stevewool

well you have the cash but you dont have the land, lots of web sites to look at but you cant beat the real thing like being there,

Now where do you start, Panglao or Bohol, i think its what you can afford and if its what you want,

Wea are looking at trying to get over late this year or early next year, has anyone got contacts or now of any land that ids for sale

hchoate

I wouldn't try without being there. I'd rent and send a Filipino relative or two cruising around the area of interest inquiring at sari saris and keep an eye on the local newspapers.

You are not going to have a clue about anything really until you have lived there for a while- personally I'd give it a year or two.

• Like 6
redman69

I would agree. You have no idea how corrupt things are there. What is clear title? they can not tell you. Some politician knows a road is coming and your deed is not recorded any more.

My x brother in law in 1991 told me there was divorce in RP, He is a judge. the marriage lic and even down at the church the records disappear. So no proof of marriage you are not married.

So be aware all things work like that.  look for something out of the eye site of many. Put in wife name and expect to loose it. When living there play games with all. Know money in bank. Waiting for SSN or whatever pension check to clear. then you live. Why kill the goose who lays golden egg every month.  Yes you can buy a condo in Manila, live outside the normal world

hchoate

When living there play games with all

Curious what that means ...

philuk

they are all making sense, (mostly )

by all means cruse the internet, it is a wealth of info on prices for the land, but sometimes it is cheaper than some realters advertise,

I also found Google earth was great for locating subdivisions, Plan a route for when you get there and go look around, see what the area is really like,

Last time we went, the family had been keeping there eye out for lots so we spent a week trolling the area, Finally we drove up to Pulu Amsic. Loved the sub div before we even got through the gate

spent a day looking around the place and eventually found the perfect lot, on a corner away from the main access road, power pole is on the opposite corner, correct orientation.

What you are doing is looking for a place where you can retire to and end your days, look long and hard, make the right choice,

• Like 3
redman69

Curious what that means ...

it means I have been told by many total strangers all over the Philippines. that if it is well known you have 200,000 peso in your house. there is a good chance you will be robbed and killed. I am not sure if you are aware of all the kidnapping done there. look it up on the US embassy web page. then get back to us.

Sure there are good and bad everywhere. I think they just kicked Fed Ex out. smart thing for someone. they kicked the US navy out. And the Chinese sailed into the spratlys. Sure that was smart for some in Subic. It is and has been a mess for some time there. No one has property rights. Look at President Noy Noy trying to establish them. Google it and see what he has to say about changing things. Since you are not aware of these facts I am letting you know where to find them.  

I married a Pinoy, My kids are half Pinoy, My pinoy wife divorced me. and lives here in the states. She left me with the kids. Which is another custom there. Leave the kids and go out to make money to send home. There are studies on that from the Romainian orphans. lots of Borderline Personality disorders, And many in schools there will tell you that 1/2 the country is Bi=polar. 

I have been told by many people from Western civilizations there not to let people know what you have. It is something I have been told for 20 years by Pinoys and many others. thought I would share that with a new comer who thinks buying in RP is like a Western Country. But good luck with it all.

Davaoeno

it means I have been told by many total strangers all over the Philippines. that if it is well known you have 200,000 peso in your house. there is a good chance you will be robbed and killed. I am not sure if you are aware of all the kidnapping done there. look it up on the US embassy web page. then get back to us.

Sure there are good and bad everywhere. I think they just kicked Fed Ex out. smart thing for someone. they kicked the US navy out. And the Chinese sailed into the spratlys. Sure that was smart for some in Subic. It is and has been a mess for some time there. No one has property rights. Look at President Noy Noy trying to establish them. Google it and see what he has to say about changing things. Since you are not aware of these facts I am letting you know where to find them.  

I married a Pinoy, My kids are half Pinoy, My pinoy wife divorced me. and lives here in the states. She left me with the kids. Which is another custom there. Leave the kids and go out to make money to send home. There are studies on that from the Romainian orphans. lots of Borderline Personality disorders, And many in schools there will tell you that 1/2 the country is Bi=polar. 

I have been told by many people from Western civilizations there not to let people know what you have. It is something I have been told for 20 years by Pinoys and many others. thought I would share that with a new comer who thinks buying in RP is like a Western Country. But good luck with it all.

I have no comment about the author of this post.  However I would strongly urge anyone who is seriously interested in moving to the Philippines to totally ignore everything that redman99 wrote and write it off as a very every bad case of sour grapes- as well as full of totally untrue things disguised as " facts" !!   " Many in schools there will tell you that 1/2 the country is Bi=polar"  What an incredibly moronic thing to say .  That would mean that 1 out of every 2 filipinos is bi-polar !!  What utter nonsense !

It is well known that If you have 200K in your house you will be robbed and killed !   another totally ignorant comment 

No one has property rights"    -  just more ignorance. 

• Like 2
smokey

I wouldn't try without being there. I'd rent and send a Filipino relative or two cruising around the area of interest inquiring at sari saris and keep an eye on the local newspapers.

You are not going to have a clue about anything really until you have lived there for a while- personally I'd give it a year or two.

well dont be surprised if the relative get a kick back
  • Like 3
Headshot

You need to know that you will only see a fraction of the property for sale by cruising the Internet. Even then, the properties there tend to be at the high end of the scale. The simple truth is that if you want a deal on real estate, you need to find somebody who really NEEDS to sell their property. If there isn't an urgency on their part, you will never get what you consider to be a reasonable price. Usually that means somebody who has major drama going on in their life (serious illness in the family, a pending visa in another country, whatever).

In my case, we found a nice house with a large lot in Mandaue that was originally listed (that is a very vague term here) for 5 million pesos. Then they said they would accept 4.2 million pesos. Why? The husband and wife had been granted work visas in Canada and the time period (six months) on the visas was running out. We went and looked at the property, and I offered them 3.8 million pesos...final offer. They accepted. They got what they needed to clear their debts and fly to Canada, and we got a house and property for a reasonable price. That is basically the only way you will significantly reduce the asking price here. If there is no emergency, there will be no drop in price.

As for a real estate bubble, I remember a lot of people saying there would be a bubble four years ago...and there is still no bubble (but prices have gone up). You have to know how the real estate market works here to understand why. Houses here are almost always sold for cash. Yes, there are liens (for loans) put on properties, but seldom at the time of purchase.

On the other hand, condos and townhomes are often financed, but they are most often financed by the development company. The buyer pays a sizeable down payment, and then if they miss one payment, the company forecloses and resells the unit at the same (or higher) price. That way, the development company sells the property more than once and reaps more profit. Since construction companies use the cheapest methods and materials available, they can quickly recoup their original investment. Because they maintain their prices, they are guaranteed a profit and the buyer will not find discounted prices due to foreclosures. 

Only if developers build before they have sold enough units to pay for construction costs will you ever see a bubble in condos and townhomes. That isn't likely because their normal policy is to NOT start construction until after enough units have been sold to pay for the projects. That is why you see booths set up everywhere "preselling" condos and townhomes (where development hasn't even started) with in-house financing available. Don't let projects "on the books" fool you. There is no real schedule for those projects to be built. They will be built when they are paid for. Therefore...no bubble.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

Most of the property near where I live is for sale.  They are all waiting for their 'Golden Goose' to arrive from overseas and buy their property.  If you were fresh off the plane and looked around you would see that everything is for sale at 1500 a square meter and up.  You would think that must be a fair price because everyone is asking that.

After being here a while and people start knowing that you are wise, then they will finally admit that there are many nice pieces of land for 600 a meter (or even 300 a meter but that is the hard to sell stuff).  Because there are so many who show up, marry, and buy so quickly then this practice is unlikely to ever change.  And the so-called 'real estate' agent in town has even higher priced stuff.

Truth?  No amount of forum advice will get you a lower priced property.  You have to get here and get smart and get to know who really needs to sell.  When someone really needs to/wants to sell you better have cash on hand as that is the property that will sell fast.

• Like 3
Contango

has anyone got contacts or now of any land that ids for sale

~

All the Banks have regular auctions of foreclosed property's, if nothing else these auctions can be a great guide to price etc so i include a link in this post as an educational tool for anyone looking and thinking from a far with only the internet as a research tool.

ForeclosurePhilippines is a blog site run by a Manila based real estate agent and property investor, i have found it to be a genuine and honest little blog full of quality local real estate info...the site posts links to ALL the upcoming foreclosed property auctions...

Just remembered that i don't think im allowed to post a link like this?

Ok so just google ForeclosurePhilippines

Edited by Contango
  • Like 1
stevewool

lots of great advice again from many , some not so great too, 200k in your house, i dont have a fiver in my wallet, but hay, we live and learn dont we,

hyaku

As I already mentioned here or on another post. Clear titles are not transferable. It's a ten or five year wait after title is processed depends if it's DAR or DNR My wife is selling a house. The tenant wants a mortgage but needs a titled property. It costs 14 thou to title. If the house is clear on ownership and taxes title it after you buy if you have no plans to resell.

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Get over, rent a cheap house, get yourself some transport and go out exploring. Best advice I can give is take your time, don't jump at the first thing and when you finally find something you like do the legwork to check it out. Ask the barangay, get a good lawyer (there are some in the Philippines) and do a complete survey and check. Of course you will meet expats who will knock your efforts. Take no notice they are the ones who probably didn't do due diligence.

redman69

I have a neice who is studying phyicology at Cebu normal University. She seems to being taught that sending kids around to all the different family members is causing many problems in RP. And the Romaining orphans have had many studies done on not being able to bond in latter life.

Go to the Austrialian web site and you will find the warnings I posted about currently being issued. And have been issued for years by the US Embassy. I do know they are all fools and do that at the request of the Pinoy government to encourage tourism

President Noy Noy went to a conference on land ownership raising people out of poverty. My nephew flew him there. Many books have been wrote on how not owning causes squatter neiborhoods. I having been to smokey mountain in Manila and many squatter neiborhoods in Cebu, Butuan, Manila, I Can tell you it is a problem there. I have walked the streets of Manila late at night and know there is an estimated 2 million people living in the street. Also probally another 2 million who are sqauters. the old railroad tracks coming down from north Manila is full of sqauters who I can assure you do not own the land the shack is on. Yet I concede they have electric with meters, and water lines. but they house can be torn down on a whim. My future mother in laws husband built a house in the future road, 15 years ago south of Carcar, in Boliwan, they are about 1 year short of getting to her house. It will come down. I have been to the house many times.

I hope sane people can understand that I travel all over the Philippines. I have married a pina, will marry another pina, And will help my nieces and nephews from both marriages and contribute to My first Lola's funeral.

I live in DC, I was born in DC. in my youth after dark it was not safe to walk 10 blocks from the US Capital in NE or SE. The police would say what did you think would happen. I lived 12 blocks into NW DC and quit locking my car so the window would not get broke. Covered my windows so no one could see my tv. because they police would tell me what did you think was going to happen when people could see the tv in the window. This is in the 1970's in the Capital of the United States. I could mention that the same attitude has prevailed in Detroit for 50 years and people Moved away.

there is no sour grapes. I will not give up my US passport. I just moved to Alexandria Virgina to get away from that attitude.

So, We were the number one place in the world to be in the 70's yet it was not safe 10 blocks away from the US capital. I have not heard of the Philippines being in the top 100 in my life.

My country has a problem with obesitie, I had lap band surgery because of diabittes. Our first lady spends all her time on this. she says 75% of the country has weight problems. I only said 50% of pinoys have bi polar issues. As said I have family at Cebu normal university. who I have helped with tution. Who said it is being study as an underlaying issue just as the President has look at property rights as an undlaying issue with poverty.

Anyone who has left Makati has seen the poverty in RP. Denial in not a river in, hahaha I would love to hear others opinons on the Embassys warnings, the poverty issue and how to resovle it. And all the babies born to many different men and the effect that has on society and the family. We are discussing that in the rest of the world. And trying to come up with constructive answers. I do know many in my country take the approach, ignorance is bliss. I prefer to try and understand. and share my idea's