Building an RV type trl that could be pulled to a beach lot

stillworking

Why you might ask? Well, I have two lots a few hundred yards from the ocean, both next to family. Nice spots. Except for me it is much cooler by the ocean. I also have a beach lot. So, here is the problem. Nice little beach lot, tried to put a decorative bamboo fence around it a while back with the next plan to build a beach cottage and some how it just vanished before we had the chance to build the cottage , I mean every stick!!!! We have no family near the beach lot. So, I was thinking of building a bamboo rv cottage, say four meters by seven meters on some type of trailer. So, when I go there I could just pull it over to the beach lot, stay a few weeks and when done pull it back over and park it next to my brother in laws house and leave it there till I need it again? I have a bunch of stuff at the brother in law's and never had a problem. 

If I build a permanent beach cottage on the beach lot then I have to hire someone to live in it to protect it from some how vanishing.

We just want something simple that we can stay in for a few weeks in the winter, kind of like camping. 

Have been to the Philippines many times, tried to move there in 04 but that failed, so just plan on visiting now. 

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

W.T.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knowdafish

• KID

• shadow

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this yesterday in the wrong thread, and Globe has not seen fit to make it easy to correct since then. Here it is;   The OP is looking for something to spend a few weeks/months a year to sta

you could get a minivan/suv tent  

This is what they are calling Tiny Homes

Posted Images

Knowdafish

I have over 20 years of working on R.V.s and know the finer details if that would help. 

I think 4 meters x 7 meters is not going to be practical though as it is too wide unless it:

1) Doesn't have to be moved very far

2) All the (off road?) roads, paths, etc can support it's weight and width without getting stuck, dragging/high-centering, hitting an obstacle like a low hanging tree etc.

3) It doesn't have to go on a city street at all

The other thing with that width is finding an axle that is that wide. I think 2.5 meters or about 8 feet is a much more practical width and is the width of most R.V.'s in the U.S. 

Building a steel frame to support it is no problem, but finding the springs and axles here may be a problem. The other thing is what are you going to tow it with? A truck I hope?

shadow

How far is it between the lots? Is the road passable for something  4 meters wide? To go 4 meters wide you may have to go to a double wide nipa hutrailer.  ;)

Could be done in a single wide, but your width will be limited to the width of the passable road.

I would put your cost (single wide) at P100,000 for something basic, and up to P300,000 for something very nice and comfortable (depending on how much comfort you want).

• Like 1
shadow

I have over 20 years of working on R.V.s and know the finer details if that would help. 

I think 4 meters x 7 meters is not going to be practical though as it is too wide unless it:

1) Doesn't have to be moved very far

2) All the (off road?) roads, paths, etc can support it's weight and width without getting stuck, dragging/high-centering, hitting an obstacle like a low hanging tree etc.

3) It doesn't have to go on a city street at all

The other thing with that width is finding an axle that is that wide. I think 2.5 meters or about 8 feet is a much more practical width and is the width of most R.V.'s in the U.S. 

Building a steel frame to support it is no problem, but finding the springs and axles here may be a problem. The other thing is what are you going to tow it with? A truck I hope?

Springs are readily available, and an axle can be built any width. We have built several trailers using multicab front spindles, wheels, and tires,  and the axle out of 3 inch channel. Most any surplus outfit carries a variety of springs. 

Canuck Joe

a well insulated shipping container with big steal shutters that open up to an awning revealing screen windows or sliding patio Door? Any big rigs with a crane in your hood....or just let someone stay in your shack if you build something decent I bet you could rent it out to expats.

What island....heck I could use a month on the beach.

Dragonladies.org

You're not worried about indoor plumbing, electrical, etc?

Why not just a fairly huge camping tent, and possibly a small utility trailer to haul it to beach on, that also included some attached cooking stuff,(Gas stove, coolers, etc) maybe a small generator or a couple of deep cycle batteries with a solar panel or two, portable shower, etc.

i would have shipped a trailer from usa 

not sure about how much is shipping but older trailer you can buy for cheap there 

i would love to do that 

had a motor home in states and loved it 

shadow

i would have shipped a trailer from usa 

not sure about how much is shipping but older trailer you can buy for cheap there 

i would love to do that 

had a motor home in states and loved it 

That would be a customs officer's dream come true!

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

maybe something like a popup camper

• Like 1
stillworking

Thank you for all the replies. The lots are just one kilometer apart and the road is such that I could pull a 12'X21' trl no problem. The lots are all level so getting in and out of them is not a problem either. I did  look at tents but I was hoping for something a bit more sturdy than a tent. I have also read the post on containers and had thought if a person cut out the side walls, then hinged them at the top so they could be cranked up, or out like awnings with some snap in bamboo walls you could turn a 8'X40' into a 24'X40' pretty quickly. I also understand the heat problem of a container and that one would have to figure out how to keep the sun off it. Thatched roof and walls maybe? Of course we can stay at a resort a half mile away for 40 to 50 per night so one has to wonder if it is worth the effort. 20 nights at 50 dollars is only a grand with no worries? Hey, any one want to buy a beach lot, lol. I would think as time goes on we could be spending as much as three to five months there which of course changes every thing. Again, I appreciate all the input. Make it a great day!

S.W.

Headshot

Truthfully, You might really want to consider the sea container idea. You could build basically a lowboy trailer with it, and you won't have to worry too much about deteriorating. Such a unit could fairly easily be moved from one site to another. If you decide to make the unit(s) portable, you don't need too much security (although you still need some...such as grates for the doors and windows). However, you do need to means to move and level them twice each time you move to the beach (once when you take them to the beach, and once when you take them back to the lot near your family).

On the other hand, you might just consider putting a couple of containers on concrete foundations on-site at your beach property, and design your place so it can be totally secured against theft and pilfering. There is a resort on Bantayan Island that is almost entirely built with sea containers. They have made the units very comfortable inside, but very sturdy on the outside. Look at what they did, and it might give you some ideas. With some changes in materials and more security measures, you might be able to create a vacation spot that won't be carried away. If you decide to build on-site, You will want a way to secure windows and doors when you aren't around. There are roll-up door manufacturers here on Cebu that could solve that problem for you. Lightweight bamboo (your fence) might be easy to drag off, but tons of steel that has been well-secured and built into a beach house would be a bit tougher.

You can see what they did with sea containers at Anika Island Resort here...

http://wowbantayan.com/wowhome/index.php?page=anika-island-resort

Here are examples of roll-up doors that can be used to secure doors and windows (or even large porches)...

http://oliverdoors.ph/?product=roll-up-door

http://www.rollupdoorsdirect.com/

• Like 1

01_Epu-Snow_1024x1024.jpg?10963

This is what they are calling Tiny Homes

Edited by KID
  • Like 2
smokey

i dont think the philippines is ready for the brady bunch in pop up trailers

post-35-0-66108400-1374855910_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Knowdafish

Springs are readily available, and an axle can be built any width. We have built several trailers using multicab front spindles, wheels, and tires,  and the axle out of 3 inch channel. Most any surplus outfit carries a variety of springs. 

I think a multicab spindle maybe too light duty for what he is looking at. How much weight is a multicab wheel and tire good for? 

3" channel for an axle? Was it boxed to make it like a tube? How do you allow for camber? As the axle is loaded it will flex. This is likely not important in this particular case though as it likely is not going to be moving very far.