What are you doing in Philippines?

Irenicus

I am coming for the cheap beer and cigarettes.

And to jello wrestle LittlePP.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Open_Ended

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Originally from Minnesota, very tired of the snow and cold. Any time I think it might be too humid/hot here I just think of -20 degrees F and the weather here seems GREAT! In my experience there did n

Im in phil cos thats where my Mrs is.  Where ever she is, thats my home.

To live in the Philippines successfully you must respect the risks involved and know how to mitigate them, and many of the long time expats know exactly how to do that. They also know how to make life

Posted Images

tokyoman

I am coming for the cheap beer and cigarettes.

Australians know how you feel

• Like 1
Davaoeno

The biggest problem with that business plan at this point is PLDT having paid off officials to deny anyone the ability to run new lines

Considering how the business is insanely profitable, why not just open a new office in an area where you can run new lines ?? Hell, start 10 insanely profitable business in 10 new areas, each with a couple of guys that you tap to be your executives.  I'm sure that in a couple of years you will be one of the richest people in the country.  

And rather than wait for a place to be built for your pets, why not just buy them a mansion with your insane profits- i'm sure they deserve nothing but the best . Then you can leave right away and start your 10 insanely profitable businesses right away .

You have obviously found the dream that most of us are searching for - the ability to live out of the country yet at the same time become insanely rich .   I'll let you go now so you can start tapping executives .

senseless

Considering how the business is insanely profitable, why not just open a new office in an area where you can run new lines ?? Hell, start 10 insanely profitable business in 10 new areas, each with a couple of guys that you tap to be your executives.  I'm sure that in a couple of years you will be one of the richest people in the country.  

And rather than wait for a place to be built for your pets, why not just buy them a mansion with your insane profits- i'm sure they deserve nothing but the best . Then you can leave right away and start your 10 insanely profitable businesses right away .

You have obviously found the dream that most of us are searching for - the ability to live out of the country yet at the same time become insanely rich .   I'll let you go now so you can start tapping executives .

Since you're such a smart[ass] guy. Riddle me this.. Where is this "new office in an area where I can run lines", going to connect to?

Here, I'll give you a hint.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Edited by senseless
Davaoeno

Since you're such a smart[ass] guy. Riddle me this.. Where is this "new office in an area where I can run lines", going to connect to?

Here, I'll give you a hint.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

ah, but you said nothing at all about submarine cables -  just " new lines"     The ability to communicate well  is very important in the modern  world 

Edited by Davaoeno

Took awhile before someone stole my rose colored glasses.. I woke up one morning and couldn't find them any more. I was the nicest guy in the world when I first came here and would have done anything for anyone. Now I'm the biggest asshole in the world and will without hestitation tell someone to "feck off". Took about 2 years for the philippines to "convert" me. By then I already had quite a few pets and a business which required me to be chained to a computer 24/7. I'm finally free of the business. Just need to have somewhere for the animals to stay permanently and then I will be "FREE! FREE AT LAST!". I can almost smell it.

Completely understand. A couple years ago one of the lenses in my rose colored glasses fell out. Having not ever spent more than a few weeks at a time there during any one trip, I am still drawn to the place. It's funny, I wait all year and can't wait to hop on a plane and get there, yet there are times when I ask myself what the feck I am doing in such a polluted, garbage laced shithole. Got to stay out of the city. I'm just a country boy ya see. 

And don't mind Dav - he's just in one of his pot stirring moods tonight.

• Like 2
senseless

ah, but you said nothing at all about submarine cables -  just " new lines"     The ability to communicate well  is very important in the modern  world 

Correct, the problem isn't running cables to end users, but running backhauls to the datacenter located in makati which will connect to all of the peering, exchange points, and carriers. New lines are new lines, it doesn't matter if they're backhaul or to end users. If I can get authorization to run backhauls to makati new ISP will be going up. Of course it takes an eternity to get anything done here.

Completely

understand. A couple years ago one of the lenses in my rose colored

glasses fell out. Having not ever spent more than a few weeks at a time

there during any one trip, I am still drawn to the place. It's funny, I

wait all year and can't wait to hop on a plane and get there, yet there

are times when I ask myself what the feck I am doing in such a polluted,

garbage laced shithole. Got to stay out of the city. I'm just a country

boy ya see. 

And don't mind Dav - he's just in one of his pot stirring moods tonight.

Just give it awhile longer and your glasses will be gone for good. Even up until like 3-4 years I was kind of ok. Then once the electric started going out literally every day I couldn't take it any more... We just up and moved in 48 hours found a new house and moved completely. So far (knock on wood), it's been just over 30 days since we moved and not a single brown out. Our 200Kva transformer is attached to only 3 houses... So that probably plays a pretty big part in it. Since we left, the old house has had no electric for 50% of the time (1 out of every 2 days there's a brown out), and the phone line has been dead for 8 days now with no PLDT truck in sight (though they've been called multiple times).

Ya, he's always starting shit. It's to be expected out of him.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 2
hyaku

Other countries on my list at the time were costa rica, japan, argentina, and chile. If I had to choose again I'd probably pick costa rica or japan. I chose the philippines because they spoke english (hahaha) and their sense of family/community (LOL).... Talk about inaccurate..

Well I should strike Japan off your list. Amazing service, no zombies but plenty of robots. Almost zero family. It's work, work, work. I'm a Japanese resident and retired here to escape after checking out most of S.E.A for 30 years rather to get away from a cold place with cold people. Not their fault. They just don't know any other life. Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
JasonEcos

When things start bothering me here I remember the phrase "you get what you pay for".

While some things are pricier here (internet for example) overall its pretty cheap. No way I could live in a tropical climate with white sand beaches in the US for what I pay here.

So when something goes wrong I hire someone for p40/hr to fix the problem (when possible) whilst I lay reading a book getting a body massage for p125/hr. I can't do that back home.

Would I still be here if money was not an option? Highly doubt it. But at my income level and type of income this country offers a good deal.

As for owning an ISP here being lucrative....I don't doubt it. I pay the same price for net here that I did back home but I get 1/10th the speed, lots of downtime, and horrible customer service. If companies like Comcast Cable can charge customers the same price, for 10 times faster service, low downtime, and employee starting pay close to p400/hr...then companies like PLDT have to be raking it in hand over fist. The problem with starting an ISP here is the big wigs at the existing places have to know how good their profit margins are, so why would they let you ruin it for them? All I can say to the gentleman trying to start an ISP is  "good luck to you", It would be nice if it happened though.

• Like 1
Headshot

I'm guessing that they would destroy anybody trying to start an ISP using the ban against foreigners owning a public utility. If FedEx could be taken down for being a public utility, I'm sure the courts would consider an ISP as a public utility. The laws here are set up to protect wealthy Filipinos from competition, and it is those same wealthy Filipinos who own the existing ISP's.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
smokey

I'm here for the woman :cool:

i heard you were a women  :Yay:

• Like 1
senseless

I'm guessing that they would destroy anybody trying to start an ISP using the ban against foreigners owning a public utility. If FedEx could be taken down for being a public utility, I'm sure the courts would consider an ISP as a public utility. The laws here are set up to protect wealthy Filipinos from competition, and it is those same wealthy Filipinos who own the existing ISP's.

Yes, it falls under the 60/40 provision. For this ISP, it will be 90% local ownership (split amongst several investors), and 10% owned by me; me being paid in shares for my time and services as a contractor to assist them with the business plan and setup of the service. You kidding? I'd never put any of my own money into a business here.

Edited by senseless
ILoveCyrus

hmmmmm.....I think I'll go to Manila and protest the SOMA.  Yeah, Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do in Pinas.