Checking Account? Not so fast.......

hyaku

I had something a bit similar to that when I opened up an account at Metrobank. They couldn't understand why my middle name wasn't my mother's maiden name, and ended up insisting I had two first names and no middle name when it came to filling in the form! No point arguing with their logic sometimes!

If you are single they do that. Same as a driving license.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So my wife is trying to get a basic Checking account with BDO or some other bank.  They told her that she needed a Landline phone number to do so.  We don't have a landline number yet and will take a few more days.

Is this standard operating procedures for banks?  It has been so long ago that I tried to get a checking account, so I don't remember.

FYI- you can give yourself a 'landline' instantly by texting some code and subscribing to Globe's 'pseudo landing thingy' (I assume Smart has one too?). You will receive a number in minutes and whenever someone calls this 'landline' your cell phone will ring. YOu also get landline pricing for calls made to landlines. 

Sorry for all the vagueness about how to turn it on or even what its called, but I'm sure you can track it down by googling the right things or just tell your significant other to make it happen. Most Filipinos are fluent in the various cell phone short codes and offers....

As a side note, my bank uses the numbers i gave them quire regularly when it comes to my checking account, because they tend to call me as most checks clear just to make sure it was really me writing the check....

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

what gives?  This is BDO I think..... they demanded that she have a landline for her business account.

BDO, based on my experience, is fully staffed with a lot of people who will find ways to not do their job....In fact their slogan is "We find ways." ... Yea...

I have a pretty good relationship with BDO. In fact, they  extend a pretty large line of unsecured credit to me. But I do find time and again, whenever I happen to pop into one of their random branches and try to do something I need to call my personal contact and have them call the branch manager at that branch and then the girl who didn't want to do what I asked her to do is now doing it, and of course with an attitude.... Whereas BPI is more predictable in how they act from branch to branch. IF I try to do the same things at a random BPI branch I will have no difficulty. But in a BDO branch look out. BDO will also try to charge me for interbranch transactions and EVERY TIME I have to pull out this stupid card they gave me which exempts me from it. And EVERY TIME they have to call over a supervisor to do an override to exempt me from the fee. You would think they could have this somehow coded into the customer's master file>!?!?!

However, if I go to "my" branch of BDO they treat me like royalty, whereas BPI treats me like any other customer.... 

ILoveCyrus

" we find ways to..............screw you"