• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knowdafish

• KID

• shadow

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this yesterday in the wrong thread, and Globe has not seen fit to make it easy to correct since then. Here it is;   The OP is looking for something to spend a few weeks/months a year to sta

you could get a minivan/suv tent  

This is what they are calling Tiny Homes

Posted Images

Knowdafish

I prefer this style for off road use

arb3101us_lg.jpg

But the one KID posted would be cool even though a bit heavy and be termite bait here.

01_Epu-Snow_1024x1024.jpg?10963

After Hurricane Katrina blew through some were living in "Katrina Cottages" which are bit large, but still portable. There are a lot of variations of this theme on the internet. 

ho_katrina_3.jpg

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 2

But the one KID posted would be cool even though a bit heavy and be termite bait here

follow the links--some great plans ----building material is your choice---snow is even optional

you could get a minivan/suv tent

2ur0ya1.jpg

I actually had one like this---but they are a pain in the butt when ya want to go to the cr in the middle of the night and no one else is awake or wants to go :)

• Like 1
Knowdafish

snow is even optional

Push a button?  :D

snowing_2.gif

• Like 1

I like the buildings made of Steele containers that headshot posted---- but we are talking mobile----But if we were talking permanent buildings, That would be the way to go

Knowdafish

I like the buildings made of Steele containers that headshot posted---- but we are talking mobile----But if we were talking permanent buildings, That would be the way to go

They would be the ticket if they were properly insulated. The problem is though that there does not seem to be an easy and inexpensive source for them here. Even the beat up and rusty ones they don't want to sell. 

The opposite is the case in So Cal. There are quite few places that sell them in all shapes, sizes, and configurations. You can even rent them or have them customized. 

They would be the ticket if they were properly insulated. The problem is though that there does not seem to be an easy and inexpensive source for them here. Even the beat up and rusty ones they don't want to sell. 

The opposite is the case in So Cal. There are quite few places that sell them in all shapes, sizes, and configurations. You can even rent them or have them customized. 

True--but with many expats relocating to the Philippines--that container problem could be solved easy enough with a little pre-planning------as far as insulation goes---- several products on the market for that---some are even sprayed on like paint and have an excellent r rating

stevewool

what a bout a fridge fright container , they are insulated already

shadow

I posted this yesterday in the wrong thread, and Globe has not seen fit to make it easy to correct since then. Here it is;

The OP is looking for something to spend a few weeks/months a year to stay in, that he could move back and forth a short distance when needed. I think he had the right idea. 

Being as I have built several kubos/nipa huts here, as well as trailers, I have given this some thought.

A very nice Kubo of the size he is looking at can be built for around P50,000. One can add a full CR and kitchen inside for about another P50,000. A trailer suitable for moving it could also be built for about P50,000.

There are several options for making it portable. Kubos need to be kept up off the ground. One could install footings in both places he wanted to park, and build the kubo and trailer with the idea in mind to be able to back the trailer under it, lift the kubo onto the trailer, and move to the other site and set it down on the footings (already leveled and secured). The trailer could then be used for other purposes as well, including building a second Kubo if he wanted to expand later.

The kubo could also be trailer mounted so he just pulls it to the other site and sets it up on blocks or stands, just as one would do an RV. A one piece unit could even be built without using a tremendous amount of steel, just build the kubo accordingly and mount the springs and tongue onto the timbers of the Kubo. (remember we are not talking about traveling the highways, we just want to make it easily movable, down to the beach and back.)

An alternative would be to build a solid and secure hollow block CR and dirty kitchen on site, then just move the much simpler and lighter kubo up next to it when he wants to stay there. He could even build an awning and patio to sit on and enjoy the ocean breezes.  This would probably cost a little more than putting the CR/kitchen inside, but not terribly so, and would make it so all the kubo would really be needed for is sleeping quarters and a place for additional shelter and privacy (bedroom).

Either way, the kubo could be moved with a 4WD industrial model multicab (w/ low range). One would not need a big boom truck or a crane to move it. 

Either way, simple and cheap (P150,00 to P300,000). Nipa huts on the beach can be very comfy, and properly built and maintained can last 20 years+.

• Like 3
Knowdafish

what a bout a fridge fright container , they are insulated already

That is a possibility, but that type of container is an even rarer find than a non-insulated one in the Philippines. Considering how much more they want for a refrigerated container versus a non-refrigerated one (in the U.S.) it may be cheaper to insulate one yourself.

smokey

if it can be pulled in by truck it can be stolen the same way ... buy a condo much harder to steal

stillworking

A lot of good ideas have been submitted, thank you. The theft problem is not an issue if the cobo can be moved back to our lot next to the brother in laws house as they are right there to watch it and take care of. While it is on the beach we would be using it so theft is not an issue at that time. I like Shadow's ideas too of using a trailer to move it and then the trailer could be used for other porpoises. I had thought about buying an old wore out jeepne, stripping it down to the frame and just building it on that frame, again  just ideas. Also thought about buying an old wore out big bus and making a towable motorless motor home. Again, it only has to make it about one kilometer. Then bus idea I like as we could copy some of the motor home designs that one can find on the net. The bus would provide a complete shell, one would have to deal with the metal /heat problem but I am sure that can be overcome. Just by fashioning a nipa roof and awnings to keep the sun off its roof and sides would greatly help. There is a lot of room in a bus, I have had a few motor homes here in the states and have spent a bit of time. No problem being comfortable. I have enjoyed all the comments. Thank you

Still working (not) 

USCebuana

A bus with toilet, shower and kitchen sounds good. That would be nice for touring the whole country.