What are you doing in Philippines?

tomaw

No place is perfect so there are always things one can find to complain about, perhaps to warn others or maybe just to tell someone else as kind of a misery loves company thing. The complaints may seem to be many but since a thing that annoys you is easier to remember than a thing that you like, people tend to post about the annoyances more than the pleasantries. The answer to your question is really your question in reverse in most cases. "If you don't like it here, why would you stay?" And the answer is that we must like it here because we stay. There are some exceptions with people that for whatever reason have to stay and would leave if they could. Those people tend to be more negative and probably party because they feel trapped here.

......... I agree. Most of the negative comments seem to stem from problems with their immediate Filipino family and inlaws. Its either getting their imediate family of wife and kids out of the country or the in laws wanting money all the time.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Open_Ended

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Originally from Minnesota, very tired of the snow and cold. Any time I think it might be too humid/hot here I just think of -20 degrees F and the weather here seems GREAT! In my experience there did n

Im in phil cos thats where my Mrs is.  Where ever she is, thats my home.

To live in the Philippines successfully you must respect the risks involved and know how to mitigate them, and many of the long time expats know exactly how to do that. They also know how to make life

Posted Images

tokyoman

and it looks like from your avatar your really spending time in the sun 

and not much time at all in the dentist chair :yahoo:

• Like 1
smokey

and not much time at all in the dentist chair :yahoo:

yep them are some real coconut size choppers 

Rocketman

its a proven fact

I'd like to see where this is a "proven fact."  Just very curious..... :cool:
fred42

Not sure if this is on topic but,I have been visiting and living in country over the last 33 years and really thought I had Filipino`s sussed.

Yesterday we went shopping in ICM in Tagbilaran and then over to the market and bought 500 Pesos of fresh veg..

Got home and un loaded.. No Veg!!

She left them at the mango stall..

Anyway she asked me to stop there to go and pick them up 24 hours later..

I laughed and told her they were long gone but she assured me that the market people here in Bohol were honest and bet me that the veg would be there waiting.

She won the bet BTW...

I couldnt bloody believe it.

Im here because I think this place is AMAZING!!

Also being from Britain you can sympathise why I would never wish to go back. 

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2
senseless

Have seen a lot or negativity against philippines

Being posted here

Scammers women cheating ang among other things

Philipines this and that

But yet your still there

Makes me wonder why

Is it because your money goes a long way

Because now you can live like a king

Maids and all

Really makes me wonder why

Because I need to finish our house so our pets have somewhere to stay before we leave as I have a sense of responsibility to the creatures under my care all of whom i saved from death; quite a number i hand fed as they were found as new borns in sewers, etc.

Soon as our house is done, we're gone and never touching foot here again. This place is absolutely hopeless.

Will be nice to be a country with people that aren't brain dead zombies for a change. Hell, even in america most people still have a brain cell that flickers occasionally; they're still turning to undead, not all the way there yet.

I got suckered into coming in here in the first place. I didn't realize that the people I was talking to online were all 70 year old sexpats, etc. Who woulda thunk it, old people using a computer... The possibility never even crossed my mind.. I didn't even know what a sexpat was until I landed here and saw all these elder gentlemen with their 18 year old wives.. 7 years is enough philippines for one life time.

Other countries on my list at the time were costa rica, japan, argentina, and chile. If I had to choose again I'd probably pick costa rica or japan. I chose the philippines because they spoke english (hahaha) and their sense of family/community (LOL).... Talk about inaccurate..

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
wacobay

All I did was talk about what I loved about my country. :unknw:  If anyone finds hate in that. :moon:

Salty Dog,

If anyone found hate in what you said then the problem is theirs.

tokyoman

Other countries on my list at the time were costa rica, japan, argentina, and chile. If I had to choose again I'd probably pick costa rica or japan. I chose the philippines because they spoke english (hahaha) and their sense of family/community (LOL).... Talk about inaccurate..

Japan should open the county up for retirees

In the countryside you can get a house for less than $10K, cost of living about half of what it costs in Oz, very very safe and fantastic medical care

smokey

Because I need to finish our house so our pets have somewhere to stay before we leave as I have a sense of responsibility to the creatures under my care all of whom i saved from death; quite a number i hand fed as they were found as new borns in sewers, etc.

Soon as our house is done, we're gone and never touching foot here again. This place is absolutely hopeless.

Will be nice to be a country with people that aren't brain dead zombies for a change. Hell, even in america most people still have a brain cell that flickers occasionally; they're still turning to undead, not all the way there yet.

I got suckered into coming in here in the first place. I didn't realize that the people I was talking to online were all 70 year old sexpats, etc. Who woulda thunk it, old people using a computer... The possibility never even crossed my mind.. I didn't even know what a sexpat was until I landed here and saw all these elder gentlemen with their 18 year old wives.. 7 years is enough philippines for one life time.

well some just have a hard time with the reality of the philippines like ME .. that is why i need a break now and then .... i never knew just how much i had not seen in the usa till i moved away from the usa..... The Shywalk in nevada ,,, the tramway in palm springs..  Herst castle in california.. the huge redwoods in california... the worlds largest tree in oregon... so many things i did not realize were here 

• Like 1
hyaku

I wish it wasn't so negative. Trip to NBI yesterday. Thought I might get a bit of help speeding things up as a Senior Citizen as posted on the Immigration section on the forum. The Attorney said, "Your not a senior citizen, your a foreigner"!

Both the Tech assistance attorney Cebu and Head Immigration Attorney in Tacloban were very helpful. There's hope for us yet.

ILoveCyrus

Being posted here

Philipines this and that

But yet your still there

Makes me wonder why

Maids and all

cuz I'm PINOY....... nuf said

• Like 1
JasonEcos

Being posted here

Philipines this and that

But yet your still there

Makes me wonder why

Maids and all

Moved here because I was looking for tropical climate, nice beaches, access to western goods, widely spoken English, and low cost of living. I needed a change of pace and after researching various countries this is the one I settled on.

Why do I stay? It meets my previously listed requirements, I have friends here, and for me life is less stressful living here. Of course the low cost of living is a major plus.

In short, I am enjoying life more living here....thats why I stay.

• Like 1

So why in the world would you stay for seven years if you are so disgusted with it? Anyone who makes animals such a priority, however, has a huge heart and I have nothing but admiration for you. I only wish there were more in the world like you. 

senseless

So why in the world would you stay for seven years if you are so disgusted with it? Anyone who makes animals such a priority, however, has a huge heart and I have nothing but admiration for you. I only wish there were more in the world like you. 

Took awhile before someone stole my rose colored glasses.. I woke up one morning and couldn't find them any more. I was the nicest guy in the world when I first came here and would have done anything for anyone. Now I'm the biggest asshole in the world and will without hestitation tell someone to "feck off".  Took about 2 years for the philippines to "convert" me. By then I already had quite a few pets and a business which required me to be chained to a computer 24/7. I'm finally free of the business. Just need to have somewhere for the animals to stay permanently and then I will be "FREE! FREE AT LAST!". I can almost smell it.

I'd still like to start an ISP here, but my motivations behind it are purely selfish and financial in nature. I'll just manage it from afar telling the couple of guys that I will tap to be my executives what to do and what not to do. It's pretty insane how profitable an ISP would be here even providing unmetered (no data limitations) 100Mbit for 1300 pesos a month or unmetered 1Gbit for around 3999-4999/mo. The biggest problem with that business plan at this point is PLDT having paid off officials to deny anyone the ability to run new lines. Even as inefficient and wasteful PLDT is; they still draw huge profits every month.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1