Checking Account? Not so fast.......

ILoveCyrus

So my wife is trying to get a basic Checking account with BDO or some other bank.  They told her that she needed a Landline phone number to do so.  We don't have a landline number yet and will take a few more days.

Is this standard operating procedures for banks?  It has been so long ago that I tried to get a checking account, so I don't remember.

hchoate

standard operating procedures

A Western concept. Another day, another branch who knows?

CebuKano

Hmmm. I don't recall if they asked us for a landline or not. Why not just give them a relative's number or something else? I doubt they would verify it and you can change it when you get your real landline number.

NigelandMJ

There are so many areas of the Philippines that do not have land line coverage, in some cases only mobile, others nothing ! My wife has an account, but has no land line phone, and never has. Only a mobile phone number.

tomaw

I can open an account in PNB (Philippine National Bank) without even leaving California. They have a branch in Los Angeles. To open an account I just need two forms of picture ID. They didn't even ask for phone number but said cell phone only is OK.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

You never know what you will get. No you do not need a landline. Yet if someone does not want to do their job they will require it.

There is no set rules just go to another bank or speak to the manager. This lack of rules csn be frustrating if you let it.

ILoveCyrus

Let me rephrase... this was a Business Checking account.  I think it makes a difference?

USMC-Retired

No it will not. Sure as I am standing here I could get a business account open without a phone number. The right people you need to talk to. It may be on the form so either wait it out or ho speak with the manager or mske one up doubt they will call.

Paul

Not sure where you tried. But, go to RCBC in Talisay, first bank on the left side of the highway, going south into Talisay. 

I would suggest trying there. 

ILoveCyrus

what gives?  This is BDO I think..... they demanded that she have a landline for her business account.

Rocketman

I think it has to do with Philippine money-laundering laws and how strictly the bank wants to follow them.  I have a Citi account in the U.S. and to open one here, they required proof that I was living here which included a lease contract, utility bill in my name and a phone number.  It was frustrating, but it's in the past now.

SkyMan

So my wife is trying to get a basic Checking account with BDO or some other bank.  They told her that she needed a Landline phone number to do so.  We don't have a landline number yet and will take a few more days.

Is this standard operating procedures for banks?  It has been so long ago that I tried to get a checking account, so I don't remember.

There is a box on the form for a landline therefore the robot behind the desk must put something in there or she won't be able to function.  Try to tell them you don't have a middle name.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Skyman do not be so negative...... Calling Filipino employees robots and they can only do what is programed..... JJ Sadly the it is the truth,

johnboy999

Try to tell them you don't have a middle name.

I had something a bit similar to that when I opened up an account at Metrobank. They couldn't understand why my middle name wasn't my mother's maiden name, and ended up insisting I had two first names and no middle name when it came to filling in the form! No point arguing with their logic sometimes!

• Like 1
hyaku

Metrobank has remittance service in some countries. They will send your Pension or other monies direct to an account here for a small charge.