Sailing Ship Construction - gen San and Davao

spritsail

last year I posted a thread on largest sailing ship being constructed in the Philippines, so this post is an update on the construction.

The Nativa 2 is being built for the Remote Island Ministeries. keel was laid in Gensan and the fitting out is in Davao. The plans were drawn up by Glen Knight and naval architects  at the SAFI shipyard in Gen San.  The nativa 1 is on the market for sale and at 95000 usd would be a good charter/liveaboard vessel.

My own inivolvement in this project has been marginal owing to health reasons although I am drawing up some of the rigging - standing and running rigging based upon Indonesian phinisi and old Hull sailing trawlers circa 1890 from the book by Edgar . J. March  - Sailing Trawlers, the definitive treatise on old sailing trawler designs and sailing plans.

As for my own phinisi which was damaged during the pablo typhoon whilst in the drydock basin in Jasaan, I have just finished restepping the masts, into new mast supports, refashioned the stern layout to have a false counter stern, new railings and wheelhouse roof. Not all was due to pablo but long overdue maintenance. - Wood does last forever basis.

Newsletter_Philippines_August__September_2103.pdf

post-7590-0-65536000-1374872009_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
Knowdafish

Is there enough wind year round in the Philippines to count on it to get from point A to point B? Here on the southern part of Negros there only seems to be wind, allbeit slight, only certain times of the year unless a storm is blowing through. 

I've done quite a bit of sailing and it is a pain, to put it mildly, to have to motor everywhere in a sailboat.

spritsail

It can get quite fresh in the eastern part of the Visayas - Surgiao Straits etc, Bohol Sea. However, the nativa 2 is fitted with a Caterpillar 300 hp engine and sails will probably give her an extra knot or so. My own boat only has 56 hp Yanmar and  when the wind is on the stern quarter can help her along at 5 or 6 knots, however they are motor sailors and to depend entirely upon the wind is nonsensical.They (sails)  are necessary though to give her good trim and list on a broadside sea.  Most of the Indonesian phinis sailing in the Indonesian archipelago were designed to sail along with the Southwest monsoon or NE monsoon. There were unable to sail with the wind ahead. An excellent book on sailing Indonesian Phinis is Lawrence Blair - An Indonesian Odessy - Ring of Fire. which describes his voyages throughout the indonesian archipelago during the 1970s.

The nativa 2 mostly serves the Pulao Islands?  out in the Pacific and carries building materials, christian aid and bibles.

• Like 2
spritsail

There are several yachting regattas held each year in the Philippines for "pure" sailing boats and you find these in the magazine Active Boating and Watersports in the Philippines www.activeboatingwatersports.com  

• Like 2
Knowdafish

It can get quite fresh in the eastern part of the Visayas - Surgiao Straits etc, Bohol Sea. However, the nativa 2 is fitted with a Caterpillar 300 hp engine and sails will probably give her an extra knot or so. My own boat only has 56 hp Yanmar and  when the wind is on the stern quarter can help her along at 5 or 6 knots, however they are motor sailors and to depend entirely upon the wind is nonsensical.They (sails)  are necessary though to give her good trim and list on a broadside sea.  Most of the Indonesian phinis sailing in the Indonesian archipelago were designed to sail along with the Southwest monsoon or NE monsoon. There were unable to sail with the wind ahead. An excellent book on sailing Indonesian Phinis is Lawrence Blair - An Indonesian Odessy - Ring of Fire. which describes his voyages throughout the indonesian archipelago during the 1970s.

The nativa 2 mostly serves the Pulao Islands?  out in the Pacific and carries building materials, christian aid and bibles.

Thanks for the info!

It is a wonder how Magellan even got here considering the type of rigging those boats had along with the lack of motors and an inconsistent wind. 

thebob

It is a wonder how Magellan even got here considering the type of rigging those boats had along with the lack of motors and an inconsistent wind. 

It's just a case of being patient. Half of the year you can go one way easily, for the other half of the year you can go the other way. but you can go across the wind, in either direction most of the time.

spritsail

i have been following a documentary film series on ABC Australian Network about captain Cooks voyages to the pacific, and to the Bering sea in search of the north west passage. The Endeavour  was nothing more than a converted sail collier ( coal carrying bullnosed sailing barge) from Whitby, North Yorkshire and yet he got from South Island New Zealand to Vancouver in three months . He did these voyages, each lasting  over  18 months, not once, but three times.

Davaoeno

last year I posted a thread on largest sailing ship being constructed in the Philippines, so this post is an update on the construction.

The Nativa 2 is being built for the Remote Island Ministeries. keel was laid in Gensan and the fitting out is in Davao. The plans were drawn up by Glen Knight and naval architects  at the SAFI shipyard in Gen San.  The nativa 1 is on the market for sale and at 95000 usd would be a good charter/liveaboard vessel.

My own inivolvement in this project has been marginal owing to health reasons although I am drawing up some of the rigging - standing and running rigging based upon Indonesian phinisi and old Hull sailing trawlers circa 1890 from the book by Edgar . J. March  - Sailing Trawlers, the definitive treatise on old sailing trawler designs and sailing plans.

As for my own phinisi which was damaged during the pablo typhoon whilst in the drydock basin in Jasaan, I have just finished restepping the masts, into new mast supports, refashioned the stern layout to have a false counter stern, new railings and wheelhouse roof. Not all was due to pablo but long overdue maintenance. - Wood does last forever basis.

Where can I get details of the Nativa 1 - including a recent survey pls ?

spritsail

Where can I get details of the Nativa 1 - including a recent survey pls ?

If you open the attachment = Remote island Ministeries  then there is contact information. Glen is currently in the USA but usually responds to emails within 24 hours. His email address is listed there. I think its [email protected] .

I did have some basic information regarding accommodation, engine, etc but its in some email somewhere. I believe it has been completely refurbished hence the higher price. It has made regular trips to palau, Gensan etc. I believe it is moored at Samal island or in port Davao, but I could be wrong. He has a regular crew although the present skipper does not have the ticket (licence)  required to captain the nativa 2. If you get stuck then PM me and I will delve into the depths of my pc.

Bill H

MARINA has rules on the books making it illegal to license any wooden commercial vessel.  Thus far they seem to be selectively applying those laws, but they are clearly pushing everyone to convert to steel or aluminum.

Edited by Bill H