Permission to leave the country for Filipinos...

Recent discussions in the Cambodia thread made me realise that there may be problems when I take my middle aged Philippine girlfriend to Malaysia for her birthday, a trip of about 5 days.  The thread discussed preventing Filipinos from leaving the country, and asking a number of questions before denying/allowing the privilege.  Is this likely to happen?  We'll get a return ticket back to Manila (and I'll be getting a third "throwaway" ticket back to an inexpensive destination that I won't actually use).  I'll have printouts of my accounts showing I've got funds, also some emergency Malaysian cash, a printout of the booking where we'll be staying in Malaysia.

So are there likely to be issues?  Also, when does this "questioning" happen at the airport?  Before you present your ticket or after etc.  Thanks.

Discussion on the Cambodia thread: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/61619-cambodia-no-country-for-old-men/page-3#entry679744

Edited by BobX
panther

Recent discussions in the Cambodia thread made me realise that there may be problems when I take my middle aged Philippine girlfriend to Malaysia for her birthday, a trip of about 5 days.  The thread discussed preventing Filipinos from leaving the country, and asking a number of questions before denying/allowing the privilege.  Is this likely to happen?  We'll get a return ticket back to Manila (and I'll be getting a third "throwaway" ticket back to an inexpensive destination that I won't actually use).  I'll have printouts of my accounts showing I've got funds, also some emergency Malaysian cash, a printout of the booking where we'll be staying in Malaysia.

So are there likely to be issues?  Also, when does this "questioning" happen at the airport?  Before you present your ticket or after etc.  Thanks.

Discussion on the Cambodia thread: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/61619-cambodia-no-country-for-old-men/page-3#entry679744

i,ll tell you in about 4 hours i,m about to leave cebu for hongkong with my 40 year old g f so watch this space lol

i,ll tell you in about 4 hours i,m about to leave cebu for hongkong with my 40 year old g f so watch this space lol

Good luck buddy.

• Like 1
panther

Good luck buddy.

its her first time out of the country and i,m taking her to disneyland shes like a kid very excited lol

• Like 2
ThomsonJr

It's not about getting permission to leave the country, it's about being well prepared and showing proof to the immigration officers that you are really going on a holiday, have means to support yourself and will be returning. If you leave together with your GF together then you don't have to worry too much, if she leaves on her own and is a bit stressed and isn't well prepared, for example: doesn't know where she is going to stay, when is her return ticket, what her plans are, then chances are high, if she gets questioned by an immigration officer, that she will be refused to leave.

The only girls I know who had this incident happening to them were all below 24 years of age so I don't know about middle aged women.

Paul

Personally, it is a bunch of bullshit, in my opinion. That is, being able to stop your countrymen from going elsewhere if they want. One major thing is, they definitely need a round trip ticket. If they are going to leave on a one way ticket, I can imagine they will prevent the Filipino from leaving. 

Paul

It's not about getting permission to leave the country, it's about being well prepared and showing proof to the immigration officers

Bullshit. It isn't about proving anything to them. It's all about them having the power to dictate whether you, as a Filipino National, can leave the country. Php 10,000 per month Immigration Officers sitting there acting like a god. 

My g/f had EVERYTHING that was required, and they still asked her, why so long before she was returning? (Her return ticket was for December, and she arrived here in April.) She had a baby in tow, had a photocopy of MY passport Identification page, and all other documentation. They just want to be pains in the ass about it, because they can be. 

• Like 2
Nangulo

As long as you have separate last names on your passports, she should be fine.  If you have same last names, she'll need a CFO.  Always tell immigration you're boyfriend/girlfriend, you're NOT married.

I researched this extensively before taking my 37 y/o girlfriend to Hong Kong.  I made it, but had to fill out a bunch of forms at the airport.  Also, as a precaution, I booked hotels in HER name so she could show immigration that SHE had a place to stay.

My experience here:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/51743-taking-single-filipina-to-hong-kong-%E2%80%93-her-first-time-out-of-country/

• Like 1
miles-high

She went off to Singapore for a week to see her aunt’s family; we went to Hong Kong for a few days’ Disney tour, Macau trip…

Nothing asked, not even a round trip ticket… They just stamped her passport…

Well, I don’t know… Maybe it was Manila...

Or maybe they have a secret profiling system in place... and we look good... :rofl:

Paul

Maybe it was Manila...

Manila is where most of the problems originated, for Vivian. 

miles-high, how old was the lady you took with you? I am thinking that age may play a big part of this? 

ThomsonJr

Bullshit. It isn't about proving anything to them. It's all about them having the power to dictate whether you, as a Filipino National, can leave the country. Php 10,000 per month Immigration Officers sitting there acting like a god. 

That's why you need to be well prepared before showing up at the airport, it all comes down to preparation because yes, indeed, they can refuse anyone to leave the country without a valid reason, especially any average Filipino who can't do anything except take their bags and passport and go back home, even if their intentions to travel were genuine.

miles-high

miles-high, how old was the lady you took with you? I am thinking that age may play a big part of this?

Paul

you need to be well prepared before showing up at the airport

That was my point, mate. She was well prepared and had everything necessary to be able to leave the country, according to their requirements. They still went through the motions and almost prevented her from leaving. Personally, it is none of their fecking business why she was going to be out of the country until December. They hold all the power, and they will make sure you know it. 

panther

Good luck buddy.

ok mr bolox this is what happened we checked in payed 1620 each travel tax and 550 each airport tax .at passport control we were asked what relationship were we and i replied bf and gf we then were taken for interview together and was asked to fill in a form taking responsibilit for her she was asked in tagalog if i was a good boy or not lol she was also asked how much pocket money she was carrying which i replied 200 dollars which we were not asked to show. Interviewer went awol for 15 minutes then came back and said your ok to go hope this helps ya we got fri kin drenched at disney very over rated only one decent ride space mountain the rest was for little kids