• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Open_Ended

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Originally from Minnesota, very tired of the snow and cold. Any time I think it might be too humid/hot here I just think of -20 degrees F and the weather here seems GREAT! In my experience there did n

Im in phil cos thats where my Mrs is.  Where ever she is, thats my home.

To live in the Philippines successfully you must respect the risks involved and know how to mitigate them, and many of the long time expats know exactly how to do that. They also know how to make life

Posted Images

Open_Ended

What do I do here?  Nothing really but enjoy myself and the locals ... I ride one of my dirt bikes across the mountain ranges of Cebu a few times a week ... Other than that, I'm just waiting for my GF to return for play time ...

Frustrating here from time to time but nothing anywhere near the degree of the words written out here ... I'm here till kingdom comes.

post-15077-0-15515300-1377781006_thumb.jpg

SomeRandomGuy

Once again somedays I do ask myself what I am doing here.

i asked my partner today if she lived in a country where you have no rights and no matter how long you live here would she live here.

She didn't even need to take a second to think about it she said feck no.

even if you have adopted the customs, speak the language take a filipino as your partner and have kids here we will always be foreingers.

With no rights, step out of line be defending yourself and risk being deported and we can't own diddly squat.

feck knows why I am here.  Mind you I love my gf and she doesnt want to leave until she is finnished college ( which I understand).

I used to love it here once.  

Coruption, poor infrustucture and people forever wanting to know every single thing I do.....   boy its getting old  quicker by the day.

lol my gf wants me to travel to a few different countries as she realized having kids here is irresponible of us. We can live anywhere in the world by staying here and having a family I do not think I will be giving my children the best chance in the future and until just recently I just got what so many guys leave here with their kids after they get to a certain age.

• Like 1
Open_Ended

wow ... This web site has shown me a Philippines I've never seen before ...

Don't take this personally, but my existence here is about 180 degrees from what you are describing ... I'm about 100% satisfied on the 2 foremost reasons I came here (other than $ stretching) .. 1)To ride dirt bikes each day AND 2) put pun-tang into the same bucket as air ... Both are not really important unless you are not getting enough of either.

Edited by Open_Ended
  • Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

u only been here 3 years though   u still got your love blinkers on.   wait till it happens.  U will know then

then again  I think I just miss cebu            when I get some more funds together  maybe I might move back there  Lots of people love dumaguete.

Im a city boy i think  ha

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Open_Ended

I'm just coasting waiting on age 59.5 as a far ~term goal.. Another 3.5yrs on that one ...

--

I think I can see how this place does not have something to offer everyone ...ESP over the course of time of a few yrs ... There just is not much to do here on a daily basis ... That's not gonna put ya in the right frame of mind each day maybe and if you end up on the very low-costing booze, again, it may not be a good lifestyle with all things considered... And actually trying to make a living here by working is not something I'd wish on anyone but the locals .... The city living many of you guys are doing would get me also probably ....

Might be best for some to formulate another exit plan ....

Edited by Open_Ended
SomeRandomGuy

always have an exit plan my friend  always.       Plus I don't drink. 

When I was single and loving it all    was great.     I have a long time to wait for 59.5 years      been here for almost 6 years now, maybe ill come back here in a few years time or come back for 3 months every year. For now I am waiting for college to start back up, plaining out my flights for this and next year, learning a bit of spanish, I think I got the travel bug looking for that grass that is somewhat a lil more greener.

My problem is I tried to settle...   never been much of a settler.  To many things to see and do over there somewhere

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Open_Ended

u only been here 3 years though   u still got your love blinkers on.   wait till it happens.  U will know then

then again  I think I just miss cebu            when I get some more funds together  maybe I might move back there  Lots of people love dumaguete.

Im a city boy i think  ha

always have an exit plan my friend  always.       Plus I don't drink. 

When I was single and loving it all    was great.     I have a long time to wait for 59.5 years      been here for almost 6 years now, maybe ill come back here in a few years time or come back for 3 months every year. For now I am waiting for college to start back up, plaining out my flights for this and next year, learning a bit of spanish, I think I got the travel bug looking for that grass that is somewhat a lil more greener.

My problem is I tried to settle...   never been much of a settler.  To many things to see and do over there somewhere

No help here on what a city boy wants in any city ...  Why not ride a 250cc bike or something around and around these islands to see what is over there? 

Being young could be an issue also ... How old are you?  I'd have never moved here in my 40s and it was only about age 48 before I even thought up moving over here ...

The trail riding here is world class across each island I've been on ... So I'm happy ... Cebu has the best terrain I think and not so big and that helps it be safe...

HeyMike

Someone mentioned someone owing the IRS a million dollars... what the hell is an IRS?

1/2 full or 1/2 empty? I think for most foreigners its the good that out weighs the bad here. I personally love Cebu, it has everything i would want and its a managable city. The Pilipinos here are simple and care about building legacies, where in Manila "Gates of Hell", its all about money and greed. For now i would not trade Cebu!

Yes there are frustrations but I won't take my wife away from the home town (Cebu) that she loves and where she feels most comfortable among family and friends, all of who I like and get along with pretty well.  For me, still working part-time in Hong Kong, I get to enjoy regular downtime away from a big, crazy city, enjoying a house with a bit of garden and not a tiny apartment.  After more than 30 years in Asia there's no way I could settle back in the UK and Cebu seems as good a place as any to me.  It's changing fast and will only get better. Never experienced any problems or unpleasantness anywhere from anyone.

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

I am 35  been here since i was 28.     I don't motor cross as i have a dodgey back.

should have worked smarter and not harder when I was younger but working harder almost alowed me to retire very early.

I think after 8 years of retirement   maybe this dickhead retired to early.....   maybe its time I went and did something else   been a good break though.

Don't really need the money but alas   can't see myself here forever     got lots of life left     ha

• Like 1
Open_Ended

35 and 28 .. That's some small numbers ...At age 35, I was still hitting on all cylinders ...At the age of 28, I entered the Army ... Not exactly retirement but it did pave the way for future employment that landed me here today ...Plus, you can't really BS an old army guy on the army .... I'm a peace time NCO...

--

You need something to do ... Maybe it is a job, maybe not ... You might should be a supervisor of something where all you do is walk around and give correct orders and go home early  ... Not sure where this position is at but it could still be here ... You'll need the right attitude to find it though ...

Pinay on the west side is big on rice growing ...Wanna be a rice farmer?  3 crops produced a yr and the locals do the real work for 10% of the crop .. As the head honcho on your farm, you'll need a big white hat to wear for starters ...

--

Why no fishing? There is an entire ocean out there ...

I am 35  been here since i was 28.     I don't motor cross as i have a dodgey back.

should have worked smarter and not harder when I was younger but working harder almost alowed me to retire very early.

I think after 8 years of retirement   maybe this dickhead retired to early.....   maybe its time I went and did something else   been a good break though.

Don't really need the money but alas   can't see myself here forever     got lots of life left     ha

Edited by Open_Ended
SomeRandomGuy

been fishing    done that <<< australian    done the professional fishing thing also for a laugh     did sport fishing here for a bit in sarigao      thats worth it for guys who have not done it and looking for something to do.

tell u what I woud love to try out  not sure if there is any here though.... fly fishing....   that is something I have never done before...

not sure if I can work for someone else anymore...   I have done a bit of charity shit here too that was great till the death threats started rolling in..

lol maybe it is idle hands.  would kill for a faster interent though

ping here sucks for online gamming.  

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
Kabisay-an gid

I have done a bit of charity shit here too that was great till the death threats started rolling in..

Threatened for doing charity work? Please elaborate on that. Thanks.