No more whalesharks in Donsol

hyaku

News reports, due to rise of 2 to 3 celcius in the water they are not around anymore. I was in the sea a few days ago. Never before have I felt such heat. It was like a hot bath!

Canuck Joe

i hope that is just rumors from anti feeding groups, the only way i can get my married friends here is if i tell them they can swim with whale sharks.

Headshot

That's interesting. I was diving a few days ago at San Remigio in northern Cebu, and the water was positively chilly. Do you think it might have something to do with currents and seasonal temperature swings?

hyaku

Maybe. But the whale sharks have been there for years. Perhaps they joined their buddies to get fed down in the South of Cebu. They have stopped diving up here off sambawan after a malapascua dive boat reported dynamite problems.

USCebuana

How is the feeding in Oslob different from the feeding of white sharks in South Africa and the nurse sharks in the Caribbean? I doubt they feed them enough for them not to look for food elsewhere. The shrimp feed they give them is so small it's probably like a treat instead of a whole meal.

hyaku

Because it destroys the natural instinct to forage for food. When people stop feeding fish when it's off tourist season they die. Llangkawi is a good example. Greenpeace are hot on this one. Heard they we're going to Oslob.Anyone have info on this?

USCebuana

They are not fed enough for them to stay there permanently. I don't think they have resident sharks there. But again how is it different from the practice in South Africa and the Caribbean? 

If I can make a guess, I think Greenpeace is there for the proposed coal powered power plants. I wonder what they propose as an alternative power source or what mitigation measures they recommend for the environmental impact of coal.

enoonmai

They are not fed enough for them to stay there permanently.

Do you have 1st hand knowledge or a source for that? From what I've read there is conflicting opinion on what the long term effect will be.  

USCebuana

The head of the fishermen was on video saying the amount of food is not enough to sustain them and they are fed only for a few hours. Of course he is biased but just look at the food they have compared to the size of the whale sharks! I personally would prefer that they are not hand fed but have some sort of a device where they get fed  farther from the boats. It's not ideal but I don't think it's different from what's practiced in SA and the Caribbean.

hyaku

Well I'm a diver. For is it's definitely no.