Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Mozzarella cheese…

miles-high

Fresh Mozzarella cheese should be eaten within 15 minutes after it’s made, according to Mario Puzo (of the Godfather fame), together with "blood red" Sicilian wine... 

I’ve been to almost all Italian restaurants in NCR and Cebu and the only place that serves fresh Mozzarella is a nice restaurant called Balducci’s in Market Market. They do a good Mozzarella appetizer with slices of fresh tomatoes (not easy to find good tomatoes in the Philippines) and fresh basil…

I have also tried to find fresh Mozzarella for home but all they have is one or two brands of “imported” Mozzarella at those famous delis in NCR. One day we met a “consulting” chef at one of the deli, who is said to be a culinary arts professor at La Salle U here. (A French chef happy in Paris but marriage to a Filipina forced him to be here… ;))

Anyway, he told us that a good substitute is a cheese called “Kesong Puti or white cheese”… We found one here at Gaisano (Metro Stores) yesterday and well, it’s not too bad… not as good as fresh Mozzarella but much better than those pricy “imported” Italian Mozzarella…

:)

• Like 1

Brucewayne

Monterrey Jack is also an acceptable substitute if it is all you can find.

• Like 1

SkyMan

There's a little old lady who sells Carabao cheese here in Liloan on Sunday morning's.  The price is p100 for 3 packs wrapped in banana leaves.  When I buy it I bring tuperware and take it out of the leaves because they will eventually give it a bitter taste.  It starts out like thick pudding and is spreadable then firms up over time and becomes more flavorful.  I've had some in the ref as long as 2 weeks and it's still very good.

• Like 2

Headshot

Quezo fresca

Wolfpack

Fresh Mozzarella cheese should be eaten within 15 minutes after it’s made, according to Mario Puzo (of the Godfather fame), together with "blood red" Sicilian wine... 

I’ve been to almost all Italian restaurants in NCR and Cebu and the only place that serves fresh Mozzarella is a nice restaurant called Balducci’s in Market Market. They do a good Mozzarella appetizer with slices of fresh tomatoes (not easy to find good tomatoes in the Philippines) and fresh basil…

I have also tried to find fresh Mozzarella for home but all they have is one or two brands of “imported” Mozzarella at those famous delis in NCR. One day we met a “consulting” chef at one of the deli, who is said to be a culinary arts professor at La Salle U here. (A French chef happy in Paris but marriage to a Filipina forced him to be here… ;))

Anyway, he told us that a good substitute is a cheese called “Kesong Puti or white cheese”… We found one here at Gaisano (Metro Stores) yesterday and well, it’s not too bad… not as good as fresh Mozzarella but much better than those pricy “imported” Italian Mozzarella…

:)

depends on what one is using the cheese for...when it comes to pizza cheese...using only Mozzarella will make a pizza very greasy...my family always had a cheese mix of half Mozzarella and half Provolone with a touch of Parmesan...

other than pizza, I do not mess with cheese in the Philippines...

• Like 2

miles-high

depends on what one is using the cheese for

I usually prepare a traditional Italian appetizer...

th11.jpg

The problem is to find good tasting tomatoes here... :)

• Like 1

Wolfpack

I usually prepare a traditional Italian appetizer...

attachicon.gifth11.jpg

The problem is to find good tasting tomatoes here... :)

I brought my wife some Jersey tomatoes...I have not seen anything in the Philippines that compares to Jersey tomatoes...

Wolfpack

Hmmm, looks great... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Jersey+tomatoes&qpvt=Jersey+tomatoes&FORM=IGRE

It's been a while since I had fried green tomatoes... :)

sometimes I think it is worth a trip to the states just for the food I bring back...but I really hate that 15 hours flight from Hong Kong to New York...and back...

last trip, I even brought a sicilian pizza...an item I have never seen in the Philippines...

• Like 1

miles-high

I really hate that 15 hours flight from Hong Kong to New York...and back...

Perhaps you may wish to try Honolulu next time... :)

I always bring back a box of canned heart of palms from Guam, they do have shredded heart of palms here for lumpiang ubod/lumpiang sariwa but its not the same... Even my GF now prefers canned heart of palms... :)

Brucewayne

sometimes I think it is worth a trip to the states just for the food I bring back...but I really hate that 15 hours flight from Hong Kong to New York...and back...

last trip, I even brought a sicilian pizza...an item I have never seen in the Philippines...

Man, I would almost kill for some more of those wieners you had at Genesis Valley.

• Like 1

Knowdafish

I really hate that 15 hours flight from Hong Kong to New York...and back...

You really do need to invest in a faster jet!  :lol:

• Like 1