Planet Action Adventure Moalboal vehicle slams head on into dump truck

thebob

No foreigner who is hurt here is ever going to collect - with the possible exception of maybe an airline.  When a Bachelor Bus hit me [ in Davao its a huge company]  the companies attorneys  told me that Bachelor had no insurance and that the driver would have to pay .

This is a foreign owned outfit so there may be a field day for the lawyers. There isn't a lot of love lost between me and the owner but I wouldn't wish this kind of accident on anyone.

If the tour has been booked through the resort and paid online, which many are, then there may be recourse through that route. 

All participants in these tours are made to sign waivers, but I'd guess that this is counted as a traffic accident so I'm unsure if that applies.

I'd imagine that the truck owners will also hold out for lost income while their truck is being repaired!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyaku

• Wolfpack

• SkyMan

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

regards to all who lost a friend or relative in this.   i had a  bike stack in april this year, was on my bike with gf on back, riding on trans central highway away from cebu, after you peak the mou

Planet Action Adventure vehicle slams into a dump truck head on about an hour ago. Our neighbors are saying that the driver was drunk. There were 9 foreigners in the back of the vehicle. Injured pa

photo of the pizza Lacky "The cool" made...   I would have a few beers and a pizza...then take a pizza back to our cottage at Marcosas...for the kids...    

Posted Images

smokey

quote name="SkyMan" post="678486" timestamp="1374289169"]

I was running and got hit by a pinoy and his wife on a scooter.  His insurance paid.  The pedestrian is never at fault.

did you use Larry H Parker for your lawyer and did he fight for you? so did you get 2 million or more

Wolfpack

This is a foreign owned outfit so there may be a field day for the lawyers. There isn't a lot of love lost between me and the owner but I wouldn't wish this kind of accident on anyone.

If the tour has been booked through the resort and paid online, which many are, then there may be recourse through that route. 

All participants in these tours are made to sign waivers, but I'd guess that this is counted as a traffic accident so I'm unsure if that applies.

I'd imagine that the truck owners will also hold out for lost income while their truck is being repaired!

My concern is about the injured driver...does not sound like the "guests" have any serious injuries...

As far as Planet Action Adventure goes...they do some really cool adventure tours...so I certainly hope this does not disrupt or destroy their business...

and on the most selfish note, they (also own The Last Filling Station) make the best pretzels in the Philippines...they have to stay in business!!!

hyaku

I was hit broadside at around 60 klm by two helmetless students. I was parked in Petron putting air in the tires. People from a bus shouted, "It's the foriegners fault" The rider who did acrobatics to later lie injured on the concrete told me in casualty, "It was your car or the pump". No claims there. But funnily the police measured up. In the station. I thought they did that on the highway? Only in the Philippines!

Wolfpack

UPDATE:

Driver (Lacky (the cool)) died. Mario (lead guide) minor injuries.

Sad sad news...Lacky was also the cook at Last Filling Station (also owner by Planet Action Adventure)...anyone that ever enjoyed their pizza or pretzels...that's the guy that was making them...

Wolfpack

It is the little things in life that mean the world to me...Lacky aka "The Cool" was my pretzel guy...this is a photo of his handy work...

I would order a dozen of them...take them home and freeze them...

If "The Last Filling Station" was not too busy when I would visit there...the owner did not mind him pulling up a chair and having a beer with you...

The place is just not gonna same...

post-14653-0-57087900-1374317828_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Wolfpack

photo of the pizza Lacky "The cool" made...

I would have a few beers and a pizza...then take a pizza back to our cottage at Marcosas...for the kids...

post-14653-0-52656400-1374318431_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
CebuKano

Very sorry to hear the sad news. Thanks for the update. Glad it wasn't even worse but a life lost is always tragic. I wish his family well during this time. Damn. What a waste.

• Like 3
Wolfpack

Very sorry to hear the sad news. Thanks for the update. Glad it wasn't even worse but a life lost is always tragic. I wish his family well during this time. Damn. What a waste.

They are a great group of workers there at Planet Action Adventure...they treat you like friends...

really sad news...

• Like 2
Danishman

It's really bad news about "the cool's" death. My family and I are truly sorry for the tragic ending to the accident.
Two years ago we often ate pizzas and bread made ​​of him and my oldest daughter was on several trips with both Mario and the Cool.

R.I.P

• Like 1
fredanna

panther, on 19 Jul 2013 - 19:58, said:

can,t see the driver of the bus surviving that ,plus if you were not wearing seatbelts depending how fast they were going most of the passengers would have ended up beside the driver .

HA! People wear seatbelts in the Phils???

I hope there were no riders on the roof at the time of the accident.

I don't wan to make negative comments here, and maybe I came a little close to this type of thinking, but it seems that a lot of folks who go to the Phils to retire and live like a king, forget everything about safety and common sense. "Hey if the locals travel like this, why can't I do the same"?

Our last visit there 3 yrs ago had me on the cautious side. Our son was 4 at the time and there was no way we would ride in a Tricycle. And night time driving in Bohol, at a failed attempt of my wife and the in-laws to understand how quick it gets dark in the Phils, had me gripping anything I could and hoping we would not come across some crazy driver without lights on. Our driver was like a fricken idiot, and I told me wife that. We had another driver the next morning.

Enjoy your life there! I envy you! Nice place to visit.........we changed our minds about moving there. Our wives mostly would not like to move back and see the poverty they left.

Fred........just my 1 pesos worth

Edited by fredanna
panther

photo of the pizza Lacky "The cool" made...

I would have a few beers and a pizza...then take a pizza back to our cottage at Marcosas...for the kids...

attachicon.gifApril 2012 034.jpg

poor kids and wife so sad r.i.p

regards to all who lost a friend or relative in this.

i had a  bike stack in april this year, was on my bike with gf on back, riding on trans central highway away from cebu, after you peak the mountain past the zipline place and go down, the second hairpin bend on way down, a semi trailer going opposite direction very slowly dropped a full 200litre drum of water right in front of the bike, i was going very slow as it is steep there and sharp bend, but this thing was right in front so we went over the front and got some grazes and i chipped my knee... the driver came back and thought i was going to hit him, he was scared, i explained that i accept it was an accident and it was his fault because he not secure his load and a split second difference could of made it alot worse,,, pay for damages? no way... i said to gf the its only new handle bars and gear lever and left side clutch lever/mirror and mount. he prob cant afford it... just let it be. we hung around for awhile and rode back to mandaue. minus our feed of corn which was the reason for our mountain ride that day

I like to ride, i like to drive, i drive/ride in australia and phils. i am aware that at anytime in either country your number may be up. i would rather still get out and die riding than be too scared to because of the difference in the way it is in different countries though....

and another thing, philippines may have kaotic roads but they dont have the road rage like in australia...

I'm gonna ride on, ride on (standin on the edge of the road. thumb in the air. one of these days, gonna change my evil ways)....

:)

• Like 4
CebuKano

CEBU, Philippines - A passenger vehicle collided with a truck in Barangay Matutinao, Badian last Friday killing the driver and leaving 11 passengers, including eight foreigners, injured.

The police have identified the fatality as Marwel Pocong, driver of the black Isuzu Elf passenger vehicle. Pocong and his passengers came from Kawasan Falls and were on their way back to Moalboal when their vehicle collided with the cargo truck driven by Vic Balansag at 3 p.m. Balansag was also injured in the collision. 

The other victims were identified as tour guides Jimmy Tapales, 41; Mario Tapales, 46; and Edwin Abrenica, 22;  German national Julia Weisheitinger, 23; Australian nationals Samuel Tiaiata, 23, and Denisse Stephanie Campos, 23.

They were brought to Badian District Hospital but were referred to a private hospital in Cebu City because of the serious injuries they sustained.

The other victims who are now in stable condition at the Badian District Hospital  were identified as German national Polan Grether, 22; and Danish nationals Joan Jappesen, 26; Tine Gjerke Hemmingan, 27; Hance Mathias, 30; and Just Peversen Soeren, 26.

Insp. Edgar Labi, Badian police chief, said that Pocong rammed into the cargo truck which was coming from the opposite direction while negotiating at a blind curve in sitio Mandag-om.

Labi said the victims were heading back to Planet Action Resort in Moalboal town after taking a dip at Kawasan Falls when the accident happened. — (FREEMAN)

• Like 2
thebob

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2013/07/20/8-foreigners-injured-accident-293599

8 foreigners injured in accident

By Davinci S. Maru

Saturday, July 20, 2013

A VAN carrying foreign nationals collided with a truck in Barangay Matutinao, Badian on Friday, killing a driver and injuring 11 passengers.

Insp. Edgar Labi, head of Badian Police Station, said the accident happened at 3:30 p.m. when the black Isuzu Elf (GHZ-667) driven by Marwel Pocong encroached on the other lane while negotiating a blind curve.

Pocong of Barangay Basdiot, Moalboal died from severe injuries when brought to a hospital in Cebu City.

The driver of the white cargo truck (WHZ-974), Vic Cabansag, 31, was injured.

Labi said the van, whose passengers included three tour guides and eight foreigners, came from Kawasan Falls and were heading to Moalboal at the time of the incident.

German national Julia Weisheitinger, 23, Australian nationals Denisse Stephanie Campos, 23 and Samuel Tiaiata, 23, sustained severe injuries.

Tour guides Jimmy Tapales, 41, Mario Tapales, 46, and Edwin Abrenica, 22, were also seriously wounded.

Labi said they are now being treated at a hospital in Cebu City.

German national Polan Grether, 22; and Danish nationals Joan Jappesen, 26; Tine Gjerke Hemmingan, 27; Hance Mathias, 30; and Just Peversen Soeren, 26 were treated at the Badian District Hospital. They were released after their injuries were treated.

Cabansag was wounded in the forehead. His helper survived unscathed.

Witnesses told police the van was traveling at high speed when it encroached on the other lane upon reaching a blind curve in Sitio Mandag-om.

The van then hit the truck head-on, Labi said.

Pocong was pinned between the two vehicles. It took time for rescuers to pull him out.

Labi said he has talked with Pocong’s employer, who confirmed about the death of the victim.

• Like 1