existence.

it becomes very meager when you meet and get a GF

Mike (mpt1952) posted once that non-service connected VA patients could get there meds at the Manila VA clinic. Maybe he can explain how that works.

i received my meds by air 21 and it would be 3 months at a time he would have to set it up in the us and have them mailed to the RAO
  • Like 2

SirMadrigal

.In the Phil it's not unusual for a filippino to sit through a root canal or tooth extraction even without novocaine

So much for Medical Tourism in The Philippines, no Novocaine? F'dat!

smokey

So much for Medical Tourism in The Philippines, no Novocaine? F'dat!

well when lots of the people have no electric or running water dental care is not at the top of the list
  • Like 1

afmayer

You need to be either service connected or a regular patient at some VA facility to get in the door... Once in, you can be treated for any non-service connected malady that they have the ability to treat. I have been x-rayed, received regular medications, eyes examined/glasses, dermatology treatment, ear infection, etc... (all non-service connected).

Edit... forgot to mention. Contrary to what another person posted... they would prescribe me the strongest painkiller (OxyContin) for pain (also non service-connected). Most VA facilities in the states will not prescribe such a strong painkiller as easily as it was prescribed in the Manila clinic...

Edited by afmayer

saigon46

I was wondering if it's possible to receive medicare treatment while in Guam?

• Like 1

Irenicus

You need to be either service connected or a regular patient at some VA facility to get in the door...

What they told me is that you basically have to be active in their system.  My PCP is out of the local Boston VA, so they said I will be able to utilize Manila and get my meds from there as well.  We'll have to see if that pans out.

I am not active service and do not have a service connected disability.  

smokey

hey does anybody know if i can use the va in the philippines this is my situation. i am an vet was in airforce 4 years so i do use the va in usa. i am disabled but it is not service related i had my neck fused and have degenertive disks so i have to take pain pills for pain management i would like to move to philippines preferbly cebu but i do need my pain pills and other meds my income will be limited to 1230 an mounth but i will not be able to afford my meds other then going threw the va or medicade with that type of income also i have read that phil. doctors do not prescribe pain pills in phil. and meds are expensive could anyone let meknow if i could go to va in phil. for my heath care

well just ask the va if they will mail them to you and for how long before you need to see a doctor for a refil of the script

Cebudog

I called the VA in Manila before moving here.  They told me that even though I was in the system, as I was using the VA in the states, that since I was not service connected they could not treat me.  Regular doctor visits here are cheap, around 10 dollars, and medicine can be found cheap if you use generics.  Pain meds, I don't know about.

smokey

I called the VA in Manila before moving here.  They told me that even though I was in the system, as I was using the VA in the states, that since I was not service connected they could not treat me.  Regular doctor visits here are cheap, around 10 dollars, and medicine can be found cheap if you use generics.  Pain meds, I don't know about.

he can BYOM i think they have everything here also just need a doctor to write it ... and they are easy to find

SkyMan

he can BYOM i think they have everything here also just need a doctor to write it ... and they are easy to find

Actually only certain Drs can write scripts for the fun meds.  And Oxys are like p750 each.  You wouldn't get any trying to live on $1230/mo.